I always enjoy watching [and sometimes luckily] recording some comical maneuvers to us humans...the antics of the wild birds in our area. Other times it's just the beauty I like to capture, their stature of pride, their colors, their eye rings, etc. And to be honest, most times when a bird or a flock is high above, in flight, I most oftentimes forget to photograph; just watching in awe of nature. Yet sometimes, when we're out and about on a not so good day for photographing birds, I still tend to bring the camera out and hit the shutter button. On one occasion recently it was just that kinda day. And Murphy's Law did show its face...you know, if something will go wrong it will...or however it goes. Anyway, the 'wrong' was: Dark and Dreary, and on top of it...an elusive wader!!... it was a humid, cloudy day with no good lighting for taking pictures. But, we still drove to Calallen, Texas [about 15 - 20 miles from home] to see if any migrating hawks would be showing up at the Bazemore Hawk Watch. It began drizzling rain lightly, and we stood out on the watch tower for a while, but nothing showed up in the sky. Besides it was wet!! We hopped back in the car and drove around the park's drive, seeing a few flycatchers and swallows and mottled ducks, along with a couple of snowy egrets and stilts. But back along the bank of the pond I spied a dark ibis. I wasn't sure if it was an immature or a glossy. Now a Glossy Ibis isn't supposed to be in this area of the USA, but I was hoping. Even tho the day was dark, we stopped and I got out and walked back to the area I had seen it...I was already soaked from the rain, what harm will a bit more rain do? Through the binoculars I could see it wasn't an immature white ibis, nor a Glossy Ibis... but a WHITE FACED IBIS!!! The colors showed up in the field glasses, I was excited as they are reportedly close to extinction in the state of Texas. The white faced ibis are remarkably similar to the Glossy Ibis of the Florida area....with the bronze-wine color with a bit of iridescent green in feather markings...the only difference between the two is the face. During breeding season the White Faced Ibis has a light colored 'face' ---mostly around its eyes, while the Glossy Ibis doesn't. The two best photos I got shows a bit of the lighter colored markings around its face...still, I was elated to have spotted one here in the Coastal Bend even if the daylight wasn't that good - maybe someday on a sunny day, I can find another opportunity.
ANHINGA and WILLETT [or willet -I've seen it spelled with one 't' sometimes]
photos taken: Oso Bay [Hans Suter Refuge] - Corpus Christi, Texas
BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
photo taken: Lakeview Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range: Black Bellied Whistling Duck
IMMATURE AMERICAN COOT
photos taken: Leonabelle Wildlife Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range: American Coot
REDDISH EGRET
photo taken: Indian Point Park - Portland, Texas
Habitat Range: Reddish Egret
WHITE FACED IBIS
photos taken: Hazel Bazemore Park - Calallen, Texas
Habitat Range: White Faced Ibis


...and while Bud and I were out birding over the weekend past, we spotted ANOTHER RARE bird!! According to the sighting map of Texas, only a dozen or so sightings have been confirmed since records have been charted, and one confirmed nesting in Arizona!! This bird, tho its cousins are often spotted, this bird rarely comes north of Old Mexico's mountains/South American forests. My list of birds in Texas [I have five charts going where I keep records of my sightings], this particular bird I photographed has "R" across the tablet of months...meaning RARE. I will share a couple of photos next week, so, stay tuned....






Beautiful birds.
ReplyDelete,,,thanks Rajesh...I really found your tailor bird interesting.
DeleteYour first sentences sound like a day birding in dreary old rain sodden UK Anni. But that old old word "persistence" comes through and you go out and find a rarer, and that's what I call proper birding.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear (and see) what the next biggie is. Nice work Anni (and the unseen Bud).
...there for a while, it probably WAS a bit like England --weather-wise. I just wish it would have been a better day for photographing tho!! [not that I am complaining about rain...we need it so badly!!]
DeleteBeautiful birds. I love the reddish brown on the egret.
ReplyDelete...me too Gunilla...a dramatic contrast with the charcoal grey.
DeleteI love seeing birds from other areas...great post...I don't think I have participated in this meme before..Michelle
ReplyDeleteMichelle!!! I'm glad to know you took time to share your birding with us!!
Deletethe reddish egret is gorgeous! laughed at the cute whistler. :)
ReplyDelete,,,,Y'know I love me some whistlers!!!
DeleteWell, I love the reddish egret, I have never seen one. It is huge and impressive. and the duck's ballet, you caught him at just the perfect moment!!! But the white faced ibis, what a wonderful find!!!! Most people will never see such a thing! i can't wait ti see what is next!!!! You make MY birdwatching look so boring! But then you DO live in Texas, a birdwatcher's paradise.
ReplyDeleteTexas is a great state for birding to be sure. But Ginny, I think your geese images are spectacular this weekend!!
DeleteYou see and capture images of some wonderful birds many thanks for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteSorry I haven't been by for a while.
Happy to have you return to share some of your birds with us Andrew!!
DeleteCongrats on your cool sighting, Anni! The White faced Ibis is a great bird. I love the Reddish Egret and the Whistling duck also. Wonderful post, thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteOne down....and hopefully a lot more in due time!!!
DeleteGreat image series you show. I love the last picture of the reddish egret :) Hanne Bente
ReplyDelete...they ARE a pretty bird for sure!!
Deletere: the young bunting male, that's the first one i've seen sprout a cheek patch before the rest of his undercarriage starts brightening up, too. but it sure stood out. :)
ReplyDelete...well, with your post, I sure did learn something new. And I thank you again.
DeleteLove the birds you share. Thanks. The Reddish Egret is outstanding.
ReplyDelete....thanks. Your linking and comments are always appreciated.
DeleteLovely selevtion of birds especially the brownish Egret. Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDelete...glad to know you enjoyed the photos this week Margaret!!
DeleteI just submitted my link to your blog, please do tell me if by any means it doesn't fit for submission. Regards :)
ReplyDeleteI think it is a perfect post for the meme Swati.
DeleteI think the whistling duck had been to a ballett class. :)
ReplyDelete...giggles....I agree
DeleteThat ibis was a nice find! You really have some great birding spots nearby!
ReplyDeleteI just wish it was a better day for photography tho!! Yep, we do have a lot of good places to go birding...and not too far to drive to most. Which I like...so I can spend more time outdoors trekking the pathways. :o)
Delete