Oh Solo Mio...


The birds I share today, each were spotted all by themselves at various birding outlets. Only one, in the group of six I photographed at different times, was vocal. And that was the Green Jay. The Green Jays are experts at mimicking other bird species. This one on this particular day was flying from tree to tree and sounded like a hawk. Ironically, Bud and I were on the observation deck at Hazel Bazemore Park where the Fall Hawk Migration is at its peak from this month to early November!! The Solitary Sandpiper tried to keep itself very secluded in the high grassy area near the small pond, but its white breast/belly loomed up a bit too brightly for me not to notice. The Kiskadee flew right in front of me and landed on the trickling fountain foundation. The Plover was too busy scavenging the shore to even notice me. The Eastern Kingbird was perched atop a tree as I drove by so I had to back up and focus on it before any traffic came up behind me [not to worry, I wasn't impeding the flow of the traffic, it WAS a residential area] and lastly, the Couch's Kingbird flitted from one tree to the next, and landed where I could zoom in.


GREAT KISKADEE and WILSON'S PLOVER

photos taken: Blucher Park [kiskadee] - Hans Suter Refuge [plover] -- Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range: Great Kiskadee and Wilson's Plover



SOLITARY SANDPIPER and EASTERN KINGBIRD
photos taken: Paradise Pond [sandpiper] - Packaery Channel [kingbird] -- Port Aransas, and Padre Island, Texas
Habitat Range: Solitary Sandpiper and Eastern Kingbird




COUCH'S KINGBIRD
[corrected = GREAT CRESTED Flycatcher]
photos taken: Blucher Park [kingbird] -- Calallen, Texas and Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range: Couch's Kingbird [corrected to GREAT CRESTED Flycatcher]











39 comments:

  1. i got to see a solitary sandpiper here just recently! very excited to see a new species. except for the kingbird, i've not seen any of these others in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those solitary pipers are quite dazzling aren't they?

      Delete
  2. Great post Ani!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy seeing the Kiskadee, as I have never seen one, and rarely even hear of them! But the sandpiper is really my favorite here today! I suppose they are common, but not to me, as I have never been to a beach in my whole adult life. I LOVE the long beak and legs!! The green jay sounds like the personality of the blue jays here, and he has the same silhouette. The jays are bossy and noisy, but can make many tricky sounds. Once,I saw one take a worm away from a bird just as big as he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ginny, the Kiskadee is a favorite of mine....their song is unmistakable too, it's actually "kiss-s-s-s-ka-dee". Very melodic too. As for the Green Jay and the Blue Jay, I think the Green Jay is a bit more bulky in build. Anyway, the blue jays that I remember in Colorado are quite a bit slimmer.

      Delete
  4. HI Anni Another great post with birds that I have never seen. thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you Margaret for linking up. You shared some good info on the turnstones this week.

      Delete
  5. Hello Anni, a lovely selection you have here. I am sitting here at the airport waiting for our friends to get through customs and have been checking out blogs while I wait. Glad I popped in and saw these lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh I bet you'll be happy to see your friends!!! Enjoy the company.

      Delete
  6. Wow to you too Anni with the sandpiper shot especially. Two new birds for me too with Couch's Kingbird and a Green Jay. Sorry I haven't been around for a week or two but as you see I was in Greece. Thanks for the usual hosting skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda thought you may be on a birding trip....Greece at that...what a life of Birding!!! :o)

      Delete
  7. Nicely done!!! Those are incredible finds and many of those birds are new to me:) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris...nice to see you here. Loved your bat image. BTW, how is Tucson weather these days?

      Delete
  8. Some fabulous birds you have seen and photographed, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just goes to prove you can see more than raptors at a hawk watch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful variety of birds, Anni! I love the Green Jay! Your Kiskadee is pretty! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed it Eileen. Hope your 1st day of Autumn is treating you well.

      Delete
  11. Ani,now u can follow me at https://www.facebook.com/ashokism.ashok

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow-- the assortment seems more appropriate for the Rio Grande Valley-- you really get some great birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area, and primarily Corpus Christi has been given the distinction/title of "Birdiest City in America" for 10 years straight now. :o)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. ...thanks!!!! Glad you stopped by for a visit.

      Delete
  14. The markings on the kiskadee (never heard of this one) and sandpiper are so beautiful. Gorgeous series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks a lot Anni, for you comment on my "paradise birds" post.I thought my photos of the carved birds would be a gain for all you professional bird watchers and photographers.
    Most of the birds you shot with your camera are unknown / not domestic in Central Europe. So it's a pleasure to cast a glance on your flying gems... ;-)
    Regards from Germany,
    Uwe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. a lovely bunch! Would not mind having them around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...thanks Nora. I especially loved your Chinese Pheasant image.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Neat photos Anni and I really like your imaginative header.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shots- I love the kiskadee- never seen before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're one of my favorite birds to see around the area...not only the colors but their 'call' is so much like there name...."kisssss ka DEE"

      Delete
  20. Hi Anni, Sorry I haven't been around much and I must apologize to all the bloggers for not having time to visit their blogs either. I've been so busy with the Wildlife Conservation Stamp and other matters I haven't written many posts either.

    This is a great collection of solo birds you have here. I would love to see a Solitary Sandpiper and a Kiskadee! I spotted my first Eastern Kingbird here in California just a few weeks ago too! A rare bird in this part of the country.

    I think your Couch's Kingbird is a Great Crested Flycatcher. I think this because of the cinnamon color in the wings and tail and the fact that the tail is straight across, not notched like the Kingbird. The Great Crested Flycatcher also has strong contrasting white edges on its tertial feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering about this ID....thanks for clarifying the details of the tail feather formation...that helps immensely. I'll be sure to remember that fact and go back and edit.

      Delete

Table of Contents