AMERICAN COOT
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center, Port Aransas Texas, Lakeview Park and Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge, Corpus Christi Texas
If you notice, the middle photo frame shows the American Coot's feet. Like ducks they're graceful when swimming. In fact you can spot them amongst ducks in fresh water ponds and muddy marshes. They're just about anywhere water is throughout the USA, Canada and into Mexico. But the difference is their feet. Unlike the webbed-footed duck, the Coot's feet are lobed!! Each one of the coot’s long toes has broad lobes of skin that help it kick through the water. The broad lobes fold back each time the bird lifts its foot, so it doesn’t impede walking on dry land, though it supports the bird’s weight on mucky ground. The lobes help the Coot balance its weight so it won't likely sink in the sludge of some swampy pond walking easily atop the broken down reed and grasses. To me, they're a bit clumsy taking off in flight; it takes some time and quite a bit of effort to get their weight above the surface of the water before becoming airborne. Mostly vegetarian, I've also witnessed them eating insects - mainly those that are water floating insects. Their young are mostly yellow down, they're bald, and the head color extends to reddish beaks. While traveling around and into southern Louisiana I learned that the name "Coot" means to the Cajun people, pouldeau, from the French word for Coot which is poule d'eau, [pronounced in French/Cajun = "POOl - due" with the letter "L" quite indiscernible]. Defining poule d'eau in English, it'd translate to "water hen." A popular dish in Cajun country is Poule D'eau Gumbo.
I posted this on Saturday afternoon [Texas USA] time since we will have company....hope that doesn't confuse anyone. In fact, I may begin posting the weekly Bird D'Pot on Saturday's from now on, since a lot of birders that share photos here are on the other side of the Big Pond and my Saturday is their Sunday. :o)
Habitat Range in North America:






Anni, love your Coots photos. Their feet always make laugh, they look weird.
ReplyDelete...thanks for visiting Eileen. Yes, they are quite odd, aren't they? But still pretty in their own way.
DeleteThey do have weird feet! Will be hooking up on Wednesday, as usual!
ReplyDelete...see you Wednesday then!
DeleteNice photos, Anni! Interesting information too. I like the detail shot of the feet.
ReplyDelete...I was compelled to add that photo this week along with the others. LOL
DeleteWow, I had seen a coot's feet from that close, nor did I know that they have lobed feet! Thanks for this informative post, Anni! We have the Common Coot (Fulica atra) in India, which doesn't look very different from the American species to me.
ReplyDelete...we both learned this week...I with your Hyrax posting.
DeleteCoots are hilarious when they step onto land and show their feet. I always enjoy seeing them and how much respect they command even from bigger birds - although I always feel a bit sorry for their chicks, when there's not enough food, coots will neglect and outright mob and attack the weaker chicks until they are dead.
ReplyDelete...I've not seen that happen to the chicks and hope never to see something like that.
Deleteit looks rather different from ours. Great shots.
ReplyDelete...thanks for stopping by.
DeleteCoots are always lovely birds to watch...superb images.
ReplyDelete...thanks Andrew
DeleteGreat shots of the Coots. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDeleteI have such difficulty capturing ducks in their full beauty...I was fortunate with today's photo. I love your shots!! Especially the feet!
ReplyDeleteindeed!!! Your share for the week is stupendous.
Deletesuch neat birds. their feet are like pontoons. :)
ReplyDelete...yes they are now that you mention it.
DeleteGreat pictures you show.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a good Sunday :)
Hanne Bente
...thanks Hanne....I especially liked your collared doves post also.
DeleteThanks, Anni, for your beautiful images and the informative narrative!
ReplyDelete...thank YOU for linking up this week and such kind, positive feedback.
DeleteGreat shots of the American Coot Anni! Love the portrait and the close up of the feet! I have a shot of the American Coot chick if you're interested.
ReplyDeleteLarry...yes, if you ever post the image of the Coot chick, please let me know.
Deletegreat shots Anni
ReplyDelete...thank you kindly.
DeleteFantastic collection of photographs. I am greeting
ReplyDelete...thanks for visiting this week...I look forward to your next post soon.
Delete...thank you. I am always very pleased to read such positive comments such as yours. They ARE a very common water bird, aren't they? :o)
ReplyDeleteLove these birds. We have them here in Tucson around our watering holes. I love how you give them an edge in these pics. Just found your blog and look forward to the bird posts.....I'm addicted to this hobby now:) Chris from Las Aventuras
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you stopped by Chris.....I lived in Tucson for over a decade so it's great to meet another 'zonie'!!!!
DeleteA great series of photos.
ReplyDeletethanks Mick.
DeleteAn interesting tale of the Coot Anni. Glad you focused a little on their feet - amazing colour and construction. Can't say I fancy a Coot Gumbo!
ReplyDelete...in regards to the gumbo....I wouldn't eat it.
Deletebeautiful photos
ReplyDeleteinformative post
...thanks!!! I was intrigued by your recent post on witchcraft too.
Delete