It's that time of year ...Bud and I are in the midst of trimming bush overgrowth for Spring. We are near completely done, and I can then spend more time with 'my birds'. The weather has been extremely windy, the brush fires are everywhere because of our severe drought. There isn't much to see thru the smoky sky at times. Then, other times when the wind shifts it all goes out to sea. But, the birds remain somewhat active. I am now seeing a few sightings of some early warblers on the islands, and the 'last of the cranes' were at a ranch field as I drove by. I know they'll soon be heading north, if not already by the time this post is published. I spent a good hour at one area's pond listening to two Least Bitterns calling to each other, in hopes of at 'least' one showing itself for a photo op. One DID fly out of the reeds, but went right back into the overgrowth without giving me time to even get the viewfinder up to my focus. A missed opportunity of those elusive birds. Maybe they'll stick around. The Aplomado Falcons along the island highway, I noticed, are becoming active. Nesting time soon? Anyway, as I drove around the outskirts of the city, where cattle graze, I did find and photograph a few birds...



WHITE IBIS [breeding plumage]
Habitat map: Ibis


BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
Habitat map: Duck






SANDHILL CRANE
Habitat map: Crane

linking tool is now closed
love those sand cranes and we have that many Ibis in our front yard every morning. I like to hear their funny noises as they stick those long beaks down in the grass eating whatever they eat. Our vultures are gone, our doves are gone, our squirrels are gone, no cardinals and no jays... it is bleak out there. i did see a tiny bird, not sure what it was, but only 1. bob said he saw ONE dove yesterday. i miss their cooing sounds. they should all be here building nest, we haven't even see a snake. I did see one black snake a few blocks away. dozens of lizards and that is it. no Butterflies, but 2 red admirals.
ReplyDeleteI have had that exact experience with two Least Bitterns calling to each other, one no more than a couple of metres from me, but getting to see them is another matter entirely!
ReplyDeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos, I love seeing all the White Ibis. This week my favorites are the Whistling Ducks and the Sandhill Cranes. Great sightings. I am looking forward to seeing some Spring Warblers moving through. Thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!
Shame you missed the Least Bitterns Anni. If it's any consolation, all of the bittern family of the UK and Europe seem to be similarly shy. Take care with all that smoke. And thanks for the link today.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos! Do the Whistling ducks actually whistle, have you heard them?
ReplyDeleteDear Annie,
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness, everywhere the bushfires due to drought - or floods... I'm very worried about these developments...
The Least Bitterns are extremely difficult to photograph, and I've had this experience with their European relatives. As soon as they are out of the reeds, they are back in the reeds again ;-) But you took really, really great photos of the sandhill cranes! We didn't even get nearly as close to them when we tried to photograph cranes, we only photographed a few dark spots.... Your close-ups of the white ibises are also sensationally good. The Black-bellied Whistling-Duck is a particularly beautiful member of the Duck family, I don't think you can find them in Europe...(?)
All the best and happy weekend, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/03/italien-reisebericht-perugia-und-assisi.html
not sure why but I always loved seeing WHISTLING DUCKs on my travels. And the ibis. Our crane is quite similat to yours, just the red patch is differently positioned. :)
ReplyDeleteSad to learn you have lots of bushfires going on. That seem to be a bad concequence of climate change. Take care!
It is interesting to see all these bird pictures. They are lovely. Ibis and cranes are always lovely birds to watch. Waddling ducks are my favourites too.
ReplyDeleteMy husband has been working in our landscaping too this month. And it looks so nice! We have a lot of birds in their breeding colors now like the Ibis! You've shared some beautiful photos of the Ibis and I love the Cranes too! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing these. Especially the Sandhill Cranes. I keep wishing they would find a place close to me to visit on a regular basis. I did not even hear any this past fall and not any this spring either.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni, :=) You have taken some beautiful pictures. The White Ibis in it's breeding plumage looks particularly handsome with their red beaks and brightly coloured legs. The whistlers are cute ducks, and the images of the Sandhill Cranes are brilliant. Sorry the Least Bitterns got away, although they are large marsh birds, they are so difficult to see in the reeds. Bush fires seem to be a global problem, I wear my mask when I'm outside, as we have them too.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos of the ibis and cranes Anni. We don't see them here.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos Anni! I only saw one sighting of a pair of Sandhill Cranes on a road trip years ago. It surely was a very special gift as I haven't seen them since. So many beautiful birds in the world and thank you for sharing yours.
ReplyDelete