A Wee Bit O' flycatching & More...


In researching for ID'ing this bird, I knew off hand that it was a type of flycatcher. But the solid black, very thick, beak is what stopped me in my tracks. In my guide book it's called Wied's Flycatcher. A former title. Today it's named the Brown Crested Flycatcher. Its distinction is the burnt rufous coloring in the tail and wing, and a lighter colored, nearly white throat patch. Along with a brown crest. While in the past two weeks, I've been making a daily [missed only a couple days] trip to the park to check on the progress of the Hummingbird nest I posted about, and I had the zoom lens extended already to not disturb the mama hummingbird any...I quickly whipped the camera to focus on the flycatcher after it flew up and landed on the power pole nearby...



BROWN CRESTED FLYCATCHER [aka Wied's Flycatcher]
photos taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:


TRIVIA
  1. Its former name, "Wied's Crested Flycatcher," was in honor of Prince Maximilian of Wied, a German naturalist and traveler in early-19th-century America.
  2. Their bill is larger by 25%, with a more prominent hook than most flycatchers [see 2nd photo].
  3. This species is present in Texas from about March 3 until September 14. In Texas from sea level to about 300 m (1000 ft).
  4. This species prefers subtropical vegetation.
  5. Brown Crested Flycatchers breed in natural cavities or abandoned woodpecker holes which are filled with animal hair and feathers.


On another evening, at dusk, I was outdoors in our backyard, filling the bird baths and cleaning out the feeder boxes when along came a bird that lighted on the cable just a few feet away from me. As I continued watering, I watched it jump up off the wire, swing around catching flying insects and landing back on the wire...for several minutes. After finishing my watering and cleaning, I went indoors and grabbed the camera, hoping it would still be there. It was...




EASTERN WOOD PEWEE
photo taken: Backyard - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:


TRIVIA
  1. Males can sometimes be polygamous, mating with two females, simultaneously.
  2. Wood pewees wait on a perch at a middle height in a tree and fly out to catch prey in flight, sometimes hovering to pick it from vegetation.


...and I made a collage of sorts of what Bud and I have been watching the past month. From May 20th, the day we spied a Ruby Throated Hummingbird beginning her nest building, to seeing two small jelly bean sized white eggs, to the Hummingbird hatchlings on June 12th. We plan on going back sometime this following week to see how the babies have grown!....

  1. The hummingbird is the smallest bird and also the smallest of all animals that have a backbone.
  2. A hummingbird has no sense of smell
  3. Because the hummingbird can rotate its wings in a circle, they are the only bird that can fly forwards, backwards, up, down ,sideways and hover in mid air.
  4. To conserve energy while they sleep or when food is scarce, they can go into a hibernation-like state (torpor) where their metabolic rate is slowed to 1/15th of its normal rate.
  5. During migration, some hummingbirds make a non-stop 500 mile flight over the Gulf of Mexico.
  6. During courtship dives a hummingbird can reach speeds up to 60 miles per hour and can average speeds of 20 to 30 miles per hour.
  7. Hummingbirds are the second largest family of birds with 343 species.
  8. Hummingbirds can beat their wings up to 80 times a second during normal flight and up to 200 times per second during a courtship dive.
  9. The hummingbird has a heart rate that can reach up to 1,260 beats per minute.
  10. Percentage wise, the hummingbird has the largest brain of all birds (4.2% of its total body weight).
  11. Hummingbirds have very weak feet and use them mainly just for perching.

RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
photos taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:





Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.








19 comments:

  1. A wonderful post Anni... many thanks for sharing your beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that flycatcher is neat! and the pewee, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful birds. The hummingbirds are amazing little critters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great clear captures!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The head of your flycatcher is shaped like our kookaburra - but a smaller version! And the wings have our sparrow tones! Interesting bird! And love the little pewee with the cuteky shaped tail! Fascinating post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the captures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures of the flycatcher! Even though he is not real colorful, he is still so clear! I have not heard of him, he would be so hard to identify! The Pewee looks a bit like a titmouse, except larger and without the little crest. The hummers are beyond cute, and I love seeing their sweet nests up close!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice views of the Flycatcher, Pewee and those dear little 'hummers'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing the brown-created flycatcher. It really does look different from most of the birds in the flycatcher family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni, love your cute flycatchers. And the hummer nest is awesome! Cool sightings and wonderful photos. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flycatcher and the pewee are lovely little birds. How great to know of a hummer's nest to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both flycatchers are super birds Anni. I always think that flycatchers do us humans a great service by keping down the number of insects that bother us. In fact we would be knee deep in insects if it wasn't for birds. Good to see the hummer nest progressing too. Thanks for hosting again and have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lucky you are to see the hummingbird nesting. Lovely photos for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome to see the hummingbird nesting! Love that. Interesting that the bird's name was changed. All great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always learn so much from your posts! Love the collage of the hummingbird nest. How exciting to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I especially loved the Eastern Wood Peewee; first time I've seen this one

    ReplyDelete
  17. they do have a big head to that small body. But they are gorgeous birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always have some very interesting posts on birds Anni and I love to read them. The photos are great too.

    Have a great weekend,
    Denise
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents