The following bird photos are not of a 'rare' bird for South Texas, but they are scarce here in my neck of the woods! Mostly, they can be found in good numbers farther southwest of me...closer to Brownsville, Texas and along the Rio Grande River. Oftentimes, tho they do have a call all their own that can be that like a croaking sound, I have heard and witnessed that they can also mock other bird calls. When, I DO see them here, I also have a difficult time getting a really good photo of them since most times when I find 'em, they are in trees with green foliage, in sunlight, and their true colors blend too well with the leaves. This is the best I can come up with in pictures...



GREEN JAYS
photos taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Jay
- - - -
Sometimes, I can see close to a dozen of these following birds just while driving across the causeway along the intercoastal channel; heading to and from the islands. They're perched on the power lines along the highway, either with their morning catch, or scouting out the water for their breakfast. Then, again, at times of the year, they can also be as scarce as the jays; disappearing from the hunting scenes in the morning all together. They migrate into northern areas, and are busy raising their young. Once the year's hatchlings fledge, they then return in strong numbers along the shore and inland. These two photos were taken through the car's tinted windshield once I got a chance too pull over safely, so not too clear...


OSPREY
photos taken: Humble Channel
habitat map: Osprey
- - - -
On a hot, humid morning, I slowly drove through the winding narrow road of another park just west of town. I had the air conditioning on full throttle, but I also had the window open to see the far away grassy areas, looking for distant birds that can be well-camouflaged. Then, I heard the ruckus of the loud calls of parrots/parakeets!! The parakeet population has 'exploded' in South Texas, once they were introduced to America via Florida...they moved west and took over. I pulled off the pavement, under the shade of a large oak tree and got out to walk up the hill where the sounds were. Yep, sure 'nough, the Monk Parakeets were flying from palm tree to palm tree to oak tree to willow tree! And, as with all the photos shared here today, the lighting was no good for photography, but I took a couple of photos to record my sightings for the day....
MONK PARAKEET
photos taken: West Guth Park
habitat map: Parakeet

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
The jays are gorgeous! I'm so glad you posted them, the pictures are really not bad. And I get to see them up close! We do have quite a few Ospreys around here, living by the river. But it is not easy to snap them. I snap one whenever I see it, but usually have to delete it. They just won't get close at all, they are huge and impressive. The Monk Parakeets look larger than most!
ReplyDeleteThose Green Jays are awesome, and your images are really just fine Anni. What a beautiful bird they are and I had neither heard of them, or seen images of them before. Love learning about new things and this was a great one. Hope that you are doing well. Take care~
ReplyDeleteYou meedn't apologize for any of these images. You took them to freeze some precious moments in time, not to hang them on a wall. Indeed, the Green Jays look great. I only saw them in the Lower Rio Grande Valley on a couple of occasions years ago when we visited our son when he worked as a meteorologist in Brownsville.
ReplyDeleteThe Monk Parakeet is really something to see! Looks like it escaped from someone's bird cage! Your photos are wonderful....I knew they would be! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThose green jays are just stunning! I've never seen one before!
ReplyDeleteWe don't have green jays in Virginia. And our only parakeets are in cages.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteWonderful series of photos of these different bird species.
The osprey is really great.
All photos are perfectly sharp.
Best regards, Irma
That Green Jay is a new one on me Anni. I can fully understand how difficult they might be to photograph in the trees, shaded or sunny or more likely a mix of both. It's only us people with cameras who understand how troublesome these birds can be. A chance to even photograph an Osprey would be nice for me. So scarce here unless I go to Scotland over the border.
ReplyDeleteHello,These are lovely birds and photos Anni! The only one I have not seen is the Green jay, they are on my most want to see list. I love their pretty colors, beautiful bird. Thanks for hosting and thanks for linking up your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and have a great new week!
ReplyDeleteAnni, great captures, especially the Green Jay. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are great and you find the most interesting birds. Our jays are just boring and blue up here. Hope you've had a great Sunday.
ReplyDeleteGreen Jays have such astonishing colors. I am surprised every time I see a photo of one.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful week!
the monk and the osprey I see here a lot. wow! I did not even know there is such a bird as the green jay. he is gorgeous... much prettier than our blue jays...
ReplyDeleteNever seen a green jay. Gorgeous boid.
ReplyDeleteAnni, while those Osprey are favorites of mine (as if you didn't know), that Green Jay is an absolute beauty!!...:)JP
ReplyDelete