Texas Birding...


The first two images I share this week are of a bird that I am still not exactly sure I've id'd it correctly. They were photographed in the city park here in town, while it was bathing in the small running creek,  and the month was early May [2013]. It has a tanager's beak, and it's the color of an immature [or female] Scarlet Tanager. Any suggestions? I am pretty sure...but not 100% sure!! LOL


YOUNG SCARLET TANAGER
photos taken:  Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:





GREEN  HERON
photos taken:  Hans Suter Nature Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:


This next one, I almost walked right on by without seeing it. If it hadn't flown out of the tall cat-tail/reed grass and darkened shadowed area, I truly would have missed it entirely. It's quite blurred, for I had to quickly press the shutter button before it disappeared!!

LEAST BITTERN
photo taken:  Hans Suter Nature Reserve - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range: 
TRIVIA: John James Audubon noted that a young captive Least Bittern was able to walk with ease between two books standing 1.5 inches (4 cm) apart. When dead, the bird's body measured 2.25 inches (5.7 cm) across, indicating that it could compress its breadth to an extraordinary degree.


EURASIAN COLLARED DOVE
photo taken:  Marine Science Institute - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range:



WHITE MORPH STAGE [Reddish Egret]
photo taken: Charlie's Pasture Reserve - Mustang Island, Texas
Habitat Range:



BLACK TERN
photo taken:  Gulf of Mexico Beach - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range:
TRIVIA: The Black Tern is very social. It breeds in loose colonies and usually forages, roosts,and migrates in flocks of a few to more than 100 birds, occasionally up to tens of thousands.



WOOD STORK
photo taken: Tule Lake - Outskirts of Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range:




PS...this week I finished another pencil sketch [and added some color]...of an American Redstart.





Add Your Link Here. Please, use only the direct url to your birding post
Leaving a comment will be appreciated.








19 comments:

  1. That stork picture is so good that I really get an idea of how huge he is! The Bittern! We have seen one once, many many years ago. At least in my memory, which is not always on target. But for me, the star of the show is the adorable baby tanager bathing, he is SO cute!! I love your new header and background, and the way it is framed out, so fancy and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet baby! And I recognise the problem with catching the birds. I wish you a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Anni I look the yount bird in the first 2 shots adn also the Black Tern. Thanks for hoting this meme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great variety of interesting birds. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've been lucky enough to see a wood stork here one winter, but you've shown a lot of others i don't get. good luck with confirming the i.d. on the first.

    i really love your header. very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your new look. Again, you have photographed a nice group of beautiful birds. I love your drawing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collections of birds, Anni! All great sightings too! I would love to see a Black Tern! Great post and thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting set of piucs Anni, we occationally get Black Tern in the UK, wonder if they are the same family.
    All the best, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not seen the Wood Stork or the Black Tern...great captures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only seen a least bittern at a distance and what a treat it would be to see one close up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very varied collection today Anni. I think you must have been on the ball to get a picture of a Least Bittern, or any bittern in fact. Thanks for your hosting skills again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni, the Least Bittern is one difficult bird to capture in the camera. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extremely nice shots here!!! You found the Least Bittern!!!! Another secretive little fellow next to the Montezuma Quail and Flammulated Owl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. An amazing collection of birds Anni. Wonderful photos and information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That picture of the stork is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Anni! I had a few immature Tanagers around my property earlier this season, but I only hear them now since they've matured :) Mine weren't nearly as fluffy as your shots! Love your sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice assortment of birds again, Anni. Great catch of that bittern in flight, and the Reddish Egret is gorgeous. I liked your redstart! Sorry I was slow getting back but have been traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely collection of birds!
    Greetings from, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents