Held Captive...


HEAVY WITH PHOTOS!!!
Visiting the Texas State Aquarium on the harbor shore here in town one Sunday morning recently, I went for one purpose...the newer wing that recently opened this year after three years in the making: The Caribbean Adventure. All things Caribbean. They 'run free' in the wing, but yet, still captive. I was hoping to find the Sunbittern Bird again, and this time hopefully, if I did find it, it would eventually open its wings to full span so I could get the great display. When you first enter, through the blind, the first pond [wings are clipped] are the Caribbean Flamingos. On this day, not only the very large flamingos but some of the Scarlet Ibis were nearby. The Ibis are able to fly in the open up two stories of the building where there are tropical trees for them to perch in/on. Besides the tropical birds, there are snakes, amphibians, four legged animals that roam about....some in glass enclosures...fish tanks galore with great sunken ship replicas, etc.

To share what I saw on this day, I'll begin with the Caribbean Flamingos Pond...






...then, the Scarlet Ibis




...next a 'new' one that I missed in prior visits, the Southern Screamer


note: in the first picture, I also saw my 'target' bird...the Sunbittern [but not displaying its open wing]

And the Sunbittern:




....Flying just above our heads, up into the 2nd story [clear skylights for the roofing so the sun and sky shows through] of the area, I spied another 'new bird': The Red Capped Cardinal




Keeping an eye on the Sunbittern for any more movement/wing span, I spotted these around the corner....





Then, we viewed the tanks from above [the tanks are below ground where you feel you're diving into the sea] and watched barracuda, sharks, stingrays, and fishes. Along with tree sloths and other mammals and reptiles. Fun, but I was obsessed with one thing...


IT OPENED ITS WINGS FOR DISPLAY!!! This is what I came for, I was pleased as punch.




Leaving this wing we crossed to the other side of the building where our native habitat is seen....fish, mammals, free to touch displays of shells, live sea creatures, etc. I stopped at the pond where there were large bass and catfish. Above the water's surface were white ibis, roseate spoonbills and one little green heron...




Once done indoors, you can go outside where the dolphins are, along with turtle tanks, alligators, otter, bronze sculptures, observation decks that jut out into the bay, a stingray pond where you can touch them as they swim in the pool, an outdoor auditorium,  and a special area for the rehabilitation ...for injured birds to heal before re-releasing into the wild if possible. On this particular day, a Golden Eagle...



...and outside the compound, nearby the inlet where the WWII aircraft carrier is permanently docked [it's a museum], I spotted a Brown Pelican 'riding the surf'....





This is the Texas State Aquarium! I encourage you, if you have time, to explore the web site with the provided link here.  [it's free to enter the website...but....

if you visit this aquarium in person some time...Be forewarned, its entry fee is high. Easily spending $100 for a family of four what with food, etc.. Coffee shops, dolphin shows, gift stores and videos. It's money well-spent, going to educational value, family fun, and experiences of animals and sea life most never get to have.]


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



14 comments:

  1. Wow! When it opens it's wings, it's a whole new experience! Amazing! Love that Scarlet Ibis too and the flamingos. What a great place to spend the day...with your camera of course! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni, what a great post. The visit to the aquarium looks like a fun time, they have some beautiful birds. I love the flamingos, Scarlet Ibis and the Sunbittern. The Green heron and Pelicans are all time favorites. Wonderful photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a fabulous wing display, but also just the whole place sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful birds! Love the Golden Eagle photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun place. Such amazing photos, glad the Sunbittern cooperated with you on it's photo-shoot. Thanks for sharing all your great pictures with us. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful place to visit and you got some superb photographs Anni . You target bird with its wings outstretched is fabulous. Have a great week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful series of different birds shows you Anni.
    All perfectly photographed, my compliments.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish we had a place like that here. I wouldn't mind that the birds and animals were captive, just a chance to practice some photography and see things I wouldn't other wise get to meet. I think Sun Bittern would be on my "must see" list too. Great pics today Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glorious images, all, but that Sun Bittern display was truly amazing! Great timing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you landed in bird heaven, I have never seen a scarlet ibis or a bittern or a red cap cardinal or a screamer, the others I have. all the photos are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Anni, while I was totally in Heaven scrolling through your super magnificent shots, when I got to that Golden Eagle, I melted!! We have a rehab out this way too and they (unfortunately/fortunately have two Goldens who just so happen to be "in love")...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents