Beauties and the 'beasties'


The beauty of the raptor, the osprey, continues to enchant me with their stature...their reputation of the great, ultimate fisher. Tho sometimes referred to as the fish eagle, or fish hawk, they are marvels to watch by any title as they perch themselves ever so patiently, on continual look-out for a source of protein. Many-a-time, while driving over the JFK Causeway from Corpus Christi to the islands, I spot them up on the highest of street light poles that decorate the highway with their catch of the day!!! In flight, they too are marvels...gracefully gliding, soaring through the air to land precisely on ground, or over water as they pluck a huge fish from 'nature's tank' to only carry it within their humongous talons on shore or high above out of other predator's way, to consume their meal. Despite their size, their bodies are slender, with long, narrow wings and long legs. I read that ospreys fly with a marked kink in their wings, making an M-shape when seen from below; this I've not noticed. This particular one, I captured from the car's window, was alert to my slowly inching the car within photo range... while it sat, statuesque, on top of a wooden nesting box along the shoreline on Oso Bay...


OSPREY
Photo taken: Laguna Shores - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:


Then, there is beauty in the red cloak this fellow wears each day. Cardinal Red in fact...the male's red body and crest, reminiscent of a Catholic cardinal's cassock and biretta. Not that he's MORE pretty than his maiden...she is just a beautiful with her silver boa, and cardinal red accessories. But, around here, it seems that the male is more out in the open. The female is more elusive. Perhaps playing 'hard to get'? Who knows. I did not know this, but reading about them the other day, the Northern Cardinal has an alias [according to wikipedia that is] -- aka Cardinal Grosbeaks.



NORTHERN CARDINAL [male]
photo taken: Hans Suter Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:



Beastly in appearance, but necessary in life...the Muscovy Ducks are mainly populated from the far south regions of the globe. Their origins seem to be that they're native to South America; found all around the world now as domesticated farm livestock. Once called by a familiar name: "Musco Duck": --known to farmers and imported/exported for the one simple fact: they reportedly consume a lot of mosquito larva and hatched pests found on farmland. A TRUE WILD Muscovy [link from wikipedia] doesn't look even close to what we see around the Coastal Texas area lakes and ponds. Normally, when spotted, they make no noise but their call is rather silently subdued, unlike other wild ducks. The male's call is deep 'throaty' - no real 'quack', while the female has a soft cooing. Yet, the wild Muscovy breed is nearly all black and very little distinctive wattle [or carnucle... similar to the turkey in color and denseness]. The more domesticated Muscovy ducks can come in an array of colors. From dappled to nearly solid. Colors range from black and white to lavender according to online references. I've only seen the white and black, and an iridescent black with white speckled head. Personally, I don't see much beauty to the duck, but like the distinct characteristics of vultures and turkeys, among others, their striking appearance has nothing to do with fault...only nature taking its course and serving a purpose in the whole scheme of things: the many many ecosystems, including our own.





MUSCOVY DUCK
Photos taken: Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:




33 comments:

  1. Osprey are awesome in every way and Mr Red cloak is always stunning.
    Anni you make the Muscovy Duck look downright handsome in that last shot.
    My thanks for hosting TBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks for linking up Pam...without birders like you and others who stop by, there wouldn't be a D'Pot!!!

      Delete
  2. WAU - where some great pictures you show. Have never seen a "Musco Duck". :) Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...well, then, Hanne, glad you stopped by to view the Muscovy. Their odd and neat at the same time.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful post and lovely images...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ospreys are so intense! i like these kind of cardinals better than any in a conclave. :)

    and i've always been amused by muscovies and their weird caruncles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Muscovy are different to be sure. And, I've only seen them here since we relocated to Texas. Osprey are so pretty. And of course Cardinals...yes, I agree. Much prettier than those 'others'. LOL

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks...love what you did with the grackle!!

      Delete
  6. I have only ever seen a Muscovy here in Victoria in the Dromana wetlands. It is all white feathers plus that collection of bumps round the face. Your osprey has a real "don't mess with me" look! A powerful looking character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do have a touch of meanness in their eyes, to be sure.

      Delete
  7. Great close ups of the Muscovy Suck. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we have the Osprey too. They are supposed to breed in my area but I have never seen it. But I see them fishing and that is a great entertainment. :) But this duck is a weird one. :)

    Thanks for letting me know about the faulty link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Osprey are a favorite of mine. The duck, hmmm I think my jury is still out on that one! All nice shots though and I love reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I agree they look like they've got the crud. LOL...

      Delete
  10. What a great close-up photo of the Muscovy! Loved the contrasting birds of this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed the post this week Rebecca

      Delete
  11. Now I am looking forward to ospreys returning to central Ontario. Only one more month! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're here almost year 'round. I don't think I see too many in the hot summer months, but very few.

      Delete
  12. Hi Anni, great post! The Ospreys are cool and I love your pretty Cardinal. The Muscovy duck is a neat looking duck. Wonderful photos, thanks for hosting! Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....thank YOU, and happy week ahead to you too.

      Delete
  13. The osprey is a majestic bird. Love that perky cardinal crest. We have the Muscovy here, too. They are easily distinguished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes they are...nothing else like this breed of duck.

      Delete
  14. You are so lucky to just drive by Ospreys like that Anni. thay are indeed wonderful birds, as you so eloquently say. Thanks once again for hosting the meme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...one day while driving over the causeway to the islands, we counted NINE osprey.

      Delete
  15. That osprey is a handsome fellow. I see more female cardinals around than males. Gosh that duck's face is a work of art. Great shots Anni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...hhmmm, now isn't that odd?!! You have more females than males while here it's just the opposite.

      Delete
  16. Me too....cardinals are a favorite backyard bird of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I'm so glad I didn't miss the link up! I almost forgot. My brain lately has been in a fog. Glad I have a few moments before I leave on my trip today to say 'hi' and hope you have a great day. I'd love to see the osprey in person one of these days. Enjoyed your photos of the cardinals and muscovy duck. Thank you so much for hosting the meme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your photo trip. Hope you get lots of good ones to view through the lens and share with us.

      Delete

Table of Contents