TODAY is our 51st wedding anniversary!!!
Read more...here



BOOBY [BLUE FOOTED?]
photos taken: Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Booby
[according to this map link...two have been seen/recorded/confirmed in Texas]
While I am in my March bird photo folder, I picked a few and added ones to share from that month...

GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER [notice its tongue]
photo taken: West Guth ParkOver the last two months, since mid-March, I've been doing a bit of research now and then, off and on, since I saw this bird in ARK [a facility in Port A for injured bird rehab]. I do know it's a booby, but I think it's NOT a brown booby. I've read and searched numerous sites that tell me the brown booby [both male, female AND immature] has nearly identical colors and markings. And that includes YELLOW feet. This booby has speckling on the head and a bit of the throat [brown booby doesn't] and blue-gray feet!!! I was confused. Especially since I had it in my head when I saw it...blue footed. But, the young college student that was feeding the caged birds, said she thought it was a brown. So, I kept her words in mind as I drove home, and then brought out the laptop and my books. Now, watching PBS Nature programs, I have seen the Blue Footed from the Pacific side of our country. Their feet are nearly turquoise. But, upon further reading, the Blue Footed Booby from the Galapogos Islands "blue" is much grayer in hue [and Peruvian?]. So...perhaps my first assumption is correct. I know for sure it's not a brown, nor a red footed...I think blue footed is all that is left to conclude the ID. What do you think?
Read more...here



BOOBY [BLUE FOOTED?]
photos taken: Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Booby
[according to this map link...two have been seen/recorded/confirmed in Texas]
While I am in my March bird photo folder, I picked a few and added ones to share from that month...

GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER [notice its tongue]
habitat map: Woodpecker

SNOWY PLOVER
photo taken: Bird Basin, PINS
habitat map: Plover

WILSON'S PLOVER
photo taken: PINS [Padre Island National Seashore]
habitat map: Plover


AMERICAN AVOCET [breeding colors]
photos taken: Leonabelle Birding Center
habitat map: Avocet

WHIMBREL
photo taken: Packery Channel Park [behind the park in the mudflats]
habitat map: Whimbrel
and paste into your blog post:

The birds do like to confuse us, don't they?
ReplyDeleteLove the Golden-fronted Woodpecker - most unusual pose!
Have a wonderful weekend!
PS. We are getting a lot of rain, but that just means I can settle in with a good book and READ!
Congratulations on your anniversary, quite something in this day and age!
ReplyDeleteAs I have never seen a Booby I can hardly comment, but those very blue legs look like a giveaway to me! Weather here is rubbish and photography is not easy. We are away next Thursday for 10 days so will catch up when we return. Looks like we are going to be holidaying in rubbish weather as well!!😒 See you when we get back.
Happy Anniversary! I'm so happy for you! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! And I'm not good with the IDs....so many variations and juveniles that I'm always confused! Love your photos though. I'm learning something new every time I visit you! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteI agree, your booby is the blue one :) I would love to see it too but they don´t come my way. Loved to see the avocet. There are four of them, I have seen two. The european and the australian :) really beautiful birds. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat shots! Congrats on your anniversary. That's impressive!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures of the birds.
Photo 8 and 9 are my favorite.
Best regards, Irma
I'm thinking Blue-footed Booby too Anni. I love those little Plovers. Congrats on your anniversary!!!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, I agree, it is the Blue-footed Booby. Great find and photos. I love the cute Snowy Plover, Wilson's Plover and the Avocets are beautiful. Great post and photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your Mother's Day. Have a great new week ahead.
ReplyDeleteI think you are correct in your identification. What an awesome find. I like the plovers and the Avocets are putting on a show for you. Happy Mother's Day!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anno
ReplyDeleteI think that Bluefoot was lost, huh
Those blue feet are very convincing!
ReplyDeletethe cute Booby's put a smile on my face. they are adorable. I have never even heard the name of Booby. I did say a lot when growing up, don't be such a Boob. those short legs are just to cute and funny... happy anniversary and the other birds are beautiful
ReplyDeleteThat is amazing you found that rare bird! I’m so impressed. I am already envious of all of your “everyday” birds and your wonderful photos. Such wonderful birding in your area! Happy Belated Anniversary to you both!
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary! Wonderful birds, as ever.
ReplyDelete