Rare...Vagrant...Booby by any other name


ADDENDUM [saturday morning - May 3, 2014] ---This post was written yesterday morning and scheduled to publish at noon.  Since the preparation of this narrative, Bud and I chartered a boat late yesterday afternoon to have them take us out on the bay to get a closer view...they were still there!!! [see close up photos, below]

Remember back around Christmas of last year when I told y'all about the cops pulling us over near the Shipping Channel thinking that since we were using binoculars to scan the tankers docked; thinking that we may have been terrorists? Remember? Well, at the time it was reported that a sea loving bird was spotted perched on the barge near all the tankers....for several days. Bud and I never did find it. But we made the channel guards nervous.

During this past week, while the American Birding Association held their national convention here in our city along the seawall on Shoreline Blvd for the entire week, lo and behold another rare/vagrant bird of the same species showed up to show off for the convention attendees...perched on the breakwater. Now, if you don't know what breakwater is, I'll give you an idea...we live on the coast and are always within a threat of strong force hurricanes during the 6 months from June to November. The breakwater is nothing but stacks and stacks of huge boulders placed strategically from the bottom of the sea and jutting up out of the water several feet to break the high waves created by a hurricane and if luck holds out, that breakwater will 'break the water' and hopefully save the streets, yachts, seawall, etc. from catastrophic damage.

Okay, so now you know what that's all about. On ABA's website for Texas and Texas's bird sightings, one evening about 7 pm, I read that a brown booby had been spotted on marker #2 out in the bay...just in front of the convention hotel. Bud and I dropped everything and hopped in the car and drove to the hotel front and searched with our binoculars. Not only did we find ONE booby, but by that time there were TWO brown boobies. I think one was a juvenile. But the darkness of the evening was pounding down on us and I didn't take but one very dark, blurry photo...


...at least we spotted them...at last!!

Rarely are these birds seen on land. They're mainly sea lovers, living and feeding in the oceans. And more rarely, they are spotted in Texas along the coastal borders of the Gulf. When seen here in our area, they're considered vagrant. Understandable...

range map courtesy of google search


...the next day, during the convention, they were once again spotted in the same perch!! I rushed out in the sunlight...even tho the images are still not professional quality, and the birds were a bit too far from my zoom range [over 1/4 mile away from where we stood], I was able to record them here with a little more detailing and color than the 1st night.



BROWN BOOBY [adult & juvenile?]
photos taken: Corpus Christi Bay - downtown Corpus Christi, Texas


ADDENDUM - - I couldn't take not having a closer look at these water birds.  The two have been frequenting the bay for nearly two weeks now, off and on.  Yesterday afternoon, after birding at a nearby park, we drove down to the seawall and breakwater only to see they were at the same marker as last week!  I was itching to get out on the water somehow, and asked around, to find someone to take us out there to photograph up close and personal.  The charter pilot did a wonderful job of it.  After taking a slow speed to not startle them off, he circled around the boobies several different angles and allowed me to get pictures - close enough for my zoom to capture in more detail without scaring them off!!!  Trust me, I took nearly 100 photos yesterday in short of an hour's time out on the water, [and I'm MORE than happy to report the sea was calm!!] but will share just a few that I watermarked here...added photos from yesterday's boat excursion:






TRIVIA:
Like pelicans, the Brown Booby's [and all boobies] feet are "totipalmate," having webbing connecting all four toes.
The brown booby is normally dark brown with cream colored belly, yellow feet, light blue beak. The juvenile is also brown to spotted gray with dappled cream/brown bellies.

Now, share your birding experiences:








70 comments:

  1. lol, that´s quite an adventure. I´m happy you were able to get some shots of the Boobys, not an easy task. I like that kind of birds.. Would love to see the one with blue feet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would too really like the blue footed booby too.

      Delete
  2. Oh Wow Anni, what a great adventure! Thanks for sharing your terrific shots of a bird I will never in the "flesh".

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful find. I have heard of them but never saw one and the close ups are awesome. I love that he looks like he is wearing bangs ... such cute faces and a blue beak to boot. Love this post and I am glad you were persistent. Wonderful post ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you enjoyed this, this weekend Andrea.

      Delete
  4. Great find, and your photos were worth the extra effort you put into getting them. Very informative marrative. We've just returned from Arizona for the funeral of Mary Lou's brother, a sad occasion but surrounded by family and dear friends. We had just finished a few days on the Florida Gulf Coast just opposite your hunting grounds, on Sanibel Island. Needless to say I am way behind on correspondence. Luckily I had prepared a post as a follow-up on the Least Tern that was a rather inept suitor, but he seems to have won over his mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to finally have the brown booby on my list of birds found and photographed. Loved your tern courtship too.

      Delete
  5. very cool look at rare birds! they are unique, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks! It was definitely worth going out on the bay to get these images.

      Delete
  6. Wow, how awesome that you got a closer look at them. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Anni, congrats on your Brown Booby sighting.. They are neat looking birds.. Thanks for sharing and for hosting.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet it was a really special feeling when you saw them. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni, stopping back to say thanks for linking up your post with my critter party.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you for hosting Saturday Critters

      Delete
  10. Really great photos and very original birds :)
    Have a happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! The close pictures are extra special. I am so happy for you that you had this chance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning birds, they are elegant flyers. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am grinning over the tale of your adventures. i enjoyed the christmas story.....fyi, i keep bale money in the glove box, perhaps you should as well!!

    your images are spectacular and how wonderful that your hubands enjoys these adventures with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bud acts as my spotter many times. Glad you enjoyed the Christmas Day saga. I'll keep the bail money in mind.

      Delete
  14. This is spectacular, actual Boobies! Are they even residents of the states? I like the way their eyes are on their beaks, a sure sign of a Booby. You got wonderful pictures of their faces, YES and YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S i know of this kind, and the Blue Footed. So how many kinds of Boobies are there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. Blue-footed Booby
      Peruvian Booby
      Masked Booby
      Nazca Booby
      Red-footed Booby
      Brown Booby
      Tasman Booby

      Papasula
      the Abbot's Booby




      Delete
  16. Wow, brown booby babies on a bay buoy... say it three times fast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anni, what a capture. Last year a brown booty vagrant was seen near Buffalo. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it's exciting to see those 'not so familiar' birds to keep us birding!!!

      Delete
  18. I'm very happy for you. I can only imagine the excitement when you first saw them. The extra effort really paid off! I didn't know about you being a terrorist suspect. Made me smile, but doubt you were at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a terrorist....honest!! rofl Just an obsessive birder.

      Delete
  19. Awesome! So glad you could get out on the water and get some up close and personal shots! I have never seen this bird - only in photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...me too, photos only, until this last week.

      Delete
  20. Anni, Congratulations on catching these rare birds! Isn't it a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nothing I like better than a morning cup of tea sitting outside in the morning watching birds. Very fun!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  22. You'll be chattering a flight to Australia next, lots of rare birds here (especially if you are used to seeing ones from Texas!

    Nice pictures.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud and I have talked about birding in Australia....wishing!! Thanks Stewart

      Delete
  23. OHMYGOSH, Anni!!! I'm so excited for you. Holy cow. How brilliant to charter a boat and get closer. Your pictures are awesome. We had a brown booby here a few months ago sitting on one of those markers, about the same distance away as yours. All I got to see was a shape. Mercy me, how incredibly thrilling for you. Bravo for thinking on your feet and getting a boat to see it up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Gail. I was happy that the gulf was calm, otherwise I may not have wanted to go out. I don't like rockin' boats. lol Now, seems all the land birds we've been seeing, holds nothing to the thrill of seeing these up close.

      Delete
  24. Congrats! Those are nice shots! I've never seen one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Brian. These two are a 'first' for me also, except in photo books.

      Delete
  25. I sure understand your excitement! So glad you got to get closer to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited to be sure. Rose, you should add your link today of your photos of the sora.

      Delete
  26. wonderful opportunity to see these Brown Booby's up close; thanks Anni

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great photos of the Booby and such an interesting story of how you saw these birds and got such great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. HI Anni I am glad you now have his bird on your list. Wonderful shots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anni,

    What a beautiful saying about the bird that he does not sing because it has an answer, but he sings because it has a song. Beautifully said.

    Lovely series of this bird that was just a bit too far.

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well I guess according to the map my chances of seeing a brown boobie here in Minnesota are pretty slim. We have plan to snow bird next winter on the Gulf at Cedar Key, Florida. Maybe that will do the trick....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun....I bet you're looking forward to your trip.

      Delete
  31. How wonderful this all is, enjoyed the summary and the images are marvelous~

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations! What a wonderful opportunity you had! Very nice work in getting some images and avoiding being arrested! I chased the "rumor" of one last winter and never found it, so I'm quite jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Wally. Yep, no 'arrests' this time. And I understand about the posted rumors. Sometimes luck holds out.

      Delete
  33. So sorry I missed this post Anni. Anyway it was worth waiting for those fine looking Boobies. You're persistence paid off again when lots would have been happy with less than ideal views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to have you stop by Phil...you've been missed. Yep, me....a persistent ol' hag. But well worth the boat trip.

      Delete

Table of Contents