It's All About Ibis...


...these photo shares this time around are all ibis. White Ibis, Immature Ibis, and White Faced Ibis.
I say "White Faced Ibis" since they're known to be in our area of Texas according to my Texas Bird Guide, tho they highly resemble  the Glossy Ibis which is found elsewhere in USA. The way to tell them apart:   white faced from glossy,  is more defined during breeding season. The white faced have cream colored to white around the RED eye.  The glossy, on the other hand, has a darker plumage around the face and DARK eyes.   Also, one photo shows the white ibis in breeding colors [sorry for the photo quality - quite blurry because of the distance it was from my camera]...during breeding season the white ibis have bright red faces and black tipped bills with brighter, redder legs.

White Faced Ibis & White Ibis

Immature White Ibis

White Ibis with breeding colors & White Faced Ibis in flight

White Faced Ibis

White Faced Ibis & Immature White Ibis



WHITE FACED IBIS & WHITE IBIS
Photos taken: Hans Suter Wildlife Park - Corpus Christi, Texas [white breeding & white ibis], Port Aransas Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas and others of the same...Charlie's Pasture Reserve, Port Aransas, Texas [white faced], Pollywog Ponds, Lakeview Park, and Hazel Bazemore Park, Calallen/Corpus Christi, Texas [immature]
Habitat range: White Faced Ibis and White Ibis


TRIVIA
-white faced ibis-  Coastal populations have continued to decline over the past 20 years perhaps due to the pesticides used in rice farming. The White-faced Ibis is being studied as a possible candidate for federal listing under the Endangered Species Act.
Comparing: White Faced Ibis vs. Glossy Ibis


Now, share your birding experiences:





50 comments:

  1. Great variety and beautiful photos! I've never seen an Ibis of any species in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Brian. You don't know how much it means to me for your praise...I've seen your photos and know how much an expert you are at capturing wildlife and the beauty of still life!!

      BTW...come on down, I'll show you around and find some ibis for you...they're year 'round here.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I didn't know there are so many kinds of ibis! You got great pics of all of them. Matter of fact, it looks like you were right there among them!!! I hope you are having a great weekend and the weather is not too hot there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been VERY humid here the last week after the day of rain....and getting hot to boot!! But it's coming on to summertime, can't expect less. Tho, I can dream of cooler days. ;-)

      Remember, I have a zoom lens...so the close ups most times are by using the zoom.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos of birds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ela. Loved your tulip post today!

      Delete
  4. The beaks on the ibis are amazing, lovely photos and descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we've had white ibis - adult and juvenile - here. i'd love to see a glossy or white-face, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...they're difficult to find sometimes...but here year 'round. Come on down Ms. T!!

      Delete
  6. Believe it or not, I remembered to link....you don't know me very well but let me tell you that is an accomplishment.

    The ibis is sure an interesting bird to look at....reminds me of some cartoon character, but I cannot think which one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...when you DO remember the cartoon character, let me know. I'm glad you remembered to stop by and add your link!! Welcome Rose.

      Delete
  7. Great series!! Boom, Bobbi and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gary!! It's nice to have you back blogging...you have been missed!

      Delete
  8. Great ibis collection and nice to have such birds around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful birds! Sorry I haven't been linking up, but I've been very buzy with my girls' school events and hobbies. I hope things will slow down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you've been missed! But I understand, life can be hectic at times! Glad to have you back.

      Delete
  10. Beauty, The Ibis is a winner, thanks Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wa lucky enough to see Immature White Ibis when I visited Costa Rica. A fine bird.

    Next week I will be gone so I will not join your meme. :) I´m going to Iceland for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots.I have only seen an Ibis once and that was a White-faced.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific set of Ibis photos! I'd love to see a White Ibis someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...you're welcome to stop down my way...I'll show you where you can find 'em. Thanks.

      Delete
  14. I've never seen these except at the zoo. I had no idea there were so many varieties. Wonderful series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'll let you in on a little secret...I didn't either 'til we moved to TX and started getting into birding. Thanks!

      Delete
  15. Great set of ibis captures. There was a White-faced Ibis in our area last October. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The White-faced Ibis is rarely seen in a South Florida. I had to roll my eyes when a birder claimed to pick one out in a flock of Glossy Ibises at over 100 yards. Thanks for the interesting and informative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...funny thing is, there was this other birder there, that was adamant this group were Glossy, even after I explained they weren't. Oh well.

      Delete
  17. Great collection of beautiful ibis photos. How wonderful to have seen and photographed so many varieties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...ther photos are not all the same time frame...thanks Pat.

      Delete
  18. Anni, wonderful collection of Ibis photos.. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. An extraordinary bird Anni, great photos and a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They both are very very rare here in southeaster Minnesota but an occasional wanderer stops by. We've seen quite a few in Cedar Key, Florida hanging around the dock....;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the white ibis I'm sure....the white faced aren't seen in Florida...the glossy is predominant in FL. instead of TX.

      Delete
  21. I finally saw the breeding white ibis. Their faces really do get blood-red. Amazing collection you have here. :) I will link up tomorrow. Thanks as always for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...extreme reds!! I look forward to your post Gail.

      Delete
  22. Wonderful photos, the white Ibis is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great ID marks for these VERY tricky birds. Here we have White-faced Ibis.....once in awhile we get a Glossy Ibis....but that is very rare for Arizona. I love the Ibis group a lot. They remind me of Egypt and history.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful, informative post! Looks like I can go ahead and link in so I will. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Its not my first time to pay a visit this web
    page, i am browsing this site dailly and get nice facts from here daily.


    Here is my web blog :: مشاهدة كأس العالم عام 2014 على الإنترنت

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents