Irish Birds...


Hello again. As some know already from visiting my personal blog...Hootin' Anni's, I recently returned from a 15 day trip to Ireland. Three of us girls had an island adventure, touring both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Needless to say, it wasn't much of a birding trip. Altho I hoped to see some European birds along the way. This collection is of a few I got a chance to photograph in the two weeks...

We took a boat excursion off the shore of the ruins of Ross Castle in Killarney, amongst the National Forest. Rooks and crows and gulls were everywhere.




MUTE SWAN

The magpie was in the city of Dublin, the jackdaw was seen at Blarney Castle, and the wagtail was in Kilkenny [I also saw a -blackbird with an orange beak, but it flew off before I could drop my sandwich and grab my camera!]  Along the Cliffs of Moher, I saw many many kittywakes, nesting on the cliffs...the day we were there the wind was blowing a gale and I had no tripod, so photos I did take were of a long distance!!  I have yet to resize those off the camera card.

EURASIAN MAGPIE



JACKDAW [thanks for ID, Phil!]



WHITE WAGTAIL



ROOK


For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:



Linking Tool is now closed!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Anni. You didn't say you were coming over to the Emerald Isle. I hope you enjoyed your trip a huge change from Texas. Your hooded crow is actually a Jackdaw - Corvus monedula , same family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Anni

    It is wonderful seeing the birds from your Ireland trip. I love the Rook and the Jackdaw. The White Wagtail is a pretty bird. Great photos. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a fabulous trip! And I know you got to see so many amazing sights. Love your bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that magnificent magpie. the swans I would like to see, I have only seen them twice and they were in selby gardens not wild. glad you found a few birds, but you did find IRELAND. woo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful wonderful!! Look at the beak on that Rook! And the Magpie is gorgeous! Do you know what ever happened to the I.R.A. and the war in Treland?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure I have seen the Rook. Seems like Ireland lacks birds as much as my place does. No use to go birding in my area anymore. It is emty. The only bird that seems to be in "normal" numbers is the wagtail. Even Mallards and coots are gone. The mute swans are still around but fewer. Wooper swans used to be many, now I have not seen any for a long period of time. But today I have a few older ones to share.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apart from the birding, Anni, I hope that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation - and it got you away from that awful Texas heat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The swan looks dramatic against the dark background. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anni, I enjoyed seeing your photos of the Rook, Magpie, and Jackdaw, birds I have never seen before. I remember reading about how intelligent these birds are. Lovely Mute Swan images also. I'll bet you girls had a fun time, and hope to hear more about your exploits.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful swans and nifty Magpie. My sister and hubby just returned from a month-long visit to Ireland and Scotland, attending a family reunions and visiting relatives from both sides of our family and researching family roots. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anni, Love your "irish" photos, well done. We loved our trip to Ireland but it was some time ago now.
    I am struggling to keep any blogs going at present, so have decided meanwhile to add my bird photos to my diary blog, I hope this will be OK with you.
    Keep safe, Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents