Duck Call
FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCK - GREAT BLUE HERON - EGRETS - AVOCET - OYSTERCATCHER
photos taken: Indian Point Park - Portland, Texas and Fulton Corridor - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Fulvous - Heron - Egrets - Avocet - Oystercatcher
TRIVIA:
Unlike many other ducks which have elaborate courtship displays, whistling-ducks appear to have none.
I'D RATHER B BIRDIN' WAS LISTED THIS WEEK ON 'SITES TO SEE' ONLINE.
Thank you, Jerry.
The Whistling Ducks do not typically sound like a duck you're expecting. No quacking in other words. Tho they are of the duck family, they are heard 'whistling' instead. You can listen by clicking on the link above "Duck Call". There are two species in North America [and migrating south to Mexico, Central America, and South America]....The Black Bellied Whistling Duck and the Fulvous Tree Duck. The latter is pronounced FUL vus - the "FUL" as in the ful in beautiful. According to all my bird guides and online searching, the Fulvous Whistling Duck is common but rarely seen. Why you wonder? Because they are normally nocturnal feeders. Active at night. On my record chart for Texas Coastal Birds, where I keep track of birds I've photographed, it shows the Fulvous as "U" throughout all twelve months of the year. U being Uncommon. Patience, I'm getting to the whistling duck in just a bit...
This past Sunday, July 27th, Bud and I drove to Indian Point Park. Mainly just to get some walking in. We expected the tidal pools and ponds to be quite dry with the drought and we were correct in assuming. Some water around, but a lot of the shallow ponds were dried up or muddy. As we drove through the winding road first, stopping at the fishing wharf, we spotted a tagged oystercatcher. I took a photo...
...birding protocol tells me I am to report this sighting. Haven't yet. Will have to make a note to myself to report the tagged bird and where it was.
![]() |
| Tagged Oystercatcher |
...birding protocol tells me I am to report this sighting. Haven't yet. Will have to make a note to myself to report the tagged bird and where it was.
Then, we drove to the other side a couple of miles away, where there is a large parking lot. We got out and walked. Along the path, we spotted the usual water birds. Herons, Terns, Willets, sandpipers, egrets, stilts and a couple of American Avocets.
We walked about a mile one way before the scorching sun started burning our shoulders and we headed back to the car. It was still early so we decided to drive Navigation Highway that goes 'behind' the ship channel, the Harbor Bridge and the city. Driving we could view the backside of the ship channel where all cargo ships were moored. Further along the highway, to the left we can see the back side of all the oil refineries and train traffic. To the right...Nueces River that empties into Corpus Christi's North Bay near the park we just left earlier.
![]() |
| American Avocet |
We walked about a mile one way before the scorching sun started burning our shoulders and we headed back to the car. It was still early so we decided to drive Navigation Highway that goes 'behind' the ship channel, the Harbor Bridge and the city. Driving we could view the backside of the ship channel where all cargo ships were moored. Further along the highway, to the left we can see the back side of all the oil refineries and train traffic. To the right...Nueces River that empties into Corpus Christi's North Bay near the park we just left earlier.
The highway becomes the Joe Fulton Corridor as it winds around the country to eventually adjoin the interstate highway connection toward San Antonio, Texas. Just as you 'round the last curve before the interstate interchange, there is a large marshy area of trees, reed and a pond. We pulled off the road onto the shoulder and got out to see what birds we could see here. Again, mostly the same...mostly egrets and a few ducks ---grackles and one lone green heron that flew away as we got out. I was taking photos of the egrets in the trees off on the other side, and I spotted what I thought were four Black Bellied Whistling Ducks. I didn't have my binoculars with me and they were about a quarter mile away from where we stood. I took a couple of photos of the ducks. When I got home and started uploading off the camera card to the computer, I realized I had spotted the elusive Fulvous Ducks instead!!!
And the photos were all quite blurry.
First light on Monday morning, I told Bud
"I'm gonna drive back to the corridor in hopes of seeing the ducks so I can get a GOOD photo".
![]() |
| Snowy & Great Egrets |
Arriving, the egrets greeted me and left quickly for the security on the other side in the trees. I walked along the highway with my camera readied and turned to look at the hidden alcove where I had seen the Fulvous Ducks the day before. Not four, but only two remained. I had to walk back, along the road's shoulder...quite a distance, to a rutted old road and then walked back into the reed and muddy fields, where a Great Blue Heron was actually LAYING down in the bush...it scared me more than I scared it I think.
Getting to the area where the ducks were, I got better pictures without disturbing them!! But, I did get quite a few chigger mite bites before returning to the car. It was worth it.
![]() |
| Startled G B Heron |
Getting to the area where the ducks were, I got better pictures without disturbing them!! But, I did get quite a few chigger mite bites before returning to the car. It was worth it.
![]() |
| Fulvous Whistling Duck |
![]() |
| Use of zoom lens...Fulvous Whistling Duck |
FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCK - GREAT BLUE HERON - EGRETS - AVOCET - OYSTERCATCHER
photos taken: Indian Point Park - Portland, Texas and Fulton Corridor - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Fulvous - Heron - Egrets - Avocet - Oystercatcher
TRIVIA:
Unlike many other ducks which have elaborate courtship displays, whistling-ducks appear to have none.
I'D RATHER B BIRDIN' WAS LISTED THIS WEEK ON 'SITES TO SEE' ONLINE.
Thank you, Jerry.
Now, share your birding experiences:






Is that ever a great shot of the Fulvous! Although I saw them before I took up photography, I'm still looking for the opportunity. Surprising what you can see just off a busy highway.
ReplyDelete...thanks Ken, I'm glad you liked the duck images this week!!
DeleteGreat photos of the whistling ducks! I don't know that I've seen this species before.
ReplyDelete...thanks Brian...they ARE elusive as far as I understand. This was a first for me.
Deletecongrats on the fulvous! seen them only in bird books!
ReplyDelete...it was a first spotting for me. Thanks Ms. T
DeleteIt's a rather beautiful duck Anni. I'm very impressed by your persistence and determination in trying to find one.
ReplyDeleteOften the most seemingly unattractive places can turn up the birds. They aren't as fussy as us humans and as long as there's food the birds will find it.
Thanks for letting us bird with you this weekend Anni.
...thanks Phil...and thanks for enjoying and posting a link!!
DeleteReally great photos of those wonderful birds !
ReplyDeleteHave a nice weekend :)
...thanks Ela
DeleteThat Avocet looks like a dainty little ballerina! How sweet!
ReplyDeletethis photo does, now that you mention it.
DeleteCongrats on the fulvous! It's a beautiful duck. Enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDelete...thanks Gunilla.
DeleteBeautiful photos and a great sight.
ReplyDeleteWow, you finally FOUND him, how amazing! I am cheering for you! And very good pictures, too. Oh no, nasty itchy bites!
ReplyDeletenasty is so right!!! That they are. Thanks Ginny
DeleteGreat post, Anni. My favorite is the Fulvous Whistling duck. It is beautiful. Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!
ReplyDelete...it is a very pretty duck. And I like listening to them also. So different. Thanks Eileen
DeleteYou're one determined person. Congratulations on getting such good shots of that beautiful duck.
ReplyDeleteThe Fulvous Whistling Duck is quite a beauty.
ReplyDelete...that, it is. Thanks Ruth
DeleteThe Fulvous Whistling Duck is very colorful. Great capture. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete...thank YOU Doug!
DeleteVery enjoyable post and how exciting to see the Fulvous Whistling Duck, he's quite a duck, and I loved all your bird shots Anni. I have also linked up with you today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
ReplyDelete...thanks Denise. I'm glad you enjoyed my post this weekend. And thanks for sharing your images with a link!!
DeleteI have never seen a Fulvous Whistling duck before, but it's really pretty, such lovely colours. I'm only used to seeing the Whistlers at the Runaround Ranch, and also your American Avocet is quite dfiferent than the ones I see here. It's great to discover new birds from around the world!:)
ReplyDelete...I guess these Fulvous are distantly related to the BBW Ducks. Glad you enjoyed the post.
Deletealways fun I think to see a tagged bird --- it has an interesting brown/black combo'
ReplyDelete...thanks Carole.
DeleteI enjoyed seeing all the birds, but the fulvous capture is amazing. Congratulations!
ReplyDelete...thanks Betty.
DeleteYou are one courageous, determined birder. After an encounter with chiggers where I had over 125 bites I tend to stay our of chigger infested vegetation.
ReplyDelete...their bites are NOT fun to be sure. I think I'd go 'bananas' with as many as you had!! Ewww.
DeleteFantastic shots, Anni!
ReplyDelete....thank you!!!
DeleteGlad to here about you´ve been lsited. :) You are worth it.
ReplyDeleteAbout the ringed bird. I found a ded gull once with a ring on. I took the ring and sent it to some people taking care of it. A few weeks later I recieved a letter with the history of the gull. It had been reported in south of france as well as sweden. :) They gave me the age too but I don´t remember that.
How interesting....I did finally send in the info. We'll see if anything comes of it for me then. Thanks for the sweet mention also!!! That's very nice of you.
DeleteLOVED this post and you managed some terrific photos! I've been cutting way back on my blogging, so I did my one post of the week today, and I'll be commenting today. I had to cut back on my blogging: wasn't getting anything else done! lol
ReplyDeleteI completely understand!!!! Thanks for stopping by...anytime...and glad to know you enjoyed my post.
DeleteAnni, these are fantastic!! I'm soooo jealous of the American Avocet and the Fulvous Whistling Duck. All are so beautiful and you captured them very nicely. I wonder why they tagged the Oytercatcher like that? Seems like it would be uncomfortable to have the tags so high up on the legs and touching where the knee (?) bends. Anyway! Congrats on a marvelous set of photos. I'll be linking up Wednesday. :)
ReplyDelete...tagging is all new to me, so don't ask me 'why'. lol
DeleteThanks Gail...I[m looking forward to your linking. As always.
Thanks for sharing your awesome photos, Anni. A real treat for me to see.
ReplyDelete...thank YOU Mildred for such positive feedback.
DeleteSo many great shots! I posted some Oystercatchers just last week!
ReplyDeleteIowa Voice
...thanks Mike!!!
DeleteHI Anni Five lovely birds especially the FW duck and some of your shots have great reflections.
ReplyDelete...thanks Margaret.
DeleteThe Avocet is too cute, but I like all of them. Great shots Anni!
ReplyDelete...thanks Terri.
DeleteOh, Anni! How exciting! You are one dedicated birder going back for those better photos! They look awesome!
ReplyDelete...thanks Marie
DeleteNice looking birds!
ReplyDelete...thanks Linda
Delete