AT least the first weekend of 2014... we didn't have such dreary dark chilly days, we had a break in the clouds! A whole 'nother scenario the 2nd week in January tho. LOL Early one morning, after seeing the clear sky, we drove to a nearby city park. After there, we drove to a favorite 'watering hole' [Oso Bay], then along the coast on the barrier islands. There remained a chill in the wind, but such a beautiful day. Here are some of the birds we saw...
MALE NORTHERN CARDINAL & BLACK SKIMMERS in FLIGHT
Photos taken Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas [Cardinal] Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas [Black Skimmers]
Habitat Range: Cardinal & Black Skimmers
A PANORAMIC VIEW of BLACK SKIMMERS [the bright sun shone through their beaks making them 'glow']
Photo taken: Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas
Habitat Range: Black Skimmers
SAVANNAH SPARROW & DUNLINS [I believe, not sure] -correction by Phil...Dowitcher!!
Photos taken: Charlies Pasture South - Mustang Island, Port Arnasas, Texas [Sparrow] Oso Bay - Corpus Christi, Texas [Dunlin]
Habitat Range: Savannah Sparrow & Dunlin
YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER with 'LANDING GEAR COMING DOWN'
Photos taken: Leonabelle Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range: Yellow Rumped Warbler
YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER 'touchdown'
Photo taken: Leonabelle Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range: Yellow Rumped Warbler
...and keeping track of the birds spotted [and most photographed] over the CBC [December 15 - January 8], this is a graphic record of my bird 'count'. Tho, as noted on the list, I gave up totaling a specific species because of the vast amounts seen at one time in some areas!!
For the new year, I thought I'd have a change of pace and have the thumbnail linking enabled. [I hope it'll work properly!! lol] If y'all would prefer just name links only, let me know. Your preferences and input are vital. Now, share your birding experiences:









Those skimmer bills are electrifying! We've had sour weather here too, but at least it has not been cold-- just dreary and rainy. Looks so much nicer today! Also, I like the thumbnails.
ReplyDeleteWo, those skimmer beaks sure do stand out. Love the cardinal, our favourite bird and a frequent visitor all year to our feeders.
ReplyDeleteWonderful images of birds. It is fun to watch them.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni Love the shots of the skimmers. You Dunlin must be different looking to the UK ones.
ReplyDeleteHello, Anni! What a great variety of birds. The Black Skimmers are one of my favorites. And the Savannah and YWR are both cuties. Great photos, thanks for hosting. Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteWonderful! It looks like the skimmers beaks are on fire. I like the thumbnails.
ReplyDeletethe skimmers are very cool. will link tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteI really like the Black Skimmers.
ReplyDeleteBlack skimmers are new to me. I love their orange beaks!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great variety! Love the Black Skimmers!
ReplyDeleteNIce shots, Anni! I like the thumbnails.
ReplyDeleteI wish we had skimmers here anni - so exotic. And to have a whole raft of them? Wonderful.Check out your Dunlin - I think they are dowitchers, SB maybe.
ReplyDeleteLove the beaks on the skimmers! Thanks for hosting. :)
ReplyDeleteLucky you! I have never seen a skimmer. So pretty and so many of them! Personally, I prefer the thumbnail links rather than just a link. The photo entices me to visit others more. Thanks for doing this. I will link up next week. :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful collection of pictures and beautiful birds
ReplyDeleteGreetings
I'm digging those skimmers!
ReplyDeletethe skimmers is still on my wish list. Wonder if I will ever see them?
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a wonderful day with some great birds to keep you company! We are both very fortunate to live in mild climates not too far from the Gulf of Mexico!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week, Anni!
That is an impressive list of birds you've seen this holiday season! Hope 2014 brings you lots of new and old favorites to view!
ReplyDeleteGreat birds shots, I love Black Skimmers, superb.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your sweet comment on my post today. The Larry light is super bright LED and uses batteries. We have one and we bought one for my brother, Larry!!! It is small enough for a pocket or your handbag and comes in handy. Our home is pale yellow on the exterior, so we thought the pink/yellow rose would be pretty - we've had the red knockout rose and loved them at our last home.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a lovely afternoon. So nice to have met you through blogging. Mildred