Bittern-sweet Memories part one...


Last week there was a mention of seeing the American Bittern at an area on Mustang Island known to the locals/bird enthusiasts as Paradise Pond. As I've mentioned previously, the town parks department drained the water from the pond to rid the grounds of an invasive pepper plant that was choking out the native plants and trees. Well, recently, they have slowly been adding water from the two drip systems, filling it so far, then shutting it off to let the water saturate the pond ground once again. In time, we all hope that the pond will be once again permanently filled and a paradise again!! Now...that is covered. let me move on. The last few weeks, when Bud and I walk the boardwalk and stop at the observation platforms there has been a small puddle of water still...egrets, grackles, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, migrant warblers have been seen along with a wonderful viewing of an American Bittern one time we were there. We watched it for about an hour. I took several photos, but then after a while, I just stopped and watched in awe...



...I will continue this next week of another elusive bird seen on the island.  Stay tuned!

AMERCIAN BITTERN
photos taken: Paradise Pond - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat range: American Bittern

For fun:  North American Bird Trivia [20 questions...answer them and then you'll be taken to the next page with the correct answers...I missed one.  Bummer!]

Now, share your birding experiences:





58 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos of this Bittern Anni. An amazing bird for sure. I saw one for the first time in Florida but my photo was far away and blurry when cropped. It is lovely to see yours as sharp and as clear as the are. I don't have any bird photos this week, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...that's okay Denise. Maybe next week or soon you'll be able to share some birding with us. And thanks for the compliments.

      Delete
  2. these are great shots! i've never seen one of these birds, either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come here for a visit Ms. T. I'd be more than happy to take you around and share some of the 'rare' birds unseen by you.

      Delete
  3. He sure has chicken legs. Every puddle has its silver lining I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...now that you mention it, those legs DO look like drumsticks. Why am I now craving fried chicken?

      Delete
  4. Wow ! Wonderful shots of that amazing bird !
    Have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous shots Anni. And like you say at some point the camera is put aside to just stop and enjoy the bird.

    Do you know I have seen American Bittern here in the UK as they do rarely cross the Atlantic Ocean _ amazing.

    By the way our European Bittern is very secretive and difficult to see or photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that?!! And as you say amazing. I'm gonna have to go to Google and search for the European Bittern now.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos of this beautiful bird. Have a great weekend and thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thank YOU Gunilla for sharing your link this weekend.

      Delete
  7. now I envy you. This is such a gret bird to see and be able to really study. And so many good shots. Congrat to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful shots, Anni. Love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you! I've only seen one, and got one photo before he flew away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Jen. I enjoyed your perspective this weekend on my home town birding area.

      Delete
  10. Great views Anni. Our version is far more secretive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Bittern photographs are really beautiful. I great find. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is always great to see a bittern. I get a kick out of how they sometimes act as if you cannot see them, as they seem to place great confidence in their camouflage even if out in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, a difficult bird to photograph. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic images, Bitterns are in trouble over here with loss of habitat, but the RSPB is doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Anni, the American Bittern is a great bird. Awesome sighting and photos.. Thank you for hosting, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pun in the title! :)

    What an impressive bird! It's so lovely that you took the time to enjoy the moment without the camera too, after you got such wonderful photos of course.

    The little herbs and grasses growing in the pond look healthy and varied, so maybe draining the water and starting again was a wise choice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cool and I'm so glad you took photos to share before just watching. Looks like a really fun bird to watch but then - aren't they all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes, they ARE fun to watch...all of 'em. Thanks MT

      Delete
  18. Just LOVE your Bittern photos! It's a very rare occurrence to see one of those around here. They're secretive and like to stay hidden. You did GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That American Bittern is beautiful! How great you got to see it. I really hope that wetlands returns to its natural state. It sounds like a treasure trove of birds anyway. Glad they are getting rid of those invasive pepper trees. I am so sorry I didn't even think to check the button on your sidebar. I kept checking at the top of the page where your Three were still showing. I'll know better next time in case that doesn't change. I didn't want to miss out linking up this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it was a hectic weekend for me and Bud...well, actually the entire week. Long story. And my mind wasn't 'all here'...but then come to think of it...when is it EVER 'all here'. lol

      Glad you got over here to share you link tho, Marie. And thanks!!!

      Delete
  20. I think that it is wonderful that they are trying to slowly bring the wetland back..it shows a concern for the environment and care that it is done right. The American Bittern is a gorgeous bird.. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yes indeed. And to top it off, sometime soon, it'll not only be pleasing to the wildlife and Spring Migrators, it'll be pretty again.

      Delete
  21. These are great photos, Anni. The Bittern is so well camouflaged amid that dense vegetation, it would be difficult to see it, let alone photograph it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing job on these shots!! I've only seen this bird from a great distance with a scope. Even then, he was hard to make out. Very impressed, Anni! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The best bittern pictures I've ever seen. What a great day. Thank you for hosting. Sorry to be so late, I have been having trouble commenting on Google blogs lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...and sad part of it all.....I'm on Blogger. So, it's just not those who are on wordpress or some other blog server. Sad. Thanks Sallie

      Delete
  24. This time I have no link with birds but I enjoy it all the birds I see Anni: let-) The links in your post have many beautiful things to see.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  25. How enchanting. I can understand why you would stop taking photos and just sit back and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great bird - back in the UK the Bitterns (which are very rare) make a sound called Booming - its sounds like air being blown over a milk bottle. I have not heard such a noise in Australia.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  27. These pictures are really great Anni!
    Wonderful to see and I'm quite envious of these pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents