This week, I'm only showing one bird species since I'm gonna fill you in on the outing with a longer, more wordy, commentary than normal...
...I'm gonna start right off with the rare sighting!! Now, it may not be 'rare' to you, but it sure was to me!!! Walking the area that is usually quite 'back-woodsy' with a lot of high grasses and dense woods, this birding area is called Pollywog Ponds. Through the gate the pathway begins with a short incline of open area with a drainage pit from interstate highway run-off to the left and a small meandering creek on the right. The further you walk [no vehicles allowed] you then enter a dense wood. This area is where the bird calls and birds flitting from one tree to another begins!! Spring and early Fall are the best times to see/spot migrants; of course. About a half mile inward into the dense thicket the path splits into a three-way direction...off to the right, a bridge that crosses the creek and heads into a small outcropping of trees only to open into an open field. Off to the left, more dense growth of grasses and trees...straight on you walk and come upon an ancient [reminds me to stay clear] birding blind that faces into a swampy area---I don't go into it 'cause I can just 'hear' the copperhead and water moccasins beckoning me to enter and become their target! Nope...nope, not gonna go there !!! I walk on, straight ahead to the ponds!! After you walk beyond the swampy area ---which always reminds me of the Louisiana swamps except for the lack of bald cypress trees....you then come to two large ponds. Of course still to the right side of the path, the creek continues. Usually the area is quite active with coots, ducks, snakes, cat birds in season, cardinals, flycatchers, egrets, herons, --typical year 'round birds. During migration, a whole slew of different birds arrive for a short time along their south/north trek. Once you get beyond the last of the two large ponds, the path curves to the left to circle and head around to merge into the path heading back to where the cars have to park before entering. But wait....as the the path begins to circle the last of the ponds, straight ahead the Nueces River is in view. At this point, the river is widening to empty into the Corpus Christi Bay [North Shore] a few miles downstream.
As we had already turned to the left at the end of the path around the ponds, the river was on our right side, the last pond was on the left. Bud and I had watched a Green Heron fly in and land in an outcropping of fallen wood along the bank. A Tri-colored Heron was sunning and patiently awaiting its breakfast to show, also along the bank of the pond. Quite a few flycatchers followed us along the path. But as we turned left heading away from the river and walk along the opposite side of the pond, some bird action caught my eye...I looked over into the dense growth of oak, cottonwood and ash trees to finally spot where the bird landed. I whispered to Bud that this was one I don't think we've seen before. And with my luck, by the time I get my binoculars down, and bring my camera up to view through the viewfinder, most times...the bird has flown off. Not this time. And I didn't take time to really focus, nor did I take time to use my binoculars...I was afraid it would fly away before being able to see it clearly and photograph it after binocular use. I just clicked the shutter twice in hopes by the time I got home I could see what it was and ID it. It flew off as I released the shutter the 2nd time, to not be seen again. [there is an egret on the bank!]Now that you have a bit of 'background' of the area...here goes. As I stated last week, this particular bird, [tho its cousins: the belted and nearly close in markings (except for much larger size)...the ringed - are seen a bit more frequently in the Rio Grand Valley of Texas which equals to about a 3 hour drive from Corpus Christi]; from what I've read/researched, this kingfisher species I spotted is listed as RARE throughout the 12 months of the year on my birding record chart. It has not been recorded anywhere else in the United States except for one confirmed sighting in Arizona and only a handful of recorded/confirmed sightings in Southern Texas. Mainly because their habitat is keeping farther south in Old Mexico's mountains and down into South America. I share with you the:


GREEN KINGFISHER
General description...
The Green Kingfisher is a small kingfisher found in Arizona, Texas, and Mexico and South America. This bird is often hard to spot due to the fact that when it is hunting it perches close to the water when it is quiet. In order to hunt, this bird perches close to the water in a secluded and quiet area and when it spots prey, the Green Kingfisher catches it in a dive. Unlike larger kingfishers, this bird does not hover over the water, but instead perches. The Green Kingfisher nests in burrows in the ground. Populations of Green Kingfishers are put in danger by water pollution and habitat loss.
Female appearance...Similar to male, but without the brown chest. The chest of the female Green Kingfisher is gray. The female also does not have a crest like the male does.
Flight pattern...Direct.
Breeding habits...Monogamous.
Calls or song...tick tick or cheep
Population and distribution...Uncommon to rare. May have declined due to loss of habitat.
Nesting habits...The Green Kingfisher nests in burrows and lays 3-6 white eggs.
information courtesy of Birding Birds dot com
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds - Calallen/Corpus Christi, Texas [area]
Habitat Range: Green Kingfisher


GREEN KINGFISHER
General description...
The Green Kingfisher is a small kingfisher found in Arizona, Texas, and Mexico and South America. This bird is often hard to spot due to the fact that when it is hunting it perches close to the water when it is quiet. In order to hunt, this bird perches close to the water in a secluded and quiet area and when it spots prey, the Green Kingfisher catches it in a dive. Unlike larger kingfishers, this bird does not hover over the water, but instead perches. The Green Kingfisher nests in burrows in the ground. Populations of Green Kingfishers are put in danger by water pollution and habitat loss.Female appearance...Similar to male, but without the brown chest. The chest of the female Green Kingfisher is gray. The female also does not have a crest like the male does.
Flight pattern...Direct.
Breeding habits...Monogamous.
Calls or song...tick tick or cheep
Population and distribution...Uncommon to rare. May have declined due to loss of habitat.
Nesting habits...The Green Kingfisher nests in burrows and lays 3-6 white eggs.
information courtesy of Birding Birds dot com
photos taken: Pollywog Ponds - Calallen/Corpus Christi, Texas [area]
Habitat Range: Green Kingfisher
We have them but not like yours so pretty..
ReplyDeleteOurs are brown unless it was the female we see..
I think in Canada, your country, there is the Belted Kingfisher?!! This is the Green Kingfisher, only found in extreme southern Texas and perhaps Arizona....but mostly found in Old Mexico and farther south.
DeleteTotally cool You got really good shots of the kingfisher. His head is almost bigger than his body. And a green heron, a totally awesome birding day! Finally the mystery is solved and I can see your rare bird! We have only seen a kingfisher on one occasion, but we got to watch him fish. He was a different one than this, though.
ReplyDeleteHi Ginny. Oh after I opened my SD card program to read the images of this off the camera, I read quite a lot about them. Their feet are extremely tiny...they usually perch...rarely does anyone see 'em walking...the weight & size difference between their body and their feet, the are a bit clumsy I guess. At least that's what I gather from my research. But they're expert at catching fish. Guess that's the reason for the name. :o)
DeleteTOTALLY cool!!! beautiful little guy!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it? I think so too. :o) That day, I was living right...at least at the right spot at the right time!! I'm in awe of this little beauty.
DeleteAnni, the Green Kingfisher is an awesome bird. Great sighting and congrats. I have seen them in Costa Rica, they were shy just like the kingfisher here. Great shots! Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!
ReplyDelete....cool. And I didn't have to travel far to find one. Yay! Have a great weekend yourself Eileen!
DeleteHI Anni Beautiful Green Kingfisher. Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDelete...thanks Margaret, and thank YOU for linking up.
DeleteThat story was straight from Hitchcock Anni. The suspense was killing me, but what a superb ending to the story and a wonderful find you had. Great stuff.
ReplyDeleteI knew I'd be wordy on this post; I was just so excited about seeing this rare one. :o) Glad you enjoyed my long recitation, and it's nice to know you enjoyed it all.
DeleteVery exciting! WOW! A green kingfisher. Someday I'll have to try birding in Texas.
ReplyDeleteCool....come on down!!! And we'll go birding together sometime.
DeleteCongratulations on the rare sighting of this beautiful bird! Polliwog Ponds looks like a great area for birding (minus the venomous snakes}.
ReplyDelete...there are warning signs along the paths. I know I wouldn't want to see one.
DeleteCongrats on your awesome sighting!
ReplyDelete...thanks Gunilla.
DeleteWow! Will have to follow Horace's advice to see this splendid bird.
ReplyDelete....they're so elusive. Hope you can find one sometime.
Deletecongrats to see the beautiful Green Kingfisher. Glad to see you managed to get some shots of it too. If memory don´t trick me I think I had a glimps of this one wen I visited CostaRica. :)
ReplyDeleteI bet there ARE G. Kingfishers there!
DeleteJust stopped in to check out your birding. Very interesting and I like the bird quote at the top.
ReplyDelete...glad to have you stop by and visit Paula!!!
DeleteWow..those are beautiful shots of the green kingfisher! I have never seen one..
ReplyDelete...glad you enjoyed the photos Icy!!!
ReplyDelete