It's a Beautiful Boy!!


The past week meant two road trips to the islands and more specifically an area in Port Aransas that attracts migrant birds each Spring and Autumn. The reason we took TWO trips in two days was a bird on my list to photograph. The first day, not spotted. But the second day - and a rainy, dark, cloudy day at that...there it was. Right in the middle of the grasses so very near us. And shutter mayhem!!

Once again, this bird is not supposed to be in our area of Texas at all. In fact the habitat map shows only the very western borders of Texas being their boundary. The bird [and a beautiful male!!] is the Lazuli Bunting. [The search for pronunciation goes either way...LAZ oo lee OR LAZ oo lie] I think when we saw it, it was busy drinking the water from the rain-laden grass. Not sure. We didn't see any female which is a lot duller/browner than the male...but, I gotta say, he was even more beautiful than my bird guide depicts!!


LAZULI BUNTING [male]
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Lazuli Bunting


Then, over the weekend, while I was painting the living room walls, we decided to drive to the seawall because another vagrant bird was spotted. This time, a Sabine's Gull. So giving a bit of time to allow the first coat of paint to dry before applying a 2nd coat of paint, we left in hopes of spotting the gull. Which we didn't. After that short time, we drove to the park to check out the birds there. On this particular day we spotted a female American Redstart. Wherever there is a female, hopefully there is a male close by! And I must say, redstarts are just as difficult to photograph as the warblers...always lighting on a branch only to take off immediately...to get them in the viewfinder and snap the shutter can be a challenge.



AMERICAN REDSTART [female brighter yellow --and male, black & orange/red]
photos taken: Blucher Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat map: American Redstart


Now, share your birding experiences:






54 comments:

  1. Nice! I've never seen either of these. Great blue color on the bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful birds both of them. I would go far to see tehm too. .) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a splendid bunting view and photos! I grew up calling them laz-OOH-lee but had little hope of ever seeing one in New Jersey. When a bird isn't common a kid never hears the experienced birders even use its name. Had to wait a long time to ever see one, in Arizona. Those redstarts are so hard to catch in the viewfinder. So far this spring I have missed several photo ops-- just got bare branches or a black & orange blur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I lived in AZ for a decade, and never saw a bunting like this one. And yep...restarts are just as difficult to photograph as most warblers are, I agree.

      Delete
  4. The Redstart is just SO cute, with his beautiful yellow, white, and black striped wings. And he looks different sizes and colors from different angles. He looks small in the first pictures, then later, very big! But the bunting, how fabulous! He is a bird of a lifetime!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, the bunting was a special exception in my photographing I agree. But, Ginny, the yellow bird is the female and the orange and black is the male.

      Delete
  5. Last May (2013) I saw my first American Redstart, but have never seen a Lazuli Bunting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU Doug for stopping by to pay a visit and add your link.

      Delete
  6. WOW! You are sure getting some great and special birds to photograph.This wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ruth. I really liked your yellow headed blackbird images today too.

      Delete
  7. New birds to me Anni! The bunting is so beautifully coloured, and the redstarts are as cute as a button. You did a great job photographing these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was a 'first' for me on the bunting also, except for books. Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  8. Get ten birders together and you're gonna get at least two different versions of the pronunciation of Lazuli....but a rose by any other name, as the Bard said. It's a gorgeous bird. The last one I saw as in California several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New birds to me! Both are beautiful, but that Lazuli...love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right on with the ring billed gull. I googled and used my bird book. We don't have many varieties up here in landlocked Illinois. This one was along the Illinois River in Peoria, IL. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. ...it was the ring and the yellow eye that was the 'give away' for me.

      Delete
    3. ...and that Lazuli is a stunner for me too

      Delete
  10. Beautiful collection of photo !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome shots of these beautiful birds. I've never heard of the Lazuli Bunting, have heard of the American Redstart but haven't ever seen either one. I'm really taken with both of them after looking at your photos. Thanks Anni and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the bunting was something I have always wanted to see and photograph ever since I took up 'birding'. Thanks Denise.

      Delete
  12. Such beautiful birds. Wonderful captures, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great birds, I like the Lazuli Bunting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've gotten some great captures! The little Bunting is a beauty and so is the Redstart!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, the Lazuli males are gorgeous. I've had a pair of them coming to my feeder in the back yard. I've gotten some nice photos of them. Guess I better post some of them soon! The female is really pretty in her own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your Bunting photos!!

      Delete
  16. they're each sooo beautiful ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Carole. I LOVED your pelican images today too.

      Delete
  17. Hey there - Hope you get this post. I'm posting my Lazuli Bunting on Thursday, May 22nd!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What great luck you've had lately!! The lazuli reminds me of the blue grosbeak, only with more white. Really nice shot of the redstart spreading her wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....the buntings remind me more of a bluebird. Thanks Gail.

      Delete
  19. You are fantastic photographer and you can capture the true beauty of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  20. great this beautiful colored birds.
    In jukllie there are so many more beautiful colors of birds.
    I enjoyed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Helma, glad you enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  21. Hello there! Summer is almost here and I can get out and do some chasing like you've done here. Congrats on the Lazuli capture. They are our bunting of choice here followed by the Varied, Lark and rare Indigo and Painteds. They can be a challenge to get on camera like your American Redstart! I agree....in many ways, they are so much more difficult to capture on film than the other warblers. We have the Painted Redstart. Must have take a 1000 photos and only gotten about two shots. Hope you are well. Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen the varied...are they in Texas also? Probably not.

      Delete
  22. great selection of lovely bird shots in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I must say Anni I think I would have rather seen (and photographed) the American Redstart rather than a boring old Sabines Gull. But each to his own.

    I hope youand Bud finished that painting but I know that birding is much more exciting. Thank for hosting - think I forgot this one on my return from the Med.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never seen either of these! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents