It was a battle of wits; pecking order, or perhaps just to see which one was more worthy of wearing a 'crown'!!
...between A Yellow Crowned Night Heron and A Black Crowned Night Heron. Who won?----
If I were a bettin' gal, or in Las Vegas gambling on the outcome, I would've lost mucho bucks. I was sure the Black Crowned would win the pecking order, but nope....the Black Crowned backed off and went deeper in the reed grasses, leaving the Yellow Crowned Night Heron the victor. This time.
YELLOW CROWNED NIGHT HERON[left] & BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON[right]
Photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbill Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range: Yellow Crowned Night Heron - Black Crowned Night Heron
Photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbill Refuge - Port Aransas, Texas
Habitat Range: Yellow Crowned Night Heron - Black Crowned Night Heron
TRIVIA:
Yellow Crowned Night Herons: Both sexes help build the nest, which can be as high as 60 feet or so, away from the trunk on a horizontal limb, often hanging over water.
Black Crowned Night Herons: Young Black-crowned Night-Herons leave the nest at the age of 1 month but cannot fly until they are 6 weeks old. They move through the vegetation on foot, joining up in foraging flocks at night.
Now, share your birding experiences:




Hi Anni, very cool seeing both the Night Herons so close. They are both beautiful birds and always a treat to see.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots, thanks for hosting. Have a happy day!
I really enjoyed seeing both these birds and learning more about them! Thank you and enjoy your day.
ReplyDeleteHello Anni!!Such beautiful birds!!Great shots and captures!!Thank you for your visit and for hosting my post!
ReplyDeleteWish you a happy new month!
Dimi...
Beautiful series of images of the birds in action.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni Interesting post and great shots of the 2 Herons.
ReplyDeleteBoth are beautiful birds. Have a wonderful weekend!
ReplyDeletePretty awesome! I've never seen both in the same photos.
ReplyDeletethat's neat! i'd love to see a black-crowned some time.
ReplyDeleteGreat series - your photos are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteHow lucky to see these two together like that. So fun!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos of this sparring duo, both I look forward to seeing myself one day. I have linked also today Anni, happy to have a bird to share. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteQuite the confrontation!
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't much matter who won.I think you were the winner,with all these great shots.
ReplyDeleteThat just shows that size isn't everything Anni. Maybe one is a male the other a female and it's just a battle of the sexes not the species? Hey who cares it just great captures.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about the washing and ironing, I have Sue doing it right now.
Thanks for the hosting Anni. Lanzarote coming soon.
hiding in the weeds. neat dudes. hi there - hopped over from "Saturday's Critters". nice to meet ya. (i always forget that you have 2 blog, duh??!) hope you are having a good weekend!! ( :
ReplyDeletethese are just amazing!! i adore the long grasses as much as the birds!! beautiful images!!
ReplyDeleteGreat capture of this unusual pairing. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYes, fighting is also available in the animal world. Good pictures!
ReplyDeleteThanks 4 hosting this project.
I wish you a happy Evening and a great new week, Wieczora (◔‿◔)| My photoblog
I have never seen the black-crowned. How awesome to see the yellow and black at the same time and duking it out no less! Wonderful images!!
ReplyDeletehihi, love yoru images. :) Must have been great to be watching them.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that was a fun fight to watch! Great you caught the photos. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting!
Hey Anni,
ReplyDeletethanks for visit and commenting. Your ask Crowned Cranes are they like the secretary bird? No, crowned cranes and secretaries belong to a different order. You can look here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronenkranich
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sekret%C3%A4r_%28Vogel%29
Happy evening and happy week, Wieczora (◔‿◔) | my photoblog
Interesting stand-off! In our local colony of Yellow-crowned Night-Herons, a Black-crowned has shown up on occasion, but it has been very reclusive and seems to avoid contact with the Yellow-crowns.
ReplyDeleteInteresting photo story!
ReplyDeleteComing back to join the party. I forgot to link up! Thanks, Anni!
ReplyDeleteFound your link to Goose Island, and have looked it up... A definite must for the coming week, and have even printed up the park map. Thank you so much! If you have any other amazing spots that you can think of that I should check out... let me know.... please..... jstonefnp@yahoo.com. So appreciate your help and can't wait to get there. Jeanne
ReplyDeleteThat's really cool Anni...sorta' glad I didn't see it earlier or I'd have been embarrassed to post my two separate pictures of the crowns.
ReplyDelete