Babies....


On my 2019 calendar, I noticed this week in May, the Aplomado Falcons that use the nesting box along the island highway between Padre Island and Mustang Island had hatched their brood. So, I wanted to make a trip there this year to see if the same happened again. And sure 'nough. It did. As I pulled over on the opposite side of the road to park by the posted sign [no trespassing], I first noticed that Pa Falcon was up on the power line. The nesting box about 1/4 mile away [maybe 1/2 mile...I'm not good at judging distance without my step counting. LO] in the grassy fields, showed signs of Ma Falcon inside. I am really too lazy to get my tripod set up, so I took a few photos the best I could with my zoom lens, tho shaky I was [and of course the sea breeze was blowing keeping me more unfocused]. It seems she was busy with two babies!



I left the area and stopped at one of my favorite towns on the island, spending about three hours there and then headed home...a quick drive-by on the way back, I slowed down near the nest box and didn't get out of the car [photos below from the car window], I saw that both parents were now on the power line, preening. So the hatchlings were more than likely fed and sleeping. And since they were once well populated in Texas, then nearly disappeared, now making a comeback....I sure hope they survive and those raptors and coyotes leave them be...


APLOMADO FALCON
photos taken:  Mustang Island
habitat map:  Falcon
Length:  16 inches
Wingspan:  36 inches

Since I once again registered for the American Heart Association's 5K Heart Walk [this is my fourth year participating], I have been keeping busy catching up on my 5 mile walks to get in shape for the Fall Event. My early morning hours, I am concentrating on walking more than birding right now, so bird photos may be less in volume until I get enough practice in for the 5K. Oh, I won't STOP birding. But, it'll be less stopping to take photos on my walks; more than likely.  At least for a while.


Always use HYPERLINK
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Those participating this week:

Jean at Not So Organized
Birds Seen in Europe and Africa
Betty Crow
Liz Needle
NatureFootstep
Linda, Virginia, USA
Travels With Birds [no hyperlink]
The Early Birder
Denise VA
Eileen
Lea's Menagerie
Ella
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Phil UK
Lavender Dreams
A Quiet Corner


19 comments:

  1. It's always wonderful to see young ones! We are always on the lookout. Way to go training for the 5K! I love to walk but I go every other day....that keeps me from getting too tired or too sore! lol Happy weekend! It's HOT now isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with those 5ks Anni. I admire what you are doing, more so as my old knees and wont let me do that. That nest box looks most unusual with the upright slats like that. Maybe you could tell us why they are designed like that rather than a simple platform? Enjoy your walking Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that zoom lens served you very well-- and excellent image stabilization to get thos intimate shots of the babies. I have trouble putting in 10K steps on my Fitbit-- usually hardly hit 8K. Always stopping to smell the roses! Good luck and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good pictures, considering how high up it was and far away you were! so cute! Take care, carry water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nowadays babies were almost everywhere ... What a nursery ... LOL
    You have taken beautiful pictures!
    This afternoon I saw a Buzzard! I was really lucky !!
    Enjoy your walking Sunday and don't forget to take your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Great sighting of the falcons and the babies. Love the closeup. Good luck with your 5k. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed these babies Anni. Good luck on the 5K. It's great that you do that. Wishing you good health and sunny skies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring is always "baby time", isn't it. My first child was a springtime baby too. :-) Enjoy your walks. I admire you so much for your participation in a 5K!! Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was happy to get an update on the Aplomado Falcon reintroduction programme and know that it has been a success. I first saw an Aplomado Falcon in south Texas well over twenty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Falcon. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you would love to see my post this week. I forgot aboutlinking it as your link opens when I am about to go to bed. :) And then I accidently posted your own link too:( Love your babies, I have babies too. Take care, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy seeing all the new life in the spring. Thank you for sharing these amazing birds. Hope your walk goes well. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so jealous of you being able to follow these falcons, one of my favourites. Good luck with the walking, I have started back walking over the past month, you won't catch me out in winter!! I walked 8.2 kms today, just over 5 miles. Stay safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super late linking up this weekend! Falcons are such interesting looking birds. Good luck on your 5K! Hope you have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Falcons!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. those are really nice boxes for the nests and awesome shots of them in side. good job preparing for the 5k.. we watched ma and pa osprey but there nest are giant sized and perched on light poles

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to look this falcon up again to see the size...so glad there were babies! Always fun to see baby birds of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. AWESOME find and photos, Anni. My heart races when I see things like this so remaining still is just not an option for me!!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents