It was a gray day. Cloudy, threatening some rainfall from the dark, ominous, swiftly moving cloud-cover as we drove over the islands on our way to Port Aransas. Port A [as we locals call it] is just a small fishing/boating community along the Gulf Coast, and the Port of Corpus Christi's shipping channel that must be crossed by ferry in your automobile. Finally, we were there once again. Even tho it's been just a short two weeks of schools' Spring Breakers that inundate the beaches where no one else wants to traverse the area until they leave and go back to school....it seemed like months since we've been in the area. We went Monday. And the sadness of it all is the city crews were once again out in the grass covered dunes and along the island highway picking up truck loads of trash and litter from those above mentioned revelers. On the beaches, those with metal detectors were out in full-force. Bud and I stay away during the Spring Break, but we're always anxious to get back to traipsing the island shores and the birding refuges. One area we didn't bother to stop for was nearly completely dried up, lack of rainfall/drought, so we continued on our way. Our first stop we hit pay dirt!! There were a couple of great blue herons high up on the tree tops as we walked down the boardwalk to the first viewing area. The pond, tho quite dry still had a bit of water and in the water we saw white ibis, pintail ducks. Along the bank, one lone green heron. Off from the left of the pond, eight yellow crowned night herons. To the right of the pond, back in the trees, three adult black crowned night herons and two immature black crowned night herons. Hidden among the tree branches, in the far back reaches of the refuge land border, a lone black vulture was perched. One male cardinal sang to us as he flitted from limb to limb. It was quite a fruitful, shutter-snappin' kinda stop. After we viewed the birds for about an hour's time, we hopped back in the car and drove to our second stop. A vast area of water and reed [cat tail grass]. Altho there is a resident alligator in this area, we didn't see him. Here, there were cormorants, brown pelicans, gulls, moorhens, coots, ducks galore and a tri-colored heron. Then, off to the Marine Research Center on the other side of the village...where there is a facility called ARK, a rehabilitation for injured birds. One lone hawk in the cages. Just outside this research area/building complex, there is another pond. There, we saw a great blue heron, a couple of snowy egrets, cormorants, and sea gulls. From there it's just a short few minutes' drive to the ship channel and the beach. All the time at these three areas, the misty rain continued. By the time we made it to the beach and ship channel, the rain had stopped but the dense cloud cover remained. We walked the jetty and a few yards along the shore. Here we saw sea gulls, cormorants along the shore playing in the waves, diving just before the larger waves hit, and one snowy egret searching for fish at the rocky jetty. Some royal terns and one lone [in amongst the royals] sandwich tern as we walked the shoreline. I took several photos the entire time, until the camera's battery was exhausted. The one I'm showing today is several photos of pelican which I had fun watching...a brown pelican. A 'surfer dude'!! In surfer lingo...he was 'riding the waves'.
BROWN PELICAN
photo taken: Port Aransas Ship Channel Jetty - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range:

Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.









Fantastic Anni!
ReplyDelete...thanks Denise, he was fun to watch.
DeleteSuch rich colors on the pelican! Our Yellow-crowned Night-Herons in the local rookery have not started courting and building nests as yet. It is sad to hear how disrespectful the beach-goers can be.
ReplyDeleteI know. I really detest those few days the Spring Breakers come and destroy the beauty. If only they knew how to respect the area and still enjoy themselves. We saw several Yellow crowned Night Herons, they're so neat.
Deletebeautiful birds, they are!
ReplyDelete...this particular one was really decked out in beautiful colors.
DeleteBeautiful, intriguing perspectives of the brown pelican! Those ruffled feathers are quite dramatic! Like you, I am glad when the summer holiday makers have gone and I can enjoy my space on the beach again!
ReplyDelete...it's always more peaceful and enjoyable when the 'revelers' leave the area. LOL Yep, brown pelicans are so photogenic.
DeleteNice!
ReplyDelete...thanks Patti
DeleteAnni, sounds like a great birding outing. Lots of wonderful sightings! Love the pelican shots. It is a shame the spring breakers leave behind a mess to be cleaned up. I do hope the area has some much needed rain, will the drought affect the migrating birds? Great post, thanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteSo far, it just threatens rain early in the day, then ---all too soon the skies clear and no rain. :o(
DeleteGreat shots of the Brown Pelican. He's a beautiful bird.
ReplyDelete...he is indeed very handsome.
DeleteLooks like he was having a great time!
ReplyDelete...I know I was!! Watching him play around and enjoying his morning was worth the time I got splashed by incoming waves. LOL
DeleteYour pictures are amazing, you should make a collage of them and hang it somewhere. My favorites are #2 and #4!!
ReplyDeleteI've done that with sunrise photos but not birds yet. Good idea Ginny
DeleteAwesome! The Brown Pelican is beautiful!
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed this post Brian.
DeleteI enjoyed your narrative today Anni and I think your pelican shots are brilliant. Thanks for hosting once gain.
ReplyDelete...happy to know you liked reading my post and viewing the pelican in action Phil.
Delete...thanks Gunilla
ReplyDeleteHi Anni- thanks for hosting TBD. Great captures of the Pelicans especially with gray skies looming over head. Its been gray here in south Florida as well.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful Day ~:)
...glad you enjoyed the 'surfer' this week Pam.
DeleteBeautiful shots of the bird.
ReplyDeletewonderful photos of the Brown Pelican. I have seen it but not this close. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting.
...well, I wasn't all that 'close'...just a zoom lens.
DeleteLovely shots!
ReplyDeletePelicans are great!
...thanks Hans.
DeleteBeautiful photos! Thanks for hosting :)
ReplyDelete...thanks Rebecca
DeleteGorgeous photos of the pelican! I love watching these birds when visiting California Coast line!
ReplyDelete...they ARE fun to watch.
Delete...that's a shame that so few respect the globe and trash it up like that. I'm glad you enjoyed the pelican surfer this week Nora.
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed the series this weekend.
ReplyDeleteAnni, thanks for letting me know that my link was broken. I did as you said and tried to re-link but it said that I was already linked and wouldn't accept a new link.
ReplyDeleteI tried from InLinkz to edit it through the admin and it wouldn't take the correction, so I just added a new link for you. It's now directing those that want to visit to the right url.
DeleteThanks Anni, I appreciate your help. Sorry for the extra work- have a great day.
DeletePam...no problem. I'm glad to help when I can.
DeleteThank you for the wonderful memories of Port A (well not the spring breakers, but the rest of it)...we get those guys here at Ft Myers too, but it's bigger and seems to be able to assimilate them better, they don't create the problems they do there. Of course we're miles away from the beach which is where they hang out.
ReplyDeletePort A is so dry, it's sad.
DeleteBeautiful photograph, fantastic birds. I am greeting
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
DeleteBeautiful images, this pelican is gorgeous.
ReplyDelete...thanks Karen. Yes, I think they're beautiful too
DeleteGreat photos of the pelican.
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed these Mick
DeleteThese guys make me smile every time I see them.....they're especially beautiful now in their breeding plumage!!
ReplyDelete