Not much to this post this week except now that it's June, summer is nearly here. What else to do but go fishin' on the long hot days of summer!!! Just like the song goes "Summertime and the livin' is easy, fish are jumpin ' and the cotton is high...."
The catch of the day...


COMMON EGRET [aka Great Egret]
photos taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
TRIVIA:
- The Great Egret is the symbol of the National Audubon Society, one of the oldest environmental organizations in North America. Audubon was founded to protect birds from being killed for their feathers.
- Great Egrets fly slowly but powerfully: with just two wingbeats per second their cruising speed is around 25 miles an hour.
...this one didn't get away!
GREAT BLUE HERON
photos taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:
TRIVIA:
- Despite their impressive size, Great Blue Herons weigh only 5 to 6 pounds thanks in part to their hollow bones—a feature all birds share.
- Great Blue Herons have specialized feathers on their chest that continually grow and fray. The herons comb this “powder down” with a fringed claw on their middle toes, using the down like a washcloth to remove fish slime and other oils from their feathers as they preen. Applying the powder to their underparts protects their feathers against the slime and oils of swamps.
...dancin' prancin' catchin' -swallowin' whole

photos taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
TRIVIA:
- According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, there are only 1,500 to 2,000 nesting pairs of reddish egrets in the United States.
- The Migratory Bird Treaty Act, passed in 1918, put a stop to the slaughter of birds for their plumes. Although populations are recovering, habitat loss and destruction are still problems for the ongoing existence of the Reddish Egret.
Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.












great catches! :)
ReplyDeleteoh this is sooooo cool!
ReplyDeleteThose herons did very well-- those are substantial sized fish! I did not realize that the Reddish Egret numbers were that low. We had an immature one visit our wetlands here, 18 miles inland in South Florida, and it put on quite a show with its "prancin' and dancin'."
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, Your herons and egrets don't mess around with small fry do they. Those fish would make a good meal for our family never mind a bird. Take it easy with your "prancin and dancin" and don't get too excited now.
ReplyDeleteExcellent serie of photos.
ReplyDeleteLovely birds!
Wonderful shots! I had fish today too, but I didn't have to catch it myself.
ReplyDeleteGreat fishing shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDeleteGREAT Captures!
ReplyDeleteThese are great shots of these beautiful birds!
ReplyDeleteFabulous photos, Anni. I love that song Summertime: "fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high"...oh yes!
ReplyDeleteGreat to see your comment on my Venetian version of cows. Yes, long time no see. I've been sick for a long time, even when traveling, which is no fun at all. Finally yelled at the doc loud enough that he made a change in my blood sugar medication and damned if it didn't help almost immediately. Gut-wrenching pain gone. Other horrible-awfuls gone.
Now working on getting my strength back. We are having a years-delayed garage sale this month, going to my 50-year high school grad reunion next month, got to whip myself into shape now that I know I'm not dying.
Doctors sometimes ignore Little Old Ladies because they think we're just wimps. If a man had the pain I've endured for years, he'd be paid-attention-to immediately, I swear.
Well, enough cussing from me.
Great to hear from you, and glad you're enjoying your summer with camera and fishing rod.
All the best,
K
That reddish egret is really cool. You have some wonderful shots there miss and I'll add my link once I get my bird posts put together for this coming week. Was out to Heron Island today and there are babies, unfortunately the reservoir has risen so much I'm afraid many other birds have lost their nests so it really was pretty quiet out there. :( I know for sure the shore birds were flooded out.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds and photos, Anni. The Reddish Egret is my favorite! Thanks for hosting, have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteIf you call this not MUCH to post, then I cnnot imagine a day when there IS something to post! These are AWESOME!! I have never seen the Reddish one, never even knew there was one, what fun seeing a new huge bird! Keep up the good work!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful collection of egrets, Anni! Well done!
ReplyDeleteThese are some super shots!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd, I can't stop singing 'Summertime' :)
Re chokecherry jelly. Three years ago some friends and I made chokecherry, and pin cherry jelly. Talk about good. But the branches, seeds, and everything but the berries contain prussiac acid which is poisonous. That is not the case with pin cherries. I think this is all arcane knowledge(your mother's generation)lost in a sea of unhealthy processed food. Regards Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Reddish Egert.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post. I'm glad I ran across your blog...:)
ReplyDeleteNice catch!
ReplyDeleteGreat info and photos. The Common Egret almost seems to be smiling at the camera - no doubt proud of its catch!
ReplyDeleteGreat post Anni, love all those neat bird pictures. I have added my link but am a bit late. My post will be a couple down from the top.
ReplyDeleteHappy week to you,
Denise
Today’s Flowers
An English Girl Rambles
excellent post; what a bounty of wonderful heron photos you picked up and all with such fabulous action
ReplyDeleteGreat photos, I loved all the facts!
ReplyDeleteI´m glad I´m not an egret. I don´t like fish. :) Gorgeous shots. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, I don't like fish all that much either. That makes two of us.
DeleteYour photos are amazing! Well done! I spotted mine in the rookery, not eating! cheers
ReplyDeleteGreat series.
ReplyDelete