Oh the trials of photographing birds! You know what I mean, right? You spot this beautiful bird, and you have an opportune moment to capture it in all its glory; a beautiful pose...yet, by the time you pull your camera up from your neck [I carry mine over my neck and on my shoulders most often when I'm walking the trails - no tripod] - by then, the bird has flown off or turned around showing you its backside. Or maybe, just maybe when you're on the shores of a lake, or the coast, or near a pond...you have your camera set, spot a great bird on the water's surface, begin to focus your lens...and BAM!! It dives into the water; disappearing?!! Are you with me?
While walking across the boardwalk and climbing the observation tower and climbing down again and walking a farther distance on the boardwalk, I spotted with my binoculars a bird couple quite a distance from where I was. I zoomed in to find them...snapped the shutter without focusing 'cause I know their antics quite well. Lo and behold as soon as the shutter release button was depressed, it's like the submarine sound "ahooooga" [or a klaxon] alerting them to make a dive !!
See?
...surfacing
On that particular day it was cloudy and drizzling a fine mist. We decided to close up shop and head home. But...another day, filled with sunshine and blue skies, Bud and I returned to the area and I was able to capture these. This time the grebe was quite a lot closer to the track and I was thrilled to see its beautiful red eyes in my viewfinder as I snapped away:
EARED GREBE
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range:
TRIVIA
- The Eared Grebe migrates only at night. Because of the length of its fall staging, its southward fall migration is the latest of any bird species in North America.
- On cold, sunny mornings, the Eared Grebe, like some other grebe species, sunbathes by facing away from the sun and raising its rump, exposing dark underlying skin to light. This behavior may make the bird appear to have a distinctive "high-stern" profile.
- - - * * * - - -
During the latter weeks of migration my sighting of the cinnamon teal was recorded!! It was a duck that was on my list of photographing. Only, perhaps because of the beautiful color of the male. The female, very similar to the other teals such as the blue winged/female mallard. For several days they were at the area. But, sadly they weren't very active when we arrived at different times of day. In other words, when we were there, they weren't out swimming; but taking a siesta! No matter, I was able to get 'up close and personal'...
CINNAMON TEAL
photos takend: Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range:
TRIVIA
- The female Cinnamon Teal often places her nest below matted, dead stems of vegetation so it is completely concealed on all sides and from above. She approaches the nest through tunnels in the vegetation.
- The majority of cinnamon teal breed in the western United States near the Great Salt Lake, Malheur Basin, San Luis Valley and Cariboo-Chilcotin parklands.
Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.












Great Teal shots.Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.
ReplyDeleteI know that feeling of catching the south end of a bird flying north, or even more often, a frame full of leaves or a blank sky! Those flashing red eyes of the grebe are captivating. The Cinnamon Teal is one of my favorites. So far I have not gotten a photo of either. They are not too common in my Florida neighborhood and I started photography a bit too late.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds! The colour of the cinnamon teal is fabulous. I think I delete more photos than I keep because I don't get the photo I wanted. Getting only the backside or a frame full of leaves sounds very familiar.
ReplyDeleteThose red eyes are haunting. Although not a serious birder like yourself, I do get frustrated sometimes when getting the focus and the subject flies away. Guess we all experience with this.
ReplyDeleteAt least with butterflies I can follow them around the yard.
Judith
They have such gorgeous colors!
ReplyDeleteoh, wow! a cinnamon teal would thrill me! those grebes are cool, too!
ReplyDeleteTwo super species for this weeks post Anni.
ReplyDeleteAs for the point, click and 'missed it' it happens to me all the time!
Great birds, Anni! The Cinnamon Teal is wonderful and my favorite is the Grebes. There is just something about the Grebes, I love them all. Have a happy weekend and thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeleteThese birds are spectacular! And the way you have captured their eyes! I have never seen any. BUT, WHY eared? I do not see any ears...
ReplyDeleteYes, I recognize the situation. Especially if I see a shy species or birds doing something interesting. Then it is touch and go if you get any pictures at all. I wish you a great sunday!
ReplyDeleteYes, I know a LOT about seeing a beautiful pose and then missing it. :) Very frustrating!
ReplyDeleteI would LOVE to see and photograph a cinnamon teal. Someday...maybe.
Love the red eyes! Great photos, info and trivia! Thanks for hosting. :)
ReplyDeleteColorful photos. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletePhotographing birds is challenging! You have captured a couple of lovely subjects with your lens.
ReplyDeleteI know where you are coming from Anni. The whoosh of wings or the "plop" of a dive - if only birds would keep still like flowers and so make our lives easier? fabulous eyes on the grebes. Thanks for hosting as well as doing all your birding. Dedication is the name of the game.
ReplyDeletethe eared grebe is a new one for me. Love it. And your lovely teal too.
ReplyDeleteWhat you describe is "the life of a bird photographer". So true all of it.
I think these are great- I know the feeling of missing the great shot- I do it all the time. This bird is a beaut!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photographs, you are discovering wonderful images:) Greetings
ReplyDeleteBeautiful bird and beautiful shots!
ReplyDeleteGreat shots of both the Eared Grebe and the Cinnamon Teal Anni. It's funny how grebes, and diving ducks as well, can escape out lenses in the blink of an eye. One of my favorite disappearing acts is the submarine dive of the Pied-billed Grebe ;-)
ReplyDeleteHi Anni I know you left a comment on my post last week that I had not put a link to D'Pot but when I did my post it was 12 hours before yours and then I went away and had not internet when you post came in to link too so sorry about that. I suppose that is aproblem with time zones especially at the weekend. Hoping to catch it this weekend!! Margaret
ReplyDeleteHi Anni I know you left a comment on my post last week that I had not put a link to D'Pot but when I did my post it was 12 hours before yours and then I went away and had not internet when you post came in to link too so sorry about that. I suppose that is aproblem with time zones especially at the weekend. Hoping to catch it this weekend!! Margaret
ReplyDelete