How Much Wood Could a Woodpecker Peck


...if a woodpecker could peck wood?

Several times Bud and I frequent an area where recently the Texas Bird Sighting posts have noted a couple of woodpeckers that have been spotted. We drive there, only to come up empty handed so to speak! No woodpeckers for the two of us...even when the chalkboard at the kiosk shows they've been spotted the day before or even a few hours earlier than when we arrive on the very day; they're again listed. Well recently, after we made our first stop at one of our favorite areas, we drove to the pond and wooded area where the TxBS postings alerted us the woodpeckers were still in the vicinity. Bud and I spotted catbirds, yellow rumped warblers, one lone grackle, and a trio of turkey vultures in a dead tree. The power lines were loaded with starlings singing their song. At the end of the observation deck, I turned and spotted a Northern Flicker [Red Shafted - defining ID mark is the Red Mustache on the male] very well hidden in the deep, dark, brush below the wooden planks. I waited. Patiently, I thought. After about 10 minutes of the flicker not coming into view of my camera lens, I gave up. I guess that's my vice, or bad habit, of my birding agendas...I have very little patience like some who sit with the scopes for a good part of the day; not moving from their spot. Bud heard a Cardinal about the time I turned to leave, and he spotted it high in the tree branch. While he was watching the Cardinal, he spotted "my" Flicker!! Altho it didn't cooperate with me much...it did come into view on a power pole!! Naturally, he was on the shaded side of the pole. Leaving the power pole it flew to a nearby tree. Still, it remained mostly hidden by branches or shadows. But, I snapped some photos of it anyway.




NORTHERN FLICKER [Red Shafted]
Photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas [Mustang Island]
Habitat Range: Flicker


While viewing this red-shafted woodpecker through the lens and binoculars, two other noted woodpeckers came out in the open!! The beautiful, small, Downy Woodpecker and smaller Ladderbacked Woodpecker [I hope I have the correct ID thanks to Wally].  They're habitat boundary shows anyone that they don't come this far south into Texas very often; mostly unseen but here none the less.  Of course, rarities happen in the life of birds/birding.  I was happy to see these, especially because of the fact they're quite elusive in my part of Texas. These particular woodpeckers were a bit more to a show off! Of which I was pretty darned pleased to be able to get some poses.




DOWNY WOODPECKER [smaller beak] & LADDERBACKED WOODPECKER
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas [Mustang Island]




TRIVIA:

According to Corn.ell Lab, "As with all woodpeckers...Woodpeckers don’t sing songs, but they drum loudly against pieces of wood or metal to achieve the same effect". People sometimes think this drumming is part of the birds’ feeding habits, but it isn’t. In fact, feeding birds make surprisingly little noise even when they’re digging vigorously into wood.

Thing is, I've heard the golden fronted woodpeckers 'sing'!! Not like Mockingbirds of course, but I can hear their calling throughout the neighborhood. Guess the LAB doesn't consider it a song per sé.

Downy Woodpeckers have been discovered nesting inside the walls of buildings.



Now, share your birding experiences: [ps... -Feb 9- is my birthday, I may be late in paying y'all visits to those who leave comments and link up since I won't be home much this weekend!!! Happy weekend to everyone...and get out and enjoy those birds!!!]







17 comments:

  1. Hello Anne!!What a lovely bird the Woodpecker is!!Wonderful pictures!Great captures!!
    I really enjoyed your post!Thank you for hosting my post!Wish you a happy weekend!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni, great shots of the flicker and the woodies. They are all some of my favorite birds to see. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed these photos! We see a lot of Downy woodpeckers in our woods. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for the record and for all those who asked, No we didn't take a camel ride because I was too busy birding. Now there's a surprise.

    Don't you know, that's the trouble with those darned birds, they have wings and fly off as soon as birders arrive. Your flicker and downy shots are ace Anni, even allowing for the shady bits. Sun! That would be nice here in the UK right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots of both birds! I'd love some sunny days too. We've had a grey week and next week looks to be more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they definitely 'call' to one another. :) i was lucky enough to spot a red-shafted flicker here once. we usually see the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they are amazing birds. And they seem to be different all of them.

    Thanks for hosting the meeme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First,let me wish you a very Happy Birthday.I am only a few months behind you in age.I am glad you got to see these birds. We have the Yellow-shafted Flicker here in spring and summer.The Downy and Hairy Woodpecker are year round residents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You so much for giving me the chance to link to this wonderful blog. The woodpeckers pictures are awesome and I love woodpeckers.

    Also, many happy returns on the day :-). A Very Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool red-shafted! Happy Birthday Anni, Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni, Happy Birthday. All great people are born in February - George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, you and me. Great woodpecker collection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our red-bellieds make some sort of sound - I guess one wouldn't call it singing, but it definitely has a distinct set of notes announcing himself before we see him. Lucky you getting shots of the flicker.

    Hope you're having a great birthday! I will come back later in the week to link up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed your post, Anni! Happy Birthday to you!

    Flickers always look like they just stepped out of a barber/beauty salon - so neat looking.

    Love your Downy Woodpecker photographs. Those bills are so dainty!

    The two images to the left side of the Downy's, I believe, are of a Ladder-backed Woodpecker. Note the larger bill than the Downy, a distinct black face outline, a different head pattern, spotted sides and a barred back. The Downy has a "cleaner" looking underside and a white patch in the center of its back.

    So - looks like you had THREE woodpeckers!

    (Let me know if this doesn't seem correct. I'd be happy with any of them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,,thanks for the ID assistance Wally. Much appreciated.

      Delete
    2. I love woodpeckers and flickers... and am pretty happy that I can just tell the difference between the two ;>)...but I'm trying to learn the different woodpeckers. So much to learn, so. little time !

      Delete
  14. These are lovely, Anni! I live in a big city (Montreal) and I rarely get to see these birds, so thank you so much for sharing this beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents