FIRST, I HAVE A QUESTION: Do any of you own a spotting scope? I want to buy one that doesn't cost much. But, if you do have one, or have knowledge of them, my question is ...Is a 20-60x60 any good at a distance of say....a quarter of a mile viewing distance?
Different Parks...different birds, and a song:
So often, when birding and no one is around to hear me, I find myself in song; especially if I get a good photo op like the flycatcher image I share today found below. Or, I will play her CD on the car as I drive to a birding hotspot. My favorite birding song is from a British artist, Susan Boyle - song video [linked] has over 2 million hits. Do you sing? Oh, and by the way, NO....I don't sing when birds are close. That would scare 'em away to never return.
Lyrics
Want to spread my wings and fly
Away into the sky
How I dream to be so free
No more sadness no more pain
No more anger no more hate
How I dream to have those wings and fly into the sky
If now, I could grant my wish
I'd wish to have those wings
Those wings just like the birds
That fly up in the air
So high up in the air
With feathers bright and fair
No wealth nor power can make
My heart filled with such joy
Want to spread my wings and fly
Away into the sky
How I dream to be so free
No more sadness no more pain
No more anger no more hate
How I dream to have those wings and fly into the sky
Want to spread my wings and fly
Away into the sky
How I dream to be so free
No more sadness no more pain
No more anger no more hate
How I dream to have those wings and fly into the sky
I'd fly
With those wings to the sky


LARK SPARROW
photos taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Sparrow



SUMMER TANAGER
photos taken: Refugio Texas
habitat map: Tanager

EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE
photo taken: Packery Channel Audubon Sanctuary
habitat map: Dove

CHUCK WILL'S WIDOW
photo taken: Blucher Park
habitat map: Widow

VERMILLION FLYCATCHER [or sometimes spelled with ONE "L"]
photo taken: West Guth Park
habitat map: Flycatcher

NORTHERN CARDINAL
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Cardinal


RED SHOULDERED HAWK
photos taken: Country Club Golf Course
habitat map: Hawk
Would you like to fly like a bird? [I envy them to hatch a nest full and the babies are grown and on their own after only a few weeks - instead of years like we humans. [just kidding]
and paste into your blog post:

Oh, the tanager is terrific, and the flycatcher is fabulous! Love the cozy cardinals and the handsome hawk. The Lark Sparrow has such a distinctive face pattern. I found a nest near our second home in Illinois 3 years ago, the first ever reported in Kane County, as it is on the eastern edge of its breeding range. The Chuck-Will's-Widow is one bird I have not photographed. Only this week, in the dark before sunrise, I recorded the song of one which was not more than 15 feet away, but never set eyes on it!
ReplyDeleteOh how I wish I could fly too
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni! The Summer Tanager is a beautiful bird. I would love to see the Chuck-wills-Widow. Love the Cardinal couple and the Hawk! Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your day and weekend.
ReplyDeleteVortex Anni.
ReplyDeletehttps://scopesman.com/spotting-scope/
Susan Boyle is a good choice. Look up her video on You Tube when she won Britain's Got Talent. A great find - just like your bird today Anni.
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/Y_JL2equCEU
ReplyDeleteI don't think I should join in...in song either! Very scary! Love the Vermillion Flycatcher! What an amazing photo! So much beauty in the world of birds! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteWonderful bird photos.
ReplyDeleteA Chuck Will's Widow and Vermillion Flycatcher! These are very special sightings!! I DO know Susan Boyle, but have never heard this song. Perfect words for birdwatching!
ReplyDeleteLovely song. Your red birds are stunning!
ReplyDeleteThe brightly colored Summer Tanager is my favorite today, though I really do like Hawks, too!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful day!
Hello Anni
ReplyDeleteYou will see beautiful series of photos.
My favorites are photo3, 5 and 10.
Do you want to place my link, I cannot do it.
Best regards, Irma
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletebeautiful shots and species today. And yes, I would like to have wings to fly away. And no, I dont sing and I sold my spottingscope 3 months ago. Did not think it was worth keeping it. Not much birds around nowadays and it is heavy to carry around. Today I only carry the camera. Thanks for the song. :)
ReplyDeleteThe tanager is a brilliant colour. We have a Bushman scope 20 - 60x60 but have to admit we don't use it that much, always so much to carry around when out. I tend to use the zoom on my camera more to see that birds or id them even if I'm not taking photos. Not sure if I would want to fly - unless cameras were bird size! I've been away from Bogland for ages, a month away visiting family on the other side of Canada and then just catching up on things when we got back. It has been such a rainy spring we haven't been out that much to do any birdwatching. A couple of our favourite places are closed due to flooding as water levels are so high. At one park the boardwalk is all under water :(
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, thanks for visiting my website. FYI - All the comments you left did go through but get held for moderation as the email addy you use is invalid. I did reply to them but you won't receive the reply in your email but can see it on the website. Happy birding.
ReplyDeleteAnni, Up, Up, and Away. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove the words of the song and love the photos. Most of the birds are certainly ones that I never get to see and do not know. Great photography. Take care Diane xx
ReplyDeleteI need to go birding with you one day!
ReplyDeletethat tanager is truly amazing, I have never seen one. so beautiful. Susan Boyle is amazing also. I don't sing but I whistle and hum all the time. I don't hear words, I hear the melody or tune... and when I hear something it sticks and I can't stop humming it.
ReplyDeleteOH, so many pretty birds! They are all so beautiful. I asked Roger about the spotting scope....he said that sounds like it should do it. Keep in mind he has had a stroke, but odd things like that he remembers. We have a cheap one...cannot remember the power. Rather than use a tripod, he made like a gun-stock for it.
ReplyDelete