It took two days for the bird activity in our yard and neighborhood to return to normal after Hurricane Hanna made landfall just a few miles from our house [Sunday July 26]. The morning before the storm came in to shore, I did notice all the grackles and seagulls heading in a easterly direction over-head from the Kingsville area. So, I knew that the storm was headed farther south...they were all getting to safe areas. At least that's what I think. You can tell by the bird activity what the weather is going to do. They are good predictors if you pay attention. [my opinion] I guess you can say I'm part of the "old wives" club.
Anyway, needless to say, I have not been out doing my birding for another week. Still a lot of flooding [one area north of us got a reported 19 inches of rain in a 24 hour time period]...no use trying to drive anywhere since all beaches are closed for cleanup and flooded [or soon to be muddied] parks, etc. That makes it three weeks in a row! But, I have gone out along the beaches to check out the damage. Some areas, heavy damage to structures and even erosion at the dunes while other nearby areas, minimal damage. It depends on the surge and the fact of which side [clock-wise or counter-clockwise] of the hurricane the wind was. Hanna did most damage with the SURGE before the 90MPH winds came in, I think. Twenty foot high surge is bound to rip down structures, etc.
So, more photos from my archives never published:

LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
photo taken: South Bay Park
habitat map: Shrike
Length: 9 inches
Wingspan: 13 inches

TREE SWALLOW
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Swallow
Length: 6.5 inches
Wingspan: 12.5 inches

Fledged GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
photo taken: Bazemore Park
habitat map: Woodpecker
Length: 9.5 inches
Wingspan: 17 inches

YELLOW CROWNED NIGHT HERON [young]
photo taken: Lakeview Park
habitat map: Heron
Length: 25 inches
Wingspan: 45 inches

GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken: Hans Suter Refuge
habitat map: Heron
Length: 48 inches
Wingspan: 50 inches
...and times when I am cooped up indoors, from boredom, I sketch. Sometimes I draw, freehand, birds. Results are not always accurate, but I try to get as close to 'real' and proportionate as I can:

A colored pencil sketch of a Hooded Merganser [male]

Participating blogs:
Linda
Birds in Europe and Africa
Christina
Rosyfinch Ramblings
Jidhu Jose
Arun
Sallie
Lea
Nature FootStep
Lavender Dreams
Eileen
Travels With Birds [never uses hyperlink!]
Phil
Jean
Your colored pencil sketch looks almost like a photograph! You are very talented. Always love seeing your photos whether they are from your archives or recent. I think you are right about the birds (and other wildlife as well) predicting the weather. Hope the sun is out drying up all the flooding and you are enjoying your Saturday so far!
ReplyDeleteGood to able to dig deep into your archives when you need to. And if that fails just whip up a sketch or two! If only I could........
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI am glad your area was spared some from the storm. Your birds and photos are wonderful. The Shrike is a favorite. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your weekend!
Your sketch is very nice and it's such a neat bird to see. Love that woodpecker that is one I don't see here. And I hope the damage is minimal and folks are able to get it cleaned up. That's a lot of rain all at once. We are bracing for the next hurricane and hoping for the best. Keep us in your prayers! Sweet hugs, Diane
ReplyDeletesorry to learn you had another Hurricane, Hanna. I don´t look at the news very much now a days.
ReplyDeleteThe tree swallow and the young woodpecker is my favorites. Not counting your sketch of the Hooded Merganser. That one is wonderful art. Thanks for sharing. :)
Your Hooded Merganser drawing is awesome! And I like the photo of the Masked Bandit. That is what I call the Loggerhead Shrikes. I like trying to guess what each of your birds are before I scroll down and look. I never would have guessed the woodpecker! and I did not know there is a YELLOW Crowned Night Heron.
ReplyDeleteMy entry this week is a feeble effort ... I’d feel a lot less guilty about linking if onlyI had archives that were half as good as yours. Of course I’d have to be half as good a photographer and spot half as many lovely birds. And I’m afraid neither of those things is happening. Thanks for hosting (and letting e join up) and y’all be careful out there!
ReplyDeleteGlad you were spared the worst of the storm. Even though our Tropical Storm Isaias skirted by our coast we only had minimal rain and a few early bands with intense wind and driving rain which passed quickly. Nice birds and artwork! The immature swallow has a buffy nape and smudged breast which may be consistent with Northern Rough-winged Swallow. Those babies can be tough to ID!
ReplyDeleteYour sketches always amaze me just about anyone can pick up a camera Amite and point and shoot but it takes true Talent to draw like you do. I love it! I do know it takes a gift to get good Bird pictures to but to me the sketch is the best. I have never seen a golden woodpecker or a yellow crowned night heron so I really really like those. Sorry for all the flooding and having to stay in the house
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear of your continued storms Anni. I know I moan when we have a few days rain but it is never as severe as you folk in the path of hurricanes. Still, your archived pictures are a super fill in until you get out again. I especially liked the Golden-fronted Woodpecker and the heron close-up. And of course, that super sketch.
ReplyDeleteHere's wishing you a drier week.
Lovely bird photos and what a wonderful pencil sketch.
ReplyDeleteHurricane Isaias turned into a tropical storm as it slides up our east coast here in FL. We didn't get the rain or wind predicted and I am thankful for that. We are still having some wind and a little bit of rain as it moves north of here. Those along the east coast are in for some rain as it moves into their areas.
May this week be clear and bright for you to be able to go birding. ~ FlowerLady
I love them, specially the young Night heron...but oh, your sketch is just wonderful.
ReplyDeleteLovely set of photos and ove your sketch. Hope everything soon gets cleared up. Nature is wonderful but it can be so cruel. Take care Diane
ReplyDeleteSounds like a rough storm. We are getting early rain from Hurricane Isaias and we hope that most of it goes out to sea, or at least stays east of the mountains.
ReplyDeleteLove the Yellow crown night heron and your sketch especially.
I agree with you that birds or animals are good predictors for weather changes....
ReplyDeleteyour sketch at the last image is wonderful....I thought a photo.