Calallen Texas...


It's been another quiet week around here. Still Spring Break, and the weather has been far from good. Too foggy one day, misty another, and chilly. We even stopped yard work because of the dampness. I'm really ready for sunshine and more Spring-like days. Then, again, I don't look forward to what follows in the coming months either. I do, tho, look forward to the students going back to class and for me, being able to get out in search of the migrant birds. In the meantime, these photos are of a day at the park...


NORTHERN CARDINAL [male and female]
Habitat map: Cardinal



GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
Habitat map: Woodpecker


GREEN JAY
overhead in tree
Habitat map: Jay


BLUE WINGED TEAL
Habitat map: Teal


GREATER YELLOWLEGS
Habitat map: Yellowlegs


WHITE WINGED DOVE
Habitat map: Dove



SNOWY EGRET
Habitat map: Egret


LONG BILLED DOWITCHER
Habitat map: Dowitcher

Note:  Each week, I add the species Habitat map link below the birds' names since a comment was left for me last week about "I wonder if they're here in our area".  MOST times the maps are accurate.  But, you must always remember that some birds fly off in a whole new direction - differently than a normal passage, and you may see a 'rogue' that doesn't necessarily "belong" in your section of the country....or considered a 'rare' bird.   Some times it's interesting to see the migrant passage compared to the breeding part or wintering grounds...for instance, note on this particular bird, the Dowitcher [above] is seen in Texas during "non-breeding"...but they fly back to their nesting grounds far north into the tundra areas of Northern Canada and Alaska 1000s of miles away from Texas!  And change color...more vibrant during the breeding season.  Also, once you get to the habitat map, there is a link there to take you to the "about" description of the bird...colors, feeding, breeding and non-breeding plumage, size, similarities of some [such as Long Billed Dowitcher and Short Billed Dowitcher - one is fresh water, while the other is seen mostly near saltwater], etc.


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:


Always use HYPERLINK when using linking tool.


Linking Tool is no longer available. Come back and share your new link on Saturday at NOON [CDST]

19 comments:

  1. I just commented on another FL blog that I wondered if we might see the Parakeet here. We have a lot of birds that migrate and some that fly in for the day I think! It's an interesting place to live, so close to the Gulf coast and the Atlantic coast too. I'll go look at those habitat maps for the woodpecker and the green jay! Thanks for doing this and sharing your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up looking at all of the maps...I love maps! We should see the Snowy Egret but we never have that we know of! Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Hello Anni,

    You have a beautiful collection of birds this week. The Green Jay will always be favorite, maybe I will get lucky some day and be able to see it in person. Your Golden-fronted Woodpecker is a beauty too. The both the Long-billed and the Short-billed Dowitchers are see along the Maryland coast during the Spring migration. Great photo! Thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Anni! I can relate about the weather, it's actually been chilly here this weekend. I really dread it getting hot again! I hope those spring breakers head back to school soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heat normally keeps me in during the middle of the days Today was much cooler but rain was predicted (60%) but luckily it did not rain at all and we had a community Owl Prowl sponsored by the Homeowners Association of a nearby town. It was a well-attended family event and an (unexpectedly) delightful time was had by all as we counted the Burrowing Owls in a utility easement which runs through the community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely selection of birds.
    The Golden Fronted Woodpecker has such amazing colour and markings.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my favorite is the Woodpecker. Closely followed by the Dowitcher. We do not have near this cool variety, you are so lucky to be in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice collection, love the golden-fronted woodpecker, what a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post! The egret is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the close up of the Woodpecker Anni. Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds to me Anni as though you are having similar weather to our own, never two days alike. Nevertheless you managed to get out and do a spot of birding. That's good advice you give about birds, their wandering/migrations and their changing plumages. For anyone that is interested in taking up birding, it's essential they invest in a quality field guide.

    Thanks for the link today. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A series of lovely images, Anni, but it is the Golden-fronted Woodpecker that captures my heart today. What a little beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always been in love with the Cardinal ... and my love for them continues!
    The Golden Fronted Woodpecker is also a beauty!
    I'm sorry I didn't leave a comment yesterday ... it was very late and I was very tired!
    Have a nice Sunday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. i thought of you every day for the past 3 days, a flock of 24 plus Ibis in our front yard enjoying the insect buffet. they make flutterey sounds and peck in unison, quite fun to watch them from the front window....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anni, beautiful serie photos. The woodpecker is my favorite. It's excellent. Greetings Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Anni,:=) I'm so so sorry I'm late in commenting, ...just have to do short sessions of blogging at the moment. Hope your neck is better. Great selection of birds, especially the Golden-Fronted Woodpecker, and the Green Jay, they are really beautiful. Thanks for Hosting Anni.:=)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sure have some beautiful shots here...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The golden fronted woodpecker has stunning color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni, I never even heard of a Golden Fronted Woodpecker!! Your photos are simply amazing..all the time...jp

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents