Indian Point


At North Bay in Corpus Christi, between the city and a small town of Portland, Texas there are two areas I frequent .... one, Indian Point Park [with a fishing pier and an observation deck for birding]. The other area is connected via a walkway along Sunset Lakes [Portland, Texas]. On a foggy morning, I drove there and walked the distance; seeing quite a few birds. Herons, ibis, osprey, godwits, curlews, sandpipers, gulls, pelicans, egrets, a few newly arriving ducks [mergansers and buffleheads], spoonbills, willets, sandpipers and more. At one time the sun tried to break out of the misty air, but not for long as the fog continued to linger throughout the couple hours I was there. Here are some of them I photographed....


Red Breasted Merganser [female]
habitat map:  Merganser


FORSTER'S TERN [winter, non-breeding plumage]
habitat map:  Tern


TRI COLORED HERON
habitat map:  Heron


MARBLED GODWIT
habitat map:  Godwit


WHITE IBIS [and a snowy egret]

habitat map:  Ibis


AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
habitat map:  Pelican


LONG BILLED CURLEW [note the similar marking and color with above Godwit]
habitat map:  Curlew


OSPREY [feeding]
habitat map:  Osprey

...and a very special one off the pier, feeding on crabs! A Winter Texan!!  This is the only area I've ever seen them.  I've HEARD them at Copano Bay near Rockport, Texas; their haunting, beautiful, mournful calls.  I found a 5 second mp3 audio....listen HERE


COMMON LOON
habitat map:  Loon



- - -

I got myself an early Christmas present.  I have been using my old and scratched pair of binoculars for years, birding, and wanted a larger magnification and viewing range at 1000 yards.  Going to Academy Sports here in town, I inspected all the displayed binoculars on the counter and thought these were ideal for what I wanted.  I've tried 'em out a couple of times while out birding already.  It will take some 'getting used to the weight' for now, my vision is super, but after a while, my hands shake....making them a bit cumbersome.  Yet...I can see much further, more clearly, AND a with a much wanted, wider range-view. Here is one review screenshot I found online...







For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:



or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:







12 comments:

  1. Hello Anni,
    Awesome variety of birds and photos. You do see some wonderful birds there, I love the Godwit and Curlew. The Tricolored Heron is lovely. I love using my Nikon Monarch binocs, they have great focus and lighting. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice variety of birds, and beautifully photographed! My binoculars are over 40 years old. I was so used to them that I did not realize how bad they were until the cover started separating and I sent them in to be repaired under the Bausch & Lomb lifetime warranty. The successor company is now called Bushnell but they not only repaired them but refurbished the lenses in and out. I could not believe how much better they became! I still have them -- 10x40 but you will benefit from your higher power when looking at distant birds, especially on the water. Lots of shake and limited field of view for small birds in trees, though. You will soon adjust to that and enjoy the views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are marvelous! Think of a monopod

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are nice binoculars, and perfect for you. Looks like they sold out, too! The LOON, oh my gosh. Thank you for the Christmas present of his call. One of my favorite sounds in the world. It is both gorgeous and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful birds. Your Ibis and Pelican photos are especially beautiful. Congratulations on the new binoculars. I'm sure it will make your birding forays more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also enjoyed the call of the loon very much. I used to hear this often as a child but where I live now I never hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband just looked over my shoulder...I think I'll probably see some of these neat binoculars in the wish list soon! heehee! I'm so glad you got them. And I love the photos today. Years ago I went to Indian Point! I would love to go back! Enjoy your weekend! Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Anni,
    Beautiful pictures of the different birds.
    Photo 6 and 7 are my favorite.
    I enjoyed your blog, I wish you a beautiful Sunday.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great selection of photos, love the Godwit and the Osprey.
    As from tomorrow we will be away for at least 6 weeks caring for my FIL who has Alzheimers. Not sure if I will have time to blog but I should be back in February. Have a good Christmas and all the best for 2019. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Gotwit, he is new to me. and I thought you were seeing things when you said white ibis and a snow egret. I stared at it until I saw the 3rd beak.. beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. many years ago my first pair of bins were Tasco 10x40 roof prisms and i had them for a good number of years and no problems, so good luck with your new ones Anni. A good pair of bins adds so much to a birding trip. Shame about your slightly dodgy weather but you came away with a super list and great pics as usual. It's ages since I've seen a Loon (Great Northern Diver to us).

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents