One day recently we walked a couple of miles along the seashore and enjoyed the quiet times with the sound of the surf and the call of the gulls...all along watching and enjoying the silence of the brown pelicans. Just taking an easy stroll, feeling the mist of the sea spraying in our faces...





BROWN PELICANS
LAUGHING GULLS
AMERICAN TERN
[and a fisherman in the top photo]
photos taken: Packery Channel, Luby Beach Access - Mustang Island, Texas
As we strolled along the wet sandy beach at Luby [Packery Channel] Beach Access...each time, no matter what time of year, there are literally dozens of sand pipers and the cutest to watch 'cause of their habit of searching everywhere for something quick to eat ---the SANDERLING. One of the most widespread of all shorebirds, the sanderling is a small, highly active wader, typically seen racing after waves on sandy beaches as it hunts for small food items along the waterline. It is quite a plump species, with a short, stout, black beak and black legs, and is unique amongst sandpipers in that it lacks a hind toe [as you can see in my photo], as an adaptation for running fast on sand. At all times of year the sanderling can be recognized by its pure white underparts and broad white wing bar, bordered with black, which is visible in flight. They are one of the most difficult shorebirds to photograph 'cause the don't allow you to come to near them without rushing off in the other direction. Continually flitting here and there at a rate that this ol' gal can't keep up with them and allowing myself to focus the lens properly.----I was determined to capture one close up:

SANDERLING
photo taken: Packery Channel, Luby Beach Access - Mustang Island, Texas

connecting to:
Wild Bird Wednesday [link on sidebar]
I love all the Pelicans! Great birds and sightings, Anni!
ReplyDeleteme too Eileen.
DeleteThe walk along the shoreline looks perfect! Exactly what I enjoy too! Nice photo of the Sanderling as well - we see some down here but I have not found them easy to photograph.
ReplyDeleteI could walk on the beach daily...it's so tranquil.
Deletenice catch on the sanderling! i like the brown pelicans. such cool birds.
ReplyDelete...thanks TexWis.
DeleteGreat to see all the Pelicans ! Great shots :-) Thank you for visiting my waxwing :-) Greetings from Liva
ReplyDelete...thanks Liva
DeleteGreat to see Pelicans, and the Sanderling is a lovely shore bird. Nice close up.
ReplyDelete...those sanderlings are difficult to even catch at a distance. I was elated that this one stood still long enough for me. :o)
DeleteGreat shots of all the shorebirds! I like seeing the large numbers!
ReplyDelete...it never ceases to amaze me when they congregate like this....on this day, the fishing was very good. And they knew it.
DeleteUwielbiam morze, a na Twoich zdjęciach jest ono i do tego tyle pięknych ptaków. Dziękuję za to i pozdrawiam.
ReplyDeleteI love the sea, and it was your photos and to so many beautiful birds. Thank you for that and greet.
...thank you Giga
DeleteSo cool to see pelicans!! Great post :)
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed it.
DeleteLovely photos! I've never seen any pelicans, they look so cool! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment! /Pia
...thanks Pia
DeleteLove ..and miss...the pelicans. Nice pictures Anni!
ReplyDelete...glad to know you enjoyed the photos Sallie
DeleteGreat shot of the sanderling. I also liked seeing all the birds in flight. There certainly were a lot of them hanging out at the beach!
ReplyDelete...thanks for the positive feedback.
DeleteHow exciting! I've never seen a pelican in person and love your photos.
ReplyDeletethen, glad you stopped by Betty
DeleteNice shots of the pelicans and great shot of the sanderling too!
ReplyDelete...thanks Barb
DeleteExtremely exciting finds. I love love love Pelicans. Great sightings Anni! I just saw two American white pelicans in Tucson several days ago.....I nearly flipped!
ReplyDeleteWow....very unusual for Tucson. How exciting!!! [I miss Tucson]
DeleteI'm amazed at so many in one place. It would appear they are the tourists on the beach. :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful shots!
Your closeup of the Sanderling is impressive with the eye detail!
...now that you mention it, yes they do look like tourists.
DeleteHi there - nice birds - we spend a few frustrating days each year trying to band sanderling - often to little result!
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking to WBW.
Stewart M - Australia
...thanks Stewart.
DeleteBeautiful images and in the end, your stalking of this beauty was sweet...nice job~
ReplyDelete...they are some of the most difficult to photograph, the sanderlings just don't stay still long enough at one time.
DeleteLovely shots! Strolling on the beach sounds wonderful.
ReplyDelete...it is a true comfort.
DeleteBeautiful place to walk.
ReplyDelete...yes, indeed Neil.
DeleteNice images and good info on the sanderling. It's been far too long since I have been birding at the sea shore.
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed the beach this week Martha.
Delete...thanks Gary
ReplyDelete