Rio Grande Valley....


Along the Rio Grande Valley we hiked some trails to hopefully find a special bird species seen only in the southwestern area of the valley. I had hoped to spot an Altamira Oriole which has been often reported seen in the area. But we didn't see any. We did spot a Hooded Oriole at one of the sanctuary's feeding stations. We saw a few other unexpected bird species also. One group was a fly-over of snow geese while we were in the car, driving. And, luck would have it, absolutely no place to pull the car over and get a photo. But just seeing them was a special sight. They're beautiful against a deep blue sky!!! Another species we saw that wasn't on my 'to see list' and unexpected I'll show photos of next week. Stay tuned. Also spotted were, more common in Texas, the red winged blackbirds by the hundreds, inca doves, collared doves, kiskadees, muskcovy ducks, a nesting great horned owl [in a palm tree], northern cardinals, couch's kingbirds, green jays, dozens of golden fronted woodpeckers, common house sparrows, spoonbills, egrets, stilts, harriers, ONE hummingbird, a blue bird at a rest stop when I didn't have my camera strapped around my neck...darn!! Oh and another dove that is only seen in the Lower Rio Grande Valley which I'll share images of below...

Moving on...I mentioned we found one I was hoping to see other than the Altamira Oriole...and that was the Plain Chachalaca!!! [pronounced cha kah LA kah] ---so named for its sound/calls. We were lucky enough to see several as we arrived early at one of the secondary refuges on our list of possible stop overs. They are reported online and in guide books to be active early in the morning AND later in the evening just before sunset. The male Chachalaca has a red throat, visible only during breeding season...I found a couple with the red showing!! The female and male are quite similar [except for the red spot on the throat of the male] in marking and color...the female tends to be a bit smaller in size. The species is very common in Mexico and farther south into Central America ---very FEW are seen here in Texas and only  near Brownsville, Texas.

[male with red breeding throat]

PLAIN CHACHALACA
photos taken: Along Cattail Trail - Santa Ana NWR [outside of Brownsville, Texas]
Habitat Range: Plain Chachalaca

- - -

The White-tipped Dove, as mentioned above, has a range that extends from South America all the way through to the southwestern tip of Texas. They are often somewhat secretive in the small U.S. portion of their range, preferring to use areas of dense low vegetation.




WHITE TIPPED DOVE

photos taken Sabal Palm Sanctuary Trail[s] Brownsville, Texas
Habitat Range: White Tipped Dove


TRIVIA:
The White Tipped Dove is easily identified even before you spot one...by its distinctive call, described as similar to the sound of a person blowing over the mouth of a bottle. [and I can attest to this statement!]

Unlike most other chicken relatives in North America, the Plain Chachalaca is largely arboreal, spending most of its time foraging in trees. It is commonly observed feeding in precarious positions, including upside down.


Now...share your birding experiences:






51 comments:

  1. Very interesting birds! I wish you a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gunilla, and Happy Easter wishes to you too.

      Delete
  2. What a success! I have never heard of these birds, let alone seen one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're both a bit special...but the doves were so pretty with their iridescence.

      Delete
  3. that chachalca is neat!! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...their kind was on my list...I'm glad to have seen them. Thanks Ms. T.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. ...thanks Linda...glad you enjoyed this and thanks for visiting and linking.

      Delete
  5. Cool birds Anni! I was able to see the Chachalca in Panama. Great sightings! Thanks you for hosting, Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're definitely worth searching for...so unusual. And Eileen...you too have a wonderful holiday tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, the Chachalca is a special, love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Bob, glad you enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  7. I've never even heard of the Chachalaca. Nice shots! My first time seeing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Brian. By the way, I'm still enthralled by your beautiful eagle photo!!!

      Delete
  8. Anni you had some wonderful travels, and I enjoyed this bird, it's quite long-legged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ya, and you'd think they'd be a bit clumsy...but au contraire!!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos and a new species for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Christian. Happy to read it's a new species for you to see!!

      Delete
  10. Dearest Anni;
    I checked Chachalaca (as I didn't heard of the kind) with PC and found it is in the group of guan (again I checked,haha).
    Happy for your worthwhile travel and thank you very much for hosting. Happy Easter to you!

    Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU for linking up and paying me a visit today!!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you found some more special birds,but then actually,they are all special.I love birds and enjoy photographing them,as much as watching them.Have a Blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you Ruth...and Happy Easter to you also.

      Delete
  12. Wow, I hadn't actually heard of a Chachalaca before - it would be an interesting bird to see. For some reason, seeing any animal at the very edge of their distribution always fascinates me - why does it stop there? Is there a barrier, whether physical or climactic? etc etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you ask a good question!! I'm wondering if it has to do with instinct...but then, the instinct would be physical AND climatic wouldn't it? Like I say...good question!!

      Delete
  13. Excellent photos of some birds I've never seen! I enjoy seeing what you're seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad knowing you enjoyed the post this weekend.

      Delete
  14. tolle Bilder von einem Vogel den ich nicht kannte

    DANKE
    mit einem LG zum Osterfest vom katerchen

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sure live in a birding paradise Anni - A tremendous list of birds seen on your outing. And I never heard of Chachalaca either and I'm trying to think what family of birds it belongs to. Think I'd best go and google it and see where it fits in the great big picture.

    Thanks for hosting again Anni. A great job you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this time of year Texas is a FABULOUS area for birding. Migrating season...and Bud and I are going out this morning, first thing to hopefully find some warblers...if they sit still long enough. lol

      Thanks Phil.

      Delete
  16. Your great narrative and photos brought me back to my only visit to Sanra Ana Refuge, over 25 years ago, when we lived in Dallas. We too were rewarded for our patience in searching for the chachalaca. As soon as we saw one we started seeing more, so they must have been around us all the time. As I started my photography hobby only recently, I have no images except those in my mind (just like your Snow Geese) and they are nonetheless special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Santa Ana NWR is one of our favorites!! Any time of year.

      Delete
  17. Not only is the Chachalaca interesting to read about, it is also fun to say. I've been practicing. What an amazing find! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...worth the trip there to find 'em. They ARE noisy tho. Unmistakable to not ID them if you ever hear them.

      Delete
  18. Anni, thank you for sharing these unusual birds. May you and your family enjoy a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. such an interesting bird. I would love to see one. Thanks or sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks. And thanks for linking up this week.

      Delete
  20. Hi Anni Wonderful photos. Hope you had a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you saw and photographed some awesome birds!! So jealous. :) Can't wait to see more photos for next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...this time of year, it's a birder's paradise.

      Delete
  22. Hi Anni,
    you have not seen the bird that you wanted but still again a few other birds :-)
    Also nice how you explain how the male and female bird Chachalaca and the guy just has a red throat in the breeding season but otherwise much like the female.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful photos! (Now that it's warmer, I'm hoping to be back posting photos again. This Winter was awful.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...finally!!! Warmer weather....yes, it was a very LONG snowy winter for most.
      Enjoy the Springtime days.

      Delete

Table of Contents