A Song of the South...


Have you ever just been out walking in the Springtime fresh morning air and heard a bird, a lovely chorus of sound and followed the sound until you found the source? Well, this past week, being that it's now again migration season, I try to get outdoors even for just a few minutes with my camera at the ready, just in case! I've seen these birds only in photo when I've been trying to ID some small bird [a warbler mostly]. This particular time, I was determined to find the bird I heard. Bud and I could hear this song throughout the park...wherever we went, the bird's call could be heard above all else. I followed the sound. We were walking around a downtown city park that is part of the Coastal Bend Birding Trail...the 'birding trail' follows city streets near the coast and seawall, and travels along several different state highways. Included along the trail, are some parks to stop at and traverse, other places are just pulling off the road and search. Corpus Christi has been named the Birdiest city in America. And for good reason. The hundreds of birds flocking here in Spring/Autumn/and year 'round residents keeps any birder busy throughout the year. This particular day, this song was heard [I went out online to search for the White Eyed Vireo song byte, and borrowed it through the courtesy of a Google search; making a 14 second youtube slideshow of the four images I took after a longtime search in the tree...the particular bird is elusive!!  I read online while attempting to ID the vireo that they're mostly heard and seldom seen!!]. A most beautiful sound. I love to listen to mockingbirds early in the morning. This song was a bit similar, but still quite different if that makes any sense...

WHITE EYED VIREO
photos taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:



...and in case your browser shows no videos, I thought I'd add a couple more images to share of an entirely different bird we spotted while driving along the shore south of the city near the islands. When you reach near the islands, along the highway, there always seems to be several of these perched high above on the power poles/lines...'fishing' or with their 'catch of the day'. This time, if you know where to drive to, along the residential areas on the bay waters, oftentimes you can spot them as you drive...where there are areas to pull the car off the road and photograph. Along the causeways, taking pictures of them can be an accident waiting to happen. I'd much prefer the Laguna Shores Boulevard. LOL It was on the ground, quite camouflaged, but Bud spotted it as it was protecting and dining on its prey...


OSPREY
Photo taken: Laguna Shores - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:








Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.




32 comments:

  1. Love the photos of the osprey. I've just begun to see them drifting around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're here just 'bout year 'round. If you know where to look that is.

      Delete
  2. Great photos of the osprey. They should be returning to our area any time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks CG, glad you enjoyed the photos of the osprey.

      Delete
  3. the osprey is very handsome. i like the burbling sound of the vireo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb Osprey images Anni. I always think birding is at least 50/50 looking listening perhaps more leaning towards using ears more than eyes, at least at first until the bird is spotted. The vireo does have a very distinctive song and having listened to it I'm sure I'd know it again if only one would turn up in the UK. Thanks for your hosting again Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as far as I understand, most people just 'hear' them, they're so tiny and very difficult to spot. I think they're eerie looking once you spot the white irises of their eye color. LOL...but in turn, that makes them quite unique and very pretty at the same time.

      Delete
  5. Anni, the White-eyed Vireo is a great bird. And I love the Osprey. Great post and thanks for hosting. Wishing you a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Eileen, and happy Easter to you too.

      Delete
  6. The osprey photos are fierce and beautiful! I watched one fish once...before digital photography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great catch of the osprey....cool looking birds anytime! I am sitting on my deck this morning listening to the finches in the tree and at the feeders. We are out soaking in some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I bet that sunshine feels superb 'bout now!!

      Delete
  8. By rotating its head 180 degrees that Osprey gave you a 360 degree view! So true about the White-eyed Vireo usually being so difficult to spot. They sing right in front of you but move furtively through the branches. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it did indeed; now that you pointed it out. I was thrilled to spot this Viero!!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely loved the video. Sweet song and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your Osprey shots. A bird I see rather often, but only high up in the sky. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant photos Anni and a fun video to listen to with the accompanying photos. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Denise, glad you enjoyed their song.

      Delete
  12. I didn't realize your meme was open! When do you open it?

    Your osprey photos are awesome, Anni! Looks like from the map that the vireo is a year-round resident in my area. I still haven't seen one.

    Thanks for hosting and for all the neat bird info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...there is a new linky tool each and every Saturday at NOON [central time USA] Glad you enjoyed the post this week Gail.

      Delete
  13. I love that osprey! How cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...thanks, glad you enjoyed the images

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...don't fret Nora, the meme is open for the entire week to share your photos anytime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. ...thanks, I'm happy to know you enjoyed the photo shares this week.

      Delete
  17. Osprey are cool! Yeah the mornings here are burstin' forth with bird songs. It's wonderful. I hear songs I don't recognize from familiar birds. I try to record them in my little brain but it doesn't always work:)

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents