As we were walking the raised boardwalk out to Oso Bay, a congregation of egrets and herons flew into the wet field to our right side. While watching the birds, a few more flew in to join them as a trio of common grackles called to get our attention off our left shoulders. In a short time a Little Blue Heron made its way into the crowd of waders. Most times, when we're out birding around the Bay Area, the Little Blue Herons are such a far distance or all too well hidden in the foliage on the small islands in the water, the camera doesn't pick up the colors and features clearly enough. This day, I was in luck!!
[tho quite similar in coloration to the Reddish Egret, the Little Blue Heron is darker all over and lacks the 'longer-feathery' plumage]
GRACKLES - SNOWY EGRETS - LITTLE BLUE HERON [also one in White Morph] - COMMON EGRETS
[Black Necked Stilt and a pair of Mottled Ducks]
photos taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Refuge [Oso Bay] - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Ranges: Little Blue Heron - Snowy Egret - Common Egret - Grackles - Black Necked Stilts - Mottled Ducks - Cattle Egret
TRIVIA [Snowy Egret]: In 1886, plumes were valued at $32 per ounce, which was twice the price of gold at the time. They were hunted nearly to extinction before laws were passed to protect them.
Common Grackle: The eyes of the juvenile grackle are brown up until October when they change to light yellow.
(note: InLinks has now changed the format in the admin section of creating the javascript needed for the linking process...I hope I did it correctly. LOL Just when I was getting the 'hang of it all' beforehand. Go Figure)








I meant to compliment you on your new photo presentation format. Nice shots of all the 'look-alike" white herons. (Actually "Common Egret" is a non-standard name fo the Great Egret, which I grew up calling the "American Egret." I think you meant to say "Cattle Egrets")
ReplyDelete...thanks Ken...changed it. I shoulda known, actually with the shorter body and length of beak!!! And thanks for the compliment.
Deletei, too, like the blocked photo presentation. would love to see that little blue. the grackles make a nice shot!
ReplyDelete....thanks...glad you both like the presentation format!!
DeleteBeautiful shots of the egrets!
ReplyDelete...thanks Gunilla!!
DeleteIt's good to see those mixed white egrets. here we get just the Little = Snowy Egret, the Cattle Egret yet to get established. Good to hear you're a "serious" birder Anni. Not too serious now, people might think us a bit strange - as if!
ReplyDelete...after all these years on the planet and birding would make me strange?!!! I beg to differ, they've ALWAYS thought I am a bit strange. LOL
DeleteThanks Phil.
Hi Anni Love the Egrets and Herons. They are so elegant. Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDelete...indeed they are, I agree Margaret.
Deletebeautiful shots of the different herons. And egret.
ReplyDeleteRe my shot, No, the grey ones are Grey Herons not Egrets.
Oh...okay, I guess I didn't read your post well enough. They're sure pretty!
DeleteI love the egrets and the herons. They are all beautiful!! Lovely photos, thanks for hosting. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteThey're majestic birds...and a great photo subject, don't you think?
DeleteHave a great weekend yourself, Eileen...hope you find somewhere where the government hasn't messed up your plans.
Love the Grackles! Beautiful photos, Anni.
ReplyDelete...thanks Pat!
DeleteThat's amazing that egret plumes were once worth more than gold! They are such lovely birds that I'm glad hunters have not killed them all off.
ReplyDelete...boggles the mind, doesn't it? Just for fashion at that!!! And I'm glad to read that they're protected now.
DeleteThanks for sharing the egrets.
ReplyDelete...thank YOU for linking up this week.
DeleteNice new lay-out of your blog!
ReplyDeleteAnd, a great serie of photos of these egrets!
...thanks Hans!!
DeleteBeautiful are the photos!
ReplyDelete