P I N S [National Seashore Federal Park]


I believe I photographed a "new" bird for me. I've seen the Short Billed Dowitcher, and heard of others seeing the long billed dowitcher. On a cloudy, chilly, damp day at the Bird Basin, on Padre Island National Seashore, I drove past a small rain water collected pond, and along with several Blue Winged Teal, Stilts, Egrets, and Red Winged Blackbirds, I spotted these. I thought they were Marbled Godwits at first, then I noticed there was no pink on the beak/bill...so, Godwits were out. Dowitchers?  I checked and compared my poor photos with my guide books once home, and they're very much identical to the short billed except for one distinctive characteristic, the long billed has BARRED stripes just under the wing, while the short billed dowitcher is spotted just under the wing...I see bars/stripes, and I am quite sure they're larger in bulk/size, not to mention the length of the bill...could this be a new one for me? If I am incorrect in ID, please inform me.

I apologize for the fuzzy photos...they were taken through the car window and I had no place to prop my hands to steady the camera weight...





LONG BILLED DOWITCHER
photos taken: Bird Basin - Padre Island National Seashore
habitat map: Dowitcher

Once I parked the car, I walked behind the Basin to traipse along the back side of the area, known to local birders that Piping Plovers [rare] can be found. Well, I saw two different plovers, but not the Piping Plover on this day. Also seen in the back acres of Bird Basin were:

...what I believe is the Savannah Sparrow [yellow eyebrow]


SAVANNAH SPARROW
photos taken: Behind Bird Basin {PINS}
habitat map: Sparrow



BLACK BELLIED PLOVER [winter - non breeding]
photo taken: Behind Bird Basin {PINS}
habitat map: Plover


GREATER YELLOWLEGS - larger and longer legs that LESSER Yellowlegs
photo taken: Behind Bird Basin {PINS}
habitat map: Yellowlegs


LITTLE BLUE HERON
photo taken: Bird Basin {PINS}
habitat map: Heron

Other Birds seen on this day -2 hours:

Red Winged Blackbirds -6
Snowy Egret -3
Blue Winged Teal -x
White Tailed Hawk -1
Semi Palmated Plover -1
Sanderling -x
Black Necked Stilts -4
Willets -8
Black Skimmer -2
Great Blue Heron -3
Tri Colored Heron -1
Laughing Gulls -x
Grackles -x
Ruddy Turnstones -14
Brown Pelicans -5
[heard only] Meadowlark -1
NOTE: The Aplomado Falcon is laying on a nest!!



For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below
and paste into your blog post:

or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

18 comments:

  1. The dowitcher certainly has barred flanks which is consistent with the Short-billed species. Nice bright photos of the Savannah Sparrow. I have seen none at all this past winter or migration season. Usually have several. No other sparrows either, a very odd situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, great sighting of the Long-billed Dowitcher. It is time to see the shorebirds moving through here too. The Savannah Sparrow is pretty. Love the Little Blue heron. Thanks for hosting. Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting and so wonderful to get the photos...they are good! Love your pretty Little Blue Heron! He's one of our favs! My post that I'm linking is showing a bird we hadn't ID ed before. We've probably seen it but thought it was a flycatcher. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always so much fun to see a new bird! You got good pictures, too. And he is a strange one. The Yellowlegs and Plover are impressive. What a fabulous birding day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a day for birding! I would love to see half of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter and thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful birds !!
    Happy Easter !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure you are correct about the Short-billed Dowitcher Anni. I saw lots in Canada where the flight call is very, very distinctive as it is almost identical to a (Ruddy) Turnstone. Good to see your other waders too, the Grey Plover and the "legs".

    That yellow eyebrow of the Savannah Sparrow is very distinctive - you captured it really well.

    Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are all beautiful to me and excellent through the glass.. I love the blue heron at the end and the Savannah Sparrow is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures of the Dowitcher. The Savannah Sparrow is also a pretty looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never even heard of a Dowitcher, but I bet you have identified correctly. I especially love the Little Blue Heron. Hope you are having a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful bird portraits ... and congrats on the Long billed dowicher.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You see some interesting birds, lovely post Happy Easter Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always good to have sightings of a new bird Anni. Hope you are having a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Anni
    These are beautiful pictures of the birds.
    Nice that you have photographed a new species.
    Do you want to place my link, I cannot do it.
    I wish you a nice Easter.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great total for just 2 hours!
    Love the Little Blue Heron - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a birder...but I love Nature. Every feather-, scaled-, or coated-critter gives me a high.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents