Along Ocean Drive...


With the construction going on at our home this week, I've once again been more or less in another lock-down. But, I managed to get out early Friday morning. But only for an hour before I had to get back and get the car safe under the garage roof. LOL...I like it secure and parked inside, and NOT on the street. Anyway, I left just after sunrise, and drove along Ocean Drive near the NAS [naval air station] and the bay. I figured there is BOUND to be water there, where most of the natural ponds/lakes and riverbeds are dry or drying from our drought. [rain is in the forecast tho this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed] I parked the car to get out and walk...I saw quite a few different species in such a little time out...




GREAT BLUE HERON
Habitat map: Heron


GREAT EGRET
Habitat map: Egret


KILLDEER
Habitat map: Killdeer


GREATER YELLOWLEGS
Habitat map: Yellowlegs


BLACK SKIMMER
Habitat map: Skimmer



ROSEATE SPOONBILL
Habitat map: Spoonbill


MARBLED GODWIT
Habitat map: Godwit


GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER [juvenile]
Habitat map: Woodpecker


TRI-COLORED HERON
Habitat map: Heron


BLACK BELLIED PLOVER
Habitat map: Plover


WILSON'S PLOVER
Habitat map: Plover

For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in gray text area below and paste into your blog post:

Linking tool now closed

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful birds! Great photos!
    Hope you get rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anni,
    What a great variety of birds, great sightings for a short outing. Love the heron with the fish. The Marbled Godwit is pretty. I always love seeing the Black Skimmers. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anni,
    I am very impressed that you were able to observe and photograph so many birds in such a short time! You took great photos. I think I've never seen The KILLDEER...
    I keep my fingers crossed that you get rain!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy weekend and all the best
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/08/blogparade-tropisch-exotisch-u30blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very worthwhile outing, Anni. You really do need rain down there. So many birds and other creatures that depend on wetlands are not going to be able to survive. The heat is bad enough, but combine that with lack of water and it will be lethal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything goes well with your construction! I know you'll love having it done. And you've featured my favorite, Roseate Spoonbill! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Killdeer Reflection Photo is my choice of favorite today. UGH on the construction and hope that rain comes in. we were beginning to think we would never see rain again, and now we are almost back to our old normal or at least I think I can remember what normal was. Been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful, Anni....especially the pink/coral on that Spoonbill. Magnificent! I pray you do get your rain and that it is plentiful. We're due for a whopper of a storm starting about 5pm here. We'll see if it materializes. It's all over the news.... the storm that Chicago is supposed to get. And what Chicago gets, we usually get.... so we'll see. I can't wait to hear all about the construction going on at your house. No sneak peeks for us? *lol* ~Andrea xoxo PS~ We like our vehicles in the garage too. On the street they're too prone to accidents of various sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great shots feeding! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first photo of the Blue Heron is xtremely unusual. And you caught him with a catch; he is one happy boy! What a beautiful variety!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it's raining now for you Anni. On the other hand we don't like to hear that rain and bad weather stopped your construction work. Great pictures again today, especially the Wilson's Plover. Killdeer and Grey Plover. I like plovers a lot. Thanks for he link again. Good luck with Bob The Builder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you are busy with your house and hope this coming week goes well. But I just had to jump back over here and tell you what we saw this morning. We drove over to Halpata Tastanaki, about 10 miles from our house and a place we go about once a week. AND...we saw 2 Roseate Spoonbills fly over. We saw another one later too. I got pics of them in the air, never saw them perch. I was so excited that I just had to tell you. First time in a few years since we've seen them in the wild! Pics coming to a blog near you soon...probably next Sat! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos Anni, So many birds you have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun to see all of these...

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents