All-l-l-l-l-righty, then!! After days, weeks, totaling nearly a couple of months returning to a certain park within the downtown city business area here in Corpus Christi, knowing that at least one of these birds was taking up residence there [from going on the Audubon Hikes on Sundays each week in April], we all saw it several times as it flew around the heavily treed areas of the park, but never landing long enough to get a good focus on the rascally, cagey one....Bud and I made many daily trips back to the park throughout April and into May this year. Recording on May 17th, I was off by myself in a darkened corner, under the heavy canopy of oaks and mulberries, one flew into the trees and lighted on a far away branch outcropping!! I slowly, trying not to draw any attention to myself, brought the camera up to my eyes and looking through the viewfinder, I focused on the branch where he perched. Now, if any of you are familiar with this bird, you will know that it is most definitely a flighty, very nervous and cautious bird!! Any sudden movement from anything will trigger an instinct for it to flee the premises: as quickly as possible and making a direct flight out of harm's way. If you don't focus through the lens quickly enough, you're more or less out of luck in getting another opportune time to capture it on 'film' for the day. And in my area of Texas, it's a rarity to even see one during the daylight hours since it's most active at night. It is a night hunter. Their song is what gave them their name!! The song itself is quite beautiful!! It's nearly a continual song...repeating over and over and over throughout dusk and into the darkened hours of the night. The lyrics are hard to describe verbally, but I'll try. The first syllabic note is more or less quite a bit subdued in tone..."Chuh"...then after an instant pause, the sounds become a bit more strong, yet a soft pitched whistling..."quill -whi- doe". Over and over, it's repeated. And once you've heard this melody in the darkness of night, you'll never forget it! Also, the "Chuck" is VERY similar to the Whip-poor-will!! But there are a couple of defining ID'ing facts to decipher the differences...Chuck Will's Widow has a more flat topped head [while the Whip-poor-will has a rounded crown] and the tail...Chuck Will's Widow carries/holds its tail downward. Also, I've seen Whip-poor-wills in Colorado, and to me, if my memory serves me correctly, the Chuck Will's Widow is more tawny brown than the Whip-poor-will which has a gray tinge to the feather color.
...from first landing, to zooming in close:
They are the largest of American nightjar species!! When flying, the size is shocking comparing to when perched. The wingspan is entirely rusty brown in flight. I believe this is a male. The female, according to my books and online research, the gal pal wears a more prominent cream-colored collar around her neck. The nests are non-existent...they lay their eggs on the ground, camouflaged in the woody, leafy ground cover. The whiskers under the beak and on the chin [rictal bristles] are an aid to catching insects while in flight during the darkness.
Here's a link from Cornell Lab Birding Site that you can play to hear its night time lullaby: click here.
CHUCK WILL'S WIDOW
photos taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
- - * * * - -
Again, after weeks of attempting to sight and photograph an American Redstart [especially the colorful male] without success, I, finally, was able to watch the two forage on the ground where some fallen tree branches were located nearby the water outlet over on Mustang Island. The grounds were lush with tall grasses and with the drizzling of water from the piped in water supply...I guess the insects were quite heavily populated and the two Redstarts were scurrying and munching away. Allowing me to get several shots of them. I love their fanned tails...
AMERICAN REDSTART
[male and female]
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat range:
Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.











So many beautiful shots, and pretty birds!
ReplyDeletecongrats on the chuck will's widow! i've often wondered if we get them here, but the call i hear in summer sounds much more like a whipporwill.
ReplyDeletethat female redstart is a pert little thing!
You always have a nice set of bird photos!
ReplyDeleteYou sure do get to see some awesome and beautiful birds!
ReplyDeleteChuck Will's Widow is a unique-looking bird, what pretty patterns adorn its wings. Congrats on finding it! The American Redstarts are pretty birds, I've never seen them, but according to the map they may breed in our area. I need to do some more exploring. Thanks for sharing your find with us.
ReplyDeleteReading and looking at your blog today has been like watching a great suspense movie!!! Wow, SO cool! What a hidden night bird. I DID listen to the call,very cool!! And the Redstart, never seen one.
ReplyDeleteGreat series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDeleteOur Nightjar is also very secretive ... I'll be going out at dusk in the few weeks to listen for them and hopefully see one or two flying but I think getting an image is out of the question.
ReplyDeleteWell done Anni for getting your series of shots.
Looks like you had a bang up week missy! So glad you found your elusive birds always a bonus. Oh and that you shared with us!
ReplyDeleteVery nice. I've not seen chuck will's widow yet and for the american redstart, just a quick glimpse and it flew away. Lucky you!
ReplyDeleteVery nice. Pretty birds. We do not see many in my area like you show. So I enjoy birds
ReplyDeletelike you have shown.
You have had an exciting week! The map here doesn't show it, but we have chuck-will's-widows here in Canada in a couple of places on the north side of Lake Erie (and reportedly in one spot on Lake Ontario) - but I have never seen one.
ReplyDeleteRedstarts don't stay long in one place! Hooray for capturing them with your lens!
Anni, awesome shots of the nightjar. They are cool birds. Wonderful post. Have a happy day!
ReplyDeleteNightjars are always so secretive, ours just the same. you did well to even get glimpses of one Anni never mind be able to take pictures. You got a great shot of the feamle redstart too.
ReplyDeleteAnni, your persistence has really paid off. I am yet to see a Chuck-wills-widow, though I have heard them a few times. Those redstarts can also be a pain as they never sit still.
ReplyDeletenever seen any of them before. This is the benefit of joining memes, you learn so much. :)
ReplyDeleteLovely shots!
ReplyDeleteLovely serie of photos.
ReplyDeleteI have not seen any of them before!
Anni, saw two Redstarts this morning, but they were not as willing to be photographed as your pair. Good Capture.
ReplyDeleteI especially like the American Redstarts; looking very alert
ReplyDeleteWow Anni, those are two absolutely awesome birds. Glad you saw both of them. I've heard of the Redstarts --but had never even heard of Chuck Will's Widow.. What a great name!!!! Beautiful birds---both of them. Congrats. I know you were happy.
ReplyDeleteI have a great bird post coming up tomorrow. Don't miss it.
Hugs,
Betsy
What a wonderful capture! I'd not heard of this one before.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures, especially the redstart, the other bird I do not know.
ReplyDeleteThis species is not present in the Netherlands.
Regards, Irma
Stunning photos - all of them. Patience does pay off. We vacationed in Northern Wisconsin last summer and Don wanted me to hear a Whippoorwill, but we never did hear one.
ReplyDeleteVery nice series of bird photos!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!
Lovely photos and another great post. Thanks Anni, I am a little late but I have linked up too.
ReplyDelete