Spread your wings and fly....


Finally, I was able to capture one in flight as it silently soared just inches above the water's surface. These skimmers are quite unusual looking and once I first sighted one I was in awe of their expertise in getting their nutrients from holding their jaw open as they flew along the shoreline supping up food stuffs. Their jaw/beaks are another trait that interested me. But, while we're out birding and such, I have had the opportunity to watch them in their daily habits, but have never been lucky enough to get a clear, sharp, photo of their flight patterns. Until now...
..and once they pass by so quickly in pursuit of a meal, within minutes [most often] they circle around and go 'skimming' in the opposite direction from which they came!



BLACK SKIMMER
photos taken: Oso bay [land lubber] and Whitecap beach - Corpus Christi, Texas and Padre Island, Texas
Habitat Range:

TRIVIA:
The Black Skimmer is active throughout the day, it is largely crepuscular (active in the dawn and dusk).
The Black Skimmer is the only American representative of the skimmer family.




ROYAL TERN
photo taken: Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:

TRIVIA:
The Royal Tern is found only along ocean beaches.
The Royal Tern makes its nest scrape on the ground on low-lying islands. The coupled pair defecates directly on the nest rim. After a few weeks, the nest rim hardens..., perhaps to reinforce the nest against flooding?!!


...lastly this week, I thought I'd share many of the hundreds of Springtime migrants into our area. Several different warblers frequented our local and nearby wooded areas during the month of April and into early May. With all the hundreds of photos I took during the 6-7 week span of migration, I've been busy getting them framed [physically] into wooden collage frames and hanging them on our wall in our home. They're just too pretty to keep on a disc. Anyway, we were preparing to return to the car and get back home from this refuge/outing, and as we were walking out from the wooded trail, to the parking lot, this beautiful one caught my eye. And it too gave me the privilege of seeing its wingspan!! This one in particular, so colorful and prettily marked is the Blackburnian Warbler:


BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER
photos taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:

TRIVIA:
No other North American warbler has an orange throat.
The begging of the blackburnian warbler chicks can even attract chickadees.


By the way...for USA bloggers and birders, have a happy safe holiday on the 4th of July!!





Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.








22 comments:

  1. now you post a bird I REALLY would like to see. The Black skimmer. It is such a cool looking bird and you got great shots :)

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots of the skimmers and tern, and that Blackburnian makes me"burn" with envy, as I have not yet gotten a satisfactory image of one. Just back from a two week lapse during our Arizona travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I live and learn, wondering why I never saw Skimmers in Mexico. Now you tell me they are crepescualr - oh well an excuse to go back to Cancun. great pics Anni and thanks for hosting again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome shots of the Skimmers, they are cool birds. The Terns are cute and the Blackburnian is beautiful. Great photos, Anni. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic shot and capture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anni Great shots of both birds and I am sure you are pleased you finally got a shot of them. It is a great pity the copyright goes though all of the photos detracting from them. Have a great weekend and thanks for hosting. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOvely serie of photos!
    So many cute birds! Love it!
    (Posting from the top of Norway (2469 moh, bad internet conections...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anni Thanks for your comment on my blog. I did understnad why people do this and I am very sorry you have to resort to these measures to protect your photos. It the same thing as one bad apple spoils it for the rest. Anyhow, as you say,it is your decision. Be blessed. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite are the Skimmers, their beaks are amazing and impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni. All these wonderful pics bring back memories of seeing these birds for the first time .... Skimmers and Blackburnian at Cape May and then masses of Royal Terns during a few days around High Island. Must try to get back to Texas sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anni
    Thank you for inviting me to your bird meme, I'll try to join as often as possible. I take so many photos of the birds in our backyard and rarely the grandchildren when they visit. How bad is that!
    The black skimmer sure has a huge beak and I see the Blackburnian Warbler will summer in Ontario so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice find on the warblers!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The uplift of the black skimmer's wings is amazing! And love the spread of the blackburnian warbler's wings! Enchanting photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Skimmers are always fascinating to watch. I've tried capturing them while skimming in the water. Lovely warbler sighting too. Nice captures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni - was fortunate to view a Blackburnian Warbler in Beechwood State Park in Upstate New York on May 5th 2013. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terns are a challenge to capture flying, that's for sure! Funnily enough, I posted a tern today too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to see all these birds. Great photos Anni, great post!
    Denise
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  18. You get to see so many unusual birds! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents