Today, just photos taken from around town or nearby. An eclectic sort....
NORTHERN CARDINAL [male]
photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
NASHVILLE WARBLER
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture Nature Preserve - Port Arnasas, Texas
GREAT BLUE HERON
photo taken: JFK Causeway [below bridge] - Padre Island Corpus Christi, Texas
GOLDEN-FRONTED WOODPECKER
photo taken: Our Backyard [at the hummingbird feeder] - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
The Golden-fronted Woodpecker is composed of four subspecies that differ in size, amount of barring on the tail, and the color of the nape, nasal tufts, and belly. Whereas the nape of the form found in Texas and most of Mexico is yellow to orange, it is red on the Yucatan Peninsula and orange farther south. The four forms were formerly considered different species. The Golden-fronted Woodpecker consumes about as much fruit and nuts as it does insects. In summer in Texas, the faces of some woodpeckers become stained purple from eating fruit of the prickly pear cactus. Length: 8.7–10.2 in [22–26 cm] Wingspan: 16.9 in [43 cm] Weight: 2.3–3.6 oz [65–102 g]
STARLING [morphing into its brown winter plumage]
photo taken: Blucher Park - Downtown Corpus Christi, Texas
AMERICAN AVOCET [winter plumage]
photo taken: Indian Point Park - Portland, Texas







I love all these birds. What a nice mix.....especially would love to see that Nashville Warbler and Golden Fronted Woodpecker.....beautiful!!!!
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed the post this week!!
Deletethe woodpecker is a new one for me! wonderful!
ReplyDelete...really? Maybe they aren't in your area of Texas then?
DeleteBeautiful images of all your birds... My favourite has to be the Cardinal.
ReplyDelete...yes, my favorite too Andrew.
DeleteLovely shots!
ReplyDelete...thanks Pat
DeleteHI Anni, That Golden-fronted Woodpecker is AWESOME... I've never ever seen one... Wow!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSeems like we'd see the NASHVILLE Warbler here in Tennessee, doesn't it???? ha ha
Hugs,
Betsy
...glad you liked the post this week Betsy.
DeleteA lovely collection of birds again Anni. I have linked up, thanks for the reminder and the invitation.
ReplyDelete...thanks Denise
DeleteHi Anni, great collection of birds. I love the Warbler, the Heron is a great pose and I love the woodie. Thanks for hosting and I wish you a happy weekend!
ReplyDelete...thank you for participating Eileen.
DeleteAwesome photos of the birds, each one is such a great shot. You always manage to get such wonderful close up shots of your birds. I especially like the Woodpecker. I have not seen one like that one before. We have the Red Bellied Woodpeckers here. I don't see them in the summer, but now that it is getting cooler I have begun seeing them again.
ReplyDelete...maybe you can get a photo of the red-bellied soon for us if you share.
DeleteWhat great birds! The Nashville warbler and golden-fronted woodpecker are new to me. I just love that woodpecker! So pretty. Great Blue Herons are always a favorite, too, so unusual, feathers running amok...love it.
ReplyDelete...thanks Patti [and GBHs are one of my favorites to photograph]
DeleteEclectic yes. I'd say a really good mix too or is that the same? I'd never heard of Golden-fronted Woodpecker until now but your photo really explains it all. Recognise the Starling though for sure. Thanks for hosting the gallery Anni.
ReplyDelete...thank YOU, Phil, for participating!!
DeleteAnother nice series of beautiful birds, Anni. I especially like the woodpecker. By the way, its range actually extends far up into the Texas Panhandle. I photographed them in Palo Duro Canyon this past year.
ReplyDelete...I'm sure the range is just an estimation for the most of the maps found online. We saw a wood stork here in Texas, remember? And according to the habitat map, they're not supposed to be here in the coastal bend.
DeleteMy favourites...The Avocets. :)
ReplyDelete...and they're fun to watch when they're so busy feeding.
DeleteYou have captured so many beautiful birds! I am awfully fond of cardinals, so that one has to be my favorite shot. The woodpecker is great too.
ReplyDelete...both I can see sometimes in our yard, but I'm always a bit unprepared when outside in our yard...no camera. I too like the woodpecker and the cardinal is my favorite bird; period.
Delete...I see many, it's getting a photo of them that is a task sometimes. LOL
ReplyDeleteA great collection of birds this week Anni! I would love to see that Golden-fronted Woodpecker and I guess if I ever get back to Texas I will! Interesting info about the subspecies also.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to see one of those gold fronted woodpeckers but they aren't in our area.
ReplyDelete