If y'all once in a while stop by my personal blog you probably have read about the city police a couple weeks ago, on Christmas Day, thinking Bud and I may have been terrorists armed with our binoculars and camera along the Shipping Channel in our city. The post: A Funny Thing Happened in Search for a Booby. Well, we both were actually still looking for the reported Brown Booby, spotted by several other birders, that was seen perching on an abandoned barge near the ships' turn-around. We gave up without seeing the Booby, but I did experiment a little with the panoramic feature on my camera. Where we pulled off, along the back side of the oil refineries and docking, we spotted literally a hundred or more cormorants along the channel bank, and a few white pelicans. A huge oil tanker was blocking the barge view where we first stopped, and the cormorants flew off into the wild blue yonder...
After the police realized we were birders, and leaving with a "Merry Christmas" salutation, we lingered in hopes of viewing the Brown Booby, but to no avail. We hopped in the car, drove over, and behind, the channel to the highway heading toward Portland, Texas and Indian Point Park. There, as we walked along the biking/hiking trail and viewing the tidal basin ponds along the way, we first spotted a couple of Snowy Egrets and dozens of American Avocets.
Then, as we walked further...way in the distance, very near to the shore waters of the North Bay I spotted a dozen or more winter visitors to our area---the beautiful Bufflehead Ducks!! Sadly, they were too far off, and the sky was overcast. Not only that, but the ducks were way too close to the grassy banks that separate the fresh water ponds and the sea water...being quite shady, and the photo turn-out seemed too dark. So, really not able to get the beautiful colors of the male Bufflehead. :o( Some day I will tho!!!
CORMORANTS & WHITE PELICANS [1st photo]
CORMORANTS IN FLIGHT [2nd photo]
SNOWY EGRETS & AMERICAN AVOCETS [3rd photo]
BUFFLEHEAD DUCKS [4th & 5th photo]
Photos taken: Corpus Christi Port Ship Channel - Corpus Christi, Texas and Indian Point Park - Portland, Texas
Habitat Range: Bufflehead Duck, Snowy Egret, American Avocet, White Pelican, Cormorant
BUFFLEHEAD DUCK TRIVIA:
Bufflehead fossils from the late Pleistocene (about 500,000 years ago) have been found in Alaska, California, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Texas, and Washington. One California fossil that resembles a modern Bufflehead dates to the late Pliocene, two million years ago.
The Bufflehead’s breeding range is limited by the distribution of Northern Flickers, which are their main source of nesting cavities
Bufflehead are North America’s smallest diving duck.
...now, if you'd like, share some of your birding experiences & photos:





glad they're keeping watch on the channel and oil refineries, etc. :)
ReplyDeleteHI Anni THat was a good selection of birds Bud adn yourself saw.
ReplyDeleteLovely photos ... so many different birds. We have Buffleheads up here now and then. Loved the egrets and avocets.
ReplyDeleteLove all these birds on the move. The snowy egrets are especially beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a Christmas day tale that is Annie - the wild things that happen while birding.
ReplyDeleteLovely series of birds you captured on this trek.
Thanks for hosting The Bird D'pot Annie.
Happy New Year to you and Bud.
Beautiful photos and a Happy New Year to you.
ReplyDeleteWell, that was totally new news to me that Buffleheads nest in holes made by Northern Flickers!
ReplyDeleteHa! Almost funny to think of you as a terrorist. ;))
Anni, what a great outing. Sorry about missing the Brown Booby. The Buffleheads are pretty and I love the egrets with the avocets. You saw a wonderful variety of birds. Thanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteI'm still laughing about your encounter with the police! I love the shot of the avocets and egrets. Sigh.....I have to put a big birding photo trip on my bucket list that is all there is to it!
ReplyDeleteI love the photo of the avocets and the egrets. Have a great Sunday!
ReplyDeleteA lovely post, so many great details!
ReplyDeleteShame bout the light on those Buffleheads Anni but sometimes (most times for me) the birds and the elements don't come together. Anyway those egrets and avocets sure made up for a little diappointment.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the hosting in 2014 - we all depend on you.
I'll bet you don't look anything like a terrorist!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAnni, thanks for sharing the bufflehead trivia. Nice panoramas.
ReplyDeleteOMGosh, I am going to Madisonville in just a few minutes to check out a brown booby that has been at pier #2 for a couple weeks. He was spotted again yesterday. Also, a long-tailed duck was seen there, too. So cool that you saw the buffleheads; I've been looking high and low for them myself. Lots of great sightings, Anni! I'll be by tomorrow to link up my hooded mergansers. Have a great day!!
ReplyDeleteLots of shorebirds! I love the pelicans. Thanks for hosting Anni!
ReplyDeletelove the image with the egrets and acocets. It is a beautiful image and beautiful birds.
ReplyDeleteHope your New Year was great. :)
That shot of the egrets is just beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAlways love your info and photos! Thanks for hosting. :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful panoramas, especially the one of the avocets and egrets.
ReplyDeleteThat collection of Avocets is amazing! I'd love to see just one down here. Nice panoramic views. I just learned how to do them on my new iPhone.
ReplyDelete