"I'm youth, I'm joy, ...."


"...I'm a little bird that has broken out of the egg." ~ James Barrie


Survival of the Fittest - an expression I paid no mind until I began with zeal photographing bird life.  Surviving in the wild is truly a daily [hourly!] challenge!!
...Around the Coastal Bend, they quickly grow. Parents are frantic, protecting and feeding...

Juvenile Black Bellied Whistling Duck

Parent and Juvenile American Coot

Juvenile American Coot

Baby Killdeer Chick

Parent and Baby Killdeer

Killdeer Chick

Baby Kiskadee Chick

Common Moorhen & Juvenile [Gallinule]

Juvenile Grackle


BLACK BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK, AMERICAN COOT, KILLDEER, KISKADEE, MOORHEN, GRACKLE
photos taken: Port Aransas Birding Center [BBWD, Coot, Killdeer, Moorhen] -Port Aransas, Texas,  Blucher Park [Kiskadee] - Corpus Christi, Texas, and Our Back Yard [Grackle] - Corpus Christi, Texas



TRIVIA: Newly hatched chicks of the Common Gallinule [Moorhen] have spurs on their wings that help them climb into the nest or grab emergent vegetation.



Now share your birding experiences:



53 comments:

  1. I love all your photos ! The Baby Killdeer Chick is so cute :))
    Have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't got any bird photos for you yet but I sure enjoyed yours :) Have a great weekend Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend. Any time you have a bird image or post about birding...share!! We'll be here.

      Delete
  3. The baby killdeer is adorable!!! We have killdeer here, but I have never seen a chick! Oh my, that grackle is making a fuss. He is so worked up that he is standing on one foot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend.

      Delete
  4. Great photos of all the little ones! The young Killdeer are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby Killdeers can be almost invisible on the nest. With binoculars I watched the spot where an adult flew up and saw absolutely no sign of them until one stood up and started walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...someone else told me this about the nearly 'invisible chick' before. Interesting.

      Delete
  6. That killdeer chick is the sweetest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the killdeer chicks are adorable! it is a harsh world for all the young babes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, harsh world indeed. You just don't realize it until you see how precious and vulnerable they are.

      Delete
  8. What long legs you have young Killdeer. Survival of The Fittest is so true Annie. It is a slight worry that Man is in many senses the fittest (but necessarily the wisest).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...aren't they long? And mother Killdeer was really talking up a blue streak while I was getting these photos from the car.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous shots of the chicks. They grow up very fast. Have a great weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and hope you had a super weekend too Gunilla.

      Delete
  10. That Killdeer chick is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic captures of both adults and young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. And, Thanks for visiting I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend.

      Delete
  12. ooooh, the little Kildeer chick is ADORABLE

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful birds, the chicks are fascinating, great to see them close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...happy to know you enjoyed the little ones this week Christian.

      Delete
  14. Anni, awesome variety of birds and their young.. I love the cute Killdeer chick! Thanks for hosting, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally awesome shots of this baby kildeer chick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend.

      Delete
  17. I always hope for the best for the babies I see, even though I know the world is a dangerous thing for small birds. I wish you a good sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. o. love the images of the killdeer chick. It is soo cute. And your images superb. I also like the image of the Moorhen. As with the family close to me yours hide in the vegitation too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I waited for what seemed an eternity for them to come out into the open more, but nope.

      Delete
  19. Lovely images of birds with their young, especially the Killdeer ( doesn't seem fair to be saddled with such a name.) I wonder why and how they are so named. The chick is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend.

      Delete
  20. Anni, great photo captures of these young birds, especially the Common Gallinule [Moorhen]. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish it would have come out in the open a bit more.

      Delete
  21. It's certainly not easy for a bird to reach adulthood. These are lovely photos. Love the little Killdeer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The life of a little bird is very precarious. My little gosling disappeared overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That Killdeer chick is just too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The baby killdeer is too darn cute! I hope the link will still be open on Thursday since that is my next scheduled post. Have a great week and thank you for hosting the meme!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That killdeer chick is way too cute! Lots of cute critters!

    ReplyDelete
  26. "I'd Rather B Birdin'" has been included in our Sites To See #383. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/08/sites-to-see-383.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank you for the special mention on your site!!

      Delete

Table of Contents