I was amazed at the numbers of this group of marbled godwits on land, feeding. Always, whenever I've seen them, they're near shallow water around our area. I couldn't help taking an over abundance of photos...
[2nd photo has a partial image of a Black Necked Stilt, the two panoramic images you can spot a willet or two, and the last image in the series has a white ibis with the godwits]









MARBLED GODWIT
photos taken: Hans Suter Nature Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Marbled Godwit
TRIVIA: Nests of the Marbled Godwit are not easily found, as these birds do not readily flush off of their eggs. Incubating adults can sometimes be picked up from the nest.
[2nd photo has a partial image of a Black Necked Stilt, the two panoramic images you can spot a willet or two, and the last image in the series has a white ibis with the godwits]









MARBLED GODWIT
photos taken: Hans Suter Nature Park - Corpus Christi, Texas
habitat range: Marbled Godwit
TRIVIA: Nests of the Marbled Godwit are not easily found, as these birds do not readily flush off of their eggs. Incubating adults can sometimes be picked up from the nest.
Now share your birding experiences:
how very neat to see so many!
ReplyDeleteOh my GOSH! Aren't they just wonderfully made! I love their beak that is half one color and half the other, and this wonderful pattern!! And their knees bend backwards, too. Just like the herons. Actually their knees are really their ankles, so this is the way it is supposed to be. It is so they don't disturb their prey when the walk in the water. Everything about them is rather geometric. A great new bird for me.
ReplyDeleteThey are such cute birds!
ReplyDeleteThese are awesome photos! I love seeing so many of them (and a rarer type of bird) all at once.
ReplyDeleteI'd be taking pics of them like crazy, too! That must have been so much fun.
Marbled Godwits are super duper rarity in the UK Anni. Most birders I know would kill for those pictures.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to see so many of them at once. Have a great weekend, Anni!
ReplyDeleteGreat to see so many of them, wonderful photos.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful birds ! I think that their long beaks are very photogenic :)
ReplyDeleteHave a nice weekend :)
That is quite a flock. And what beaks they have. I wouldn't want to get stabbed by one!
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, it must have be cool to see this large count of Godwits.. They are awesome birds.. Great post and photos. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your weekend!
ReplyDeletegood morning, anni! yes, it is cooler all of a sudden here. wore a light jacket out to the barn this morning. :) a bit of rain the other day, too and hoping for more tonight.
ReplyDeleteAnni, great to see the numbers. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletewow, that was a öot of godwiths. How wonderful to get this close to them. :)
ReplyDeleteO, forgot, I enjoyed the new header a lot. :)
ReplyDeleteSuper images Anni. I've only ever seen one 'in the fog' during a visit to Cape May.
ReplyDeleteWow, you did see quite a few! They have such long beaks. Interesting birds!
ReplyDeleteI bet that cat WOULD rather be birding! :-) I have decided to just start doubling up between you and Stewart. I jumped the gun this weekend, thinking you opened up by Saturday, and since I can usually post with Stewart on Tuesday, I figure I'll just go back to doing one post for both. I just had a plethora of bird posts there for a while and thought I might do one of each. Wow...a plethora of bird posts...not my normal situation! :-)
Holy cow what an abundance of godwits. I love the shots and what fun to see so many! Did post a late contribution to your birding links tho! :)
ReplyDeleteYou sure found a lot of these guys. Love their beaks. I haven't seen any birds around here with the exception of sparrows. All the pretty guys have left before the predicted terrible winter shows up.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that y'all got Godwits in your area. Can I come birding with you? I'm amazed at the large numbers!
ReplyDeleteI love watching and photographing the Godwits when they visit here. They are quite noisy too! LOVE your "Witchy" Header too.
ReplyDelete"Marbled" perfectly describes these attractive birds. I like the two-toned bill also. Great shots of this large group.
ReplyDeleteIncredible to see so many of this reclusive bird. A wonderful birding day.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous birds!
ReplyDeleteGreat series of photos!
ReplyDeleteI remember the first time I saw these birds. They were incredible then as they are now. That long bill was so strange to me.....very cool birds.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni, I tried to link to this meme on Saturday evening (CAT) but was not able to. However I'm so envious of your gorgeous shots of Marbled Godwit. We get the Black-tailed Godwit in East Africa, not common and we've not yet seen one. Have a great day. Greetings, Jo
ReplyDelete