Black is black....


In a song from years ago, Los Bravos reminded me of the bird color of choice this week. Black is Black:

I mentioned last week, I had planned on sharing some of the Springtime Migratory birds and then with the sighting of the Frigatebirds, I changed my mind. Well, this week, I'll catch up a bit...

...with this particular bird species during breeding season:






BRONZED COWBIRD [female 1st photo, male 2nd photo, last photo both]
photos taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range:



TRIVIA:
  • Cowbirds are brood parasites [laying their eggs in other birds' nests!]


  • Male eyes turn red during breeding season...otherwise bronze/brown





  • ...this next share is one I spotted in the Spring only by chance while walking the birding area of Calallen, Texas, I heard the beautiful, unique song. The song, so unusual, lured me to stop and make use of the binoculars from a distance. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was another bird I wanted to photograph only because I had seen its picture in all my birding books -also being a bird found ONLY in South Texas, and this would be a 'first'. But it was a real booger to capture through the lens. Right after I spotted it in the tree tops, well hidden by lush branches, I had to move around to get it in focus. It flew off, naturally! I followed with my eyes in hopes it wouldn't fly too far. It landed in another crop of trees about 50 yards from where I stood. This was my only chance in getting a photo. I walked...trying to sneak up on it. When I got close enough, it left again!! But just to another branch, deeper within the same tree. This is the ONE photo I got of it before it left to places unknown:



    GROOVE-BILLED ANI
    photo taken: Hazel Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas
    habitat range:


    TRIVIA:

  • The Groove-billed Ani is a tropical species that reaches the United States only in pasturelands and open country of southern Texas.


  • Its membership in the cuckoo family is revealed by its two-toes-foreward, two-toes-back foot arrangement.


  • The Ani lays their eggs in one communal nest.




  • The conclusion of the black colored birds this week are a lot more common. Seen throughout the year.



    BLACK NECKED STILT
    photo taken: Charlie's Pasture Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
    habitat range:





    BOAT TAILED GRACKLE
    photo taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
    habitat range:





    BLACK VULTURE
    photo taken: Goose Island, near Rockport, Texas
    habitat range:



    ...zoomin' in on the face of one only a mother could love! Seriously, this photo gives me the willies---




    TURKEY VULTURE
    photo taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge - Corpus Christi, Texas
    habitat range:





    Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
    Leaving a comment will be appreciated.





    17 comments:

    1. WOW! Great series, Anni! Love the Bronzed Cowbird and the Grooved-billed Ani is my favorite. Wonderful photos. Thanks for hosting! Have a happy weekend!

      ReplyDelete
    2. the bronzed cowbirds, anis and stilts are all birds i've never seen in person. very cool bunch!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Love your theme-- it was great seeing your Bronzed Cowbirds, and then you topped it off with a Groove-billed Ani, and such a great capture!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Well I can see why they call this bird a STILT!!!! What amazing legs! NOW, as to the Grackle and the Cowbird. I always thought Cowbirds were ugly, and Grackles perhaps a bit better. But you have this ability to show birds in their best light, even the ugly ones look pretty through your lens (except perhaps the vultures). That means I need YOU to take my picture, I would look like a beauty queen. That groove billed bird is a real find!!! Do you have a life list? How many birds are on it, how many have you seen?

      ReplyDelete
    5. That Ani is really something to see!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Interesting birds. I love the stilt. Those legs are incredibly long.

      ReplyDelete
    7. A fantastic post, great pics and very informative.
      All the best Gordon.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Thanks for sharing the Black Necked Stilt.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Great post. The Boat-tailed Grackle is a handsome bird. I posted a Grackle too.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I do love the vulture even though I am not its mother. He or she has beautiful eyes! I wish you a good week!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Black birds always seem to have such glossy plumage Anni. By the way should that really have been a Groove-billed Anni to make a perfect day.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Congrats on our Ani sighting!!! They all are fantastic birds!

      ReplyDelete
    13. nice set of birds. I did see some of them when I visited CostaRica. Love the portraits of the vultures. :)

      ReplyDelete
    14. Fantastic variety! I love the Ani! Never seen one. The grackle is quite handsome!

      ReplyDelete
    15. The one that give you the willies makes me feel that he is just plain shy. Great shots all.

      ReplyDelete

    Table of Contents