If you're here to view the "RARE" bird I photographed this past week and mentioned on my personal blog, Hootin' Anni's... this post isn't it!! LOL I promise to get that readied for next weekend. The Birding Convention held here in Corpus Christi from the 22nd-25th put me in a whirlwind and I got caught up in that. In the meantime...
As I mentioned last weekend on my post, there was another unexpected bird that Bud and I never even thought to add it to our list of 'must finds' while driving around the river valley in southwest Texas. It's reported that some areas are literally filled with their roosting at night. Each evening just before sunset, the birds fly in with a rowdy, loud, calling and land in trees, rooftops, eaves, and power lines!! Oh the noise!! Their raucous can be deafening. But, still thrilling when it is something you weren't looking for in the first place.
As I mentioned last weekend on my post, there was another unexpected bird that Bud and I never even thought to add it to our list of 'must finds' while driving around the river valley in southwest Texas. It's reported that some areas are literally filled with their roosting at night. Each evening just before sunset, the birds fly in with a rowdy, loud, calling and land in trees, rooftops, eaves, and power lines!! Oh the noise!! Their raucous can be deafening. But, still thrilling when it is something you weren't looking for in the first place.
And they are....Green Parakeets/Parrots.
Looking the kind up online, it's about 50/50 on which they are. Parrots vs. Parakeets. It's up to you to decide. But, they ARE wild in my opinion. Again, opinions differ in this aspect also. They ARE indigenous to Old Mexico and Central America and are reported being a vagrant traveler to South Texas in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. [some seen as far north as Austin, Texas and around the tropics of Galveston Island south of Houston] Yet again, some seem to think that they are tame birds gone feral. This, with all that is written up about them, I think they're more vagrant than tame gone wild.
- It will also nest colonially on crevices in cliff faces. After the breeding season is completed, the birds will form large communal roosts. The US population takes advantage of palm groves in the Southern Coastal cities. Three years ago this Spring, our town had some spotted along a city street near a palm tree grouping!! Today, a lot of the larger suburbia has issued and ratified a protective ordinance to keep them from being captured and sold as house pets. Thank goodness.
Either Parakeets or Parrots, they're pretty. Of course green is a favorite color of mine. Can't go wrong with green birds!! [Or money, but that's a whole 'nother topic]


GREEN PARROT/PARAKEET
photos taken: Brownsville, Texas
habitat map: Green Parrot/Parakeet of Texas
note the site shared above also has great info/description of this species!!
Just click on links provided throughout the page
TRIVIA:
The birds [green parrots/parakeets] are cavity nesters, and will make use of hollowed trees, stone crevices, holes in buildings, and termite mounds. They will also nest colonially on cliff faces. Breeding has been recorded from January through April (April through August in southern Texas). Once paired, birds will investigate nest cavities, and the female will eventually lay 3-4 eggs. Following the breeding season, adult and young birds form communal roosts, which can number into the hundreds.
Flocks will often wander good distances of 100+ miles in response to the availability of food sources.
Some other birds we photographed while on our drive around the Valley can also be spotted where we live!! And names of them are found in post's labels.









photos taken: Between Brownsville, McAllen, Pharr, Mission, Edingburg Texas and Reynosa Mexico.
range map: Hooded Oriole
Now share your birding experiences:









photos taken: Between Brownsville, McAllen, Pharr, Mission, Edingburg Texas and Reynosa Mexico.
range map: Hooded Oriole
Now share your birding experiences:






Beautiful parrots.
ReplyDelete...thanks Rajesh.
DeleteAnni, how cool to see the parrots in Texas! I think these are the birds I saw in Costa Rica! Or ones similar. Awesome photos! I will link up next week, I do not have birds on my post this week. Thanks fr sharing your outing. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDelete...'til next weekend then, Eileen. Thanks for stopping by as always.
DeleteThey are very cute, and wow this is a couple? I see you even have a flicker down below!
ReplyDelete...much more than a couple...there were 'hoards' of them all at once getting ready to roost for the night. And the one you think is a flicker is a golden fronted woodpecker.
DeleteBeautiful birds! That's pretty neat that they're being seen in Texas!
ReplyDelete...just in the Brownsville area mostly. But their range seems to be growing. Guess it has to do with the food supply.
DeleteBeautiful photos!
ReplyDeleteLove them all!
...thanks Hans!
Deletecute little guys and girls! loved your kiskadee shots!
ReplyDeleteKisskadees are a favorite of mine. :-)
DeleteLots of lovelies Anni! The parakeets are awesome.
ReplyDelete...awesomely noisy. lol
Deletea great variety of birds
ReplyDelete...thanks Linda. I love your osprey this weekend too.
DeleteDearest Anni;
ReplyDeleteGreen Parakeets/Parrots is amazing!!! So happy for your well-deserved trip with wonderful pictures♪
Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*
...thanks Miyako
DeleteSuch a beautiful color!
ReplyDelete...they are colorful!!!
DeleteWe have a similar suburban situation in Australia with our Rainbow Lorikeets. They love the tall lone gum trees that inevitably get left standing at the edge of shopping centre carparks, and wow is the noise deafening in the evening! But I love it! :)
ReplyDeleteI also love the Kiskadee shots too, thanks for introducing me to such a love bird!
Indeed...they are incredibly loud.
DeleteWonderful birds all of them, but I love the parrots. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDelete...thanks, have a great weekend yourself Gunilla
Deleteso schöne Bilder...
ReplyDeletebesonderes die Kletterkünstler in Grün gefallen mir
LG vom katerchen
LOL....tree climbers? Yes....just like a tomcat.
DeleteGreen is my favorite color and those green birds do not disappoint. Great series of all the birds. I'm lucky to find one or two in a week. This working full time gets in the way of my fun.
ReplyDeleteMe too...I LOVE green...all shades. Yep, I never had time to do much birding when I was working or the kids were home...just more or less watching them outside our window at the feeder.
DeleteAnni, what an array of birds that you have gathered here. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete...thank YOU for visiting Doug. Your commenting is always appreciated.
DeleteA fine collection birds you posted there Anni. You and Bud sure get about and clock up lots of birds to share with everyone. Thanks for your hosting again. It's a fine meeting place./
ReplyDeleteYou're so kind with your feedback Phil...always. Always so positive, and I thank you for it.
DeleteLove the green parrots. I have probably seen them too. :) But I have to check that.
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting.
I'm sure you have at one time or another.
DeleteA lovely drive and a super collection of birds. I didn't realize you could get those green parrots your way. I have joined up on the link today, a little late.
ReplyDeleteNo, you're not late....it's more or less a weekend meme so come on in and add a link any o' time!!! Thanks Denise
DeleteOver margaritas last night I was naming all the spots I wanted to look for birds, and the Rio Grande Valley is one. Specifically I mentioned the kiskadee! That is one beautiful bird. What an awesome variety and so many colors and markings. That hooded oriole is something! Wow, you hit the mother lode.
ReplyDelete...it's a good place for birding...but, with our experiences, most can be seen here at our city/area.
DeleteAnother very blog full of the most beautiful birds. Their colors I always find so wonderful to see. I enjoyed again :-)
ReplyDeleteKind regards, Helma
...thank you Helma. As is your blog post this week.
Deletea nice feature on the Green Parrot; a lovely bright emerald...
ReplyDelete...thanks Carole
DeleteCute parrot! We once had a beebe parrot who looked like that.
ReplyDelete...thanks Linda.
DeleteThey're so cute! We stayed somewhere in the Valley once for a week or so after leaving Port A, we saw a few of these. Pre digital camera...I wish we could have a chance to go back to all those pre blog places! Thanks for sharing and the memories!
ReplyDelete...that area definitely is an ideal place in Texas for birding.
Delete