The Unique & Unusual...


The Black Skimmer is distinctive for its unusual voice, a 'dog like bark', brightly colored reddish orange bill, and "skimming" behavior. When feeding, this coastal waterbird flies low [as shown with the 2nd photo from the top], with its long lower mandible slicing the water's surface in search of fish. Enabled to make hairpin turns; thanks to the long wings for their body size, I've seen an entire flock gracefully making a sharp "U Turn" in perfect unison. I read that the Black Skimmers weigh about 11 ounces (300 grams), and measure 16-18 inches in length, with a wingspan of about 44 inches!! Skimmers are the only birds whose lower mandible is longer than the upper. Also noted - the skimmers' eyes have narrow vertical pupils, highly unusual in birds, thought to help reduce the glare from water while skimming for their food. Nesting in our area is somewhat precarious, because of the choice where they decide to lay their eggs. Oftentimes, the nest [a crevice dug in the sand] is too close to shore, and it can be covered in high tide, or washed out by stormy surf. The population here in our area is dwindling; this particular day I saw about three dozen resting along the shore of the bay.  Still the numbers around their habitual feeding areas in and around other coastal states hold steady. I've seen the Skimmers here, year 'round in Corpus Christi.  They're also known to migrate farther south into Central America, and year 'round in South America.












BLACK SKIMMER[s]
photos taken:  Oso Bay [Hans Suter Refuge] - and Texas A&M Birding Trail -- Corpus Christi Texas












48 comments:

  1. such unique birds! i really like them, though. lucky you to have them year round. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it really depends, I see them often, then sometimes not at all. I don't know where they go to 'hide', but they return again and again.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating birds!
    Thanks for the reminder to link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...at first glancing when I saw them for the very first time, I thought they were quite homely looking, but the more I see them, the more I like them. And, you're welcome Pat.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anni, thanks for the invite and I linked up my post. I do love your Black Skimmers, they are cool looking birds. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for linking up Eileen...your photos are always so awesome.

      Delete
  4. Oh what a neat looking bird!!! I've only seen them a couple of times in "person".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope you stop by again sometime Kerri...and if you have any bird photos to share, be sure and leave a link on the meme list.

      Delete
  5. Nice photos. And thanks for the invitation to join the meme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Al...Glad you stopped by to share your images and link.

      Delete
  6. Such romantic presentations of the skimmer! I love the bold markings on these birds! And the beak seems to be so long in proportion to the body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gemma. I know one thing, I really REALLY enjoyed your birds this week.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing all the different and interesting birds that you photograph. The Black Skimmer is quite pretty and I am sure a joy to watch skimming the water. Their eyes are very intriguing.
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're definitely interesting...a bit odd, but all in all still a beautiful creature.

      Delete
  8. Love the beaks on these birds. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos! I love the skimmer bills!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a bird on my wish list. :) It would be so nice to see it. How it moves and behaves. Not only see images. Love your shots, just wish I had seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I will leave you with an open invitation to come visit!! I know just the perfect spot to sit and view these.

      Delete
  11. Lovely shots of the skimmers Anni and like your last comment, a bird I would really, really like to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Phil...yep, as with all of us bird enthusiasts, there are way too many birds to add to our list of 'gotta see one'.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. hope from your comment someone stops by to visit with you so they too can see your incredible swan in flight image.

      Delete
  13. Nice pictures you show.
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  14. My what a big beak you have! Love the colors. It's sad their numbers are dwindling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if I understand correctly the population is dwindling HERE 'cause of disappearing habitat area and human population scarin' them away. But, they are surviving well in other less populated bays and gulf waters.

      Delete
  15. What a stunning looking bird... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Andrew, glad to read you enjoyed the skimmers.

      Delete
  16. Great post on the skimmers!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a remarkable looking bird. Lucky you to be able to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for dropping by this weekend Adam, and thanks for linking up so I could stop by and view your Mr. Redstart!!!

      Delete
  18. What a beautiful and interesting bird. I have never seen a Skimmer, but from your description, I am sure they would be a fascinating site. Your pictures, of course, are wonderful. No wonder You'd Rather Be Birdin :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to 'master' a good photo of them in flight....some day. I'll keep trying. :0)

      Delete
  19. Beautiful shots Anni! Late visit from Camera Critters. Your visit at
    Pets & Critters Nook will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such lovely birds! I am yet to see a skimmer. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hope one day you can spot one. Thanks for the visit and taking time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  21. Such photographs cause that the day is more beautiful. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super post and images of a very interesting species which brought back fond memories of watching them skimming during a visit to High Island some years ago .... amazing sight.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great serie of photos!
    I wish you a great bird watch!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing post and a veru nice blog
    greetings from my blog joanca

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents