Around the Coastal Bend






BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
photo taken:  Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi Texas





MALE [right] & FEMALE [left] NORTHERN CARDINAL
photo taken:  Blucher Park - Corpus Christi Texas





BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
photo taken:  Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi Texas





CORMORANT
photo taken:  Hazel Bazemore Park - Calallen Texas





MALE NORTHERN CARDINAL
photo taken:  Blucher Park - Corpus Christi Texas






BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
photo taken:  Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi Texas
Habitat Range: Mexico/Lower Southern States
The Black-bellied Whistling-Duck is a common bird on the Mexico coast. To the south, its range extends throughout Central America, and across much of South America. In the United States, it can be found year-round in parts of southeast Texas, and seasonally in southeast Arizona, and Louisiana's Gulf Coast. It is a rare breeder in such disparate locations as Florida, Arkansas, and South Carolina. Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks prefer shallow freshwater ponds, lakes, and marshes. Tree-lined bodies of water are of particular value. The species was formerly known as the Black-bellied Tree Duck; as this name suggests, they are quite fond of perching. Additionally, tree cavities provide nesting sites. Rarely seen active in daylight as they are nocturnal feeders. It's been noted that they mate with one mate for years.  I personally think this is a very colorful bird in the duck family...from its pink feet and legs to the black belly, rufous back and shoulders with yellow blending in with the taupe neck and head ---the bill [or beak], from orange and red to the blue tip.  Both male and female are similar in markings. I was thrilled to find and photograph this night-feeder; active in daylight.





49 comments:

  1. Great pictures you show of some beautiful birds.
    We do not have these birds in Denmark.
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I shared some birds you've not seen in Denmark.

      Delete
  2. Hi Anni, Lots of lovely birdshots you share.
    I have seen the black bellied duck, but only from afar. :(

    Annie, it would be great if you would ad the label for the meme and the name above the linky-list. It makes it easier to find the right post.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're wonderful....especially their colors. :o)

      Delete
  3. Great shots! The BBWD's are very nice and that's a nice photo of the cormorant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The feet of the whistling duck are adorable. It's a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. ...thanks, I always appreciate such positive feedback.

      Delete
  6. Fine captures of those cute ducks! It's nice to get the pair of Cardinals in one shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....this particular park in town usually has a few Cardinals year 'round.

      Delete
  7. i am glad to enjoy the black-bellies here in NE Texas every summer at our place. i love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only seen these as posted by TexWisGirl. We don't have anything similar up here. Very nice shots. Love the Cormorant, too.
    Rubbish by Roan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, I enjoyed your sunflower excursion that turned to bird hunting post today also.

      Delete
  9. Colorful is an understatement ... The subtle colors of the body and then the wild pink feet. They are awesome and your pictures (all of them) are beautiful. Thank you ...

    Andrea @ FRom The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU Andrea for such an encouraging comment. I most appreciate the positive words posted.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a nice serie of photos. So lovely to see all these different birds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those shots, Anni! The cardinals are very common here, as is the cormorant...but we don't have those whistlers - except at the Bird Park.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Die sind ja sowas von schön liebe Anni, da könnte ich doch auch, ich schau mal ob ich noch einen Vogel finde.

    LG Mathilda ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad to read that you thought they're beautiful!!!! Thanks 'Tilda.

      Delete
  14. Stunning presentation of these whistling ducks, cardinals and the cormorant! I think my favourite is the last photo with the duck in such a cute pose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gemma. I think that photo is one of my favorites too.

      Delete
  15. those whistlers have such lovely clean feet :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...at the time of the photo shoot, I think it just came from the lake.

      Delete
  16. Those are wonderful and I love how you have framed them. Have a great week Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Whistling duck is a handsome fella (or a good looking gal?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's hard to say since both sexes are so similar in markings. Thanks for linking this week.

      Delete
  18. ...just a zoom tho, I really wasn't that close. You're welcome, and glad you always come over and link up with some fantastic image shares.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice shots ... cute birds :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photographs, fantastic birds. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! these are gorgeous shots and I love those whistling ducks. They have such cute personalities. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and I am THRILLED that you have a Sunday bird meme. I can't wait to participate in that. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely look forward to your photos!!!

      Delete
  22. Hi Anni!
    I was so amazed about the duck with pink feet! Never seen it before and I think it´s sweet! The Cormorant we have here in Sweden too!
    Very good photos from you!
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pia, I really enjoyed your bird photos this week also.

      Delete
  23. I love your birds, Anni! The Whistling Ducks are always one of my favorites. I wish I could see them here. It seems my birdie post is a little off, i will try to join in next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...don't worry 'bout it Eileen...just if you remember and/or have a bird photo share. Any time.

      Delete
  24. Neil, I so enjoyed your "Australian" shares!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh these birds are just gorgeous! What great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful shots Anni! I especially like the Black-bellied Whistling Ducks with those exotic pink legs and feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Larry. Glad you enjoyed viewing my photos.

      Delete

Table of Contents