The Mamas and the Papas



....ahhhh, those were the days. Now I've got California Dreamin' on my mind. The songs of the 60's and 70's. Ahem...okay, got that off my chest after thinking right away I'd title this post "The Mamas and the Papas". I'll move on quickly--

The Mamas:

[I dubbed this duo "Mother Goose and Grimm"] - The mama only seems to have had one survive. I couldn't spot any other goslings that day. It was taken at a small neighborhood park that has a pond, filled with ducks, shovelers, white and brown geese along with, at times, herons, ibis, cormorants and other water birds.

BROWN GOOSE
photo taken: Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi, Texas



RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Oso Bay
[apologies for the quality of photo...the wind was really blowing a gale that day, and the branches were swaying profusely!!]
This photo was taken at the park, on May 25th. I plan to return within 16 days [what I read is incubation time frame] to see if I can find her again, and see if the nestlings hatched/are being fed. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Habitat Range:


The Papas:



SCARLET TANAGER
photo taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:



GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
photo taken: Back yard feeder - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:




Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.






21 comments:

  1. It is a thrill to find a hummingbird nest. I also hope you find it doing well when you return. Tha Scarlet Tanager is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. golden front! wow! great spotting on the hummingbird nest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find on that nest!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful birds, and I love that golden front woodpecker! Have never seen one before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice selection Anni. I don't think I have seen an image of a Golden-fronted Woodpecker before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Scarlet Tanager is my favorite today, beautiful!!!! We loved the songs of The Mamas and Papas, especially "California Dreamin'" It is one of the best songs EVER! But poor Papa, he was really a MESS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that tiny little nest. Great shots. Nice woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anni, nice post! I love the gosling and the cute hummer on the nest. Awesome sighting of the hummer nest, I've never been able to find one. Thanks for hosting, happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Toulouse geese! My Lucy is trying to nest right now (much to my disapproval because I don't need more geese). Beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely bird photos, great photowork and edit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely birds! I think red is my favorite color in a bird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. J hope you find the hummingbird family alive and well. I have never discovered a hummingbird nest. How cool that you have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos, Anni. The lone gosling is an adorable little creature.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goslings are so cute! Love the hummingbird and tanager! We're still waiting to see hummingbirds here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, neat nest. Great find. Viewed a ruby throated today but did not see a nest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great photos...came to visit from Texwisgirl...love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have some bright colours there with the red of the woodpecker and the cardinal Anni. "Flaming" is a bit of a harmless swear word in colloquial UK speak. Also June is said to be when the weather really warms up into a red hot and "flaming" month - some chance for both of us Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great shots! I would love to see a Tanager someday...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anni, I love the name of your blog! Beaut images, I hope you get to see the hummingbird nestlings.
    I can comment from my www.lirralirra.com site for some reason, I'll try anonymous and hope that works.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents