REDHEAD DUCK [male]
photo taken: Oso Bay [Hans Suter Refuge] - Corpus Christi Texas
Habitat Range in the Americas:
Redhead Ducks can be spotted throughout Northern America, tho somewhat difficult to find during the day as they are primarily nocturnal feeders that forage by diving. Considered one of the least common North American ducks, their population seems to be increasing. They nest in marshes and prairie potholes, and are often found in estuaries, coastal areas, lakes, and bays in the non-breeding season. The male has a gray body, with a brick-red head, yellow eyes, and a black breast, and the female is brown. Both sexes have a gray wing stripe and a pale blue bill with a black tip. Often, they migrate as far south as Old Mexico but can be seen along the Gulf Coast of Mexico along USA, during winter, sporadically.
LAUGHING SEAGULL [mating season -notice bright red beak]
photo taken: Packery Channel Jetty- Corpus Christi Texas
BLACK-NECKED STILT
photo taken: Hazel Bazemore Park - Calallen Texas
GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken: Aransas Pass Ship Channel - Port Aransas Texas
BROWN PELICAN
photo taken: Aransas Pass Ship Channel - Port Aransas Texas






The pelican portrait is gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteHow weird - the bird that's called Lachmoewe, Laughing Gull, in German, the Black-Headed Gull looks almost the same as your Laughing Gulls.
...glad you liked the pelican Jedadiah. And as far as gulls go, they're quite similar, yet different somehow. Aren't they?
Deletelove the redhead! well, love all of them, actually. :)
ReplyDelete...glad you stopped by. And, hope your weekend is going well. I must say I fell in love with your dog Louise just now.
DeleteLovely shots, Anni!
ReplyDelete...thanks Pat.
DeleteOne of my favs..great blue heron..visits our pond..these are wonderful photos you took..Michelle
ReplyDelete...thanks Michelle. I too love the herons...all of them. You have a pond?!!! Color me green with envy.
DeleteI've never seen a red headed duck before. Cool! I finally got a blue heron, but at a distance. It can't hold a candle to this one.
ReplyDeleteRubbish by Roan
...this particular heron let me get pretty darned close to him, obviously...but it's also the help of a zoom lens.
Deletepelican is a very cool bird. :) Nice shot.
ReplyDeleteI like what you made of your header. A "hibiscus birdie". :)
...I like Pelicans too.
DeleteAnother great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDelete...thanks Gary.
DeleteAmazing photos, just discovered your blog via Boomer & Gary. I'll be adding you to my favourites so I can visit often. I'll be joining in with your Mr Linky as well.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you stopped by to introduce yourself, and happy to know you will join us when you can.
DeleteHi Anni, I am a little late but have added my link. Thanks for the invitation. I really enjoyed all your beautiful birds here.
ReplyDelete...I'm happy to know you decided to add your link of all your wonderful bird photos!!! Thanks Denise.
DeleteI have seen one pair of Red Head Ducks in Wisconsin a few years ago ... your picture captures their beauty perfectly especially with the blue bill ... is the blue bill for mating season as well? Your other bird pictures are exceptional as usual but I have to admit, I was taken by the Red Head. Love this blog ... thanks for helping fill the gap left by WBW.
ReplyDeleteAndrea @ From the Sol
...Andrea, about the bill being blue...I'm not sure, but I think it's the same coloration year 'round. But, don't quote me on that. LOL
DeleteGlad you stopped by.
...thanks. I enjoyed your ocean excursion this week also!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the Laughing Gull Anni, and if I remember correctly from when i saw them on the beach in Cancun, Mexico they do really laugh, unless of course it was the sight of me in my shorts caused a stir.
ReplyDelete...now, that's funny. But no, they laugh at all of us, no matter what we wear. LOL
Deletewonderful snaps!
ReplyDelete...thank you so very much, your positive feedback continues to encourage me to do more.
DeleteA great collection of birds Anni! I don't see Redheads very often so when I do, I consider it a treat. Love the shot of the Black-necked Stilt in flight and the Brown Pelican makes an imposing figure!
ReplyDelete...thanks Larry, getting a bird in its flight always makes me happy, as they're difficult to capture!!!
DeleteI do not like heron because they eat our fish at the pond :-)
ReplyDeleteFish in the pond, I can understand the survival instincts of the bird, and also understand your dislike because of the fact.
Delete