Bittern-sweet Memories part two


Last week, the American Bittern. This week a smaller bittern and a bit more elusive even if it's considered a year 'round resident on the coast; the Least Bittern.  Both bitterns are of the heron family. Usually when spotted they're very well hidden and/or difficult to find a good position with the camera to actually get a decent photograph. When I did see it this time,  at first sight, its head was the only thing protruding from the tall reed grasses. As I stood and watched it, it was getting primed for a hunt!! It slowly, quietly, and deftly maneuvered itself through the cattail reed to water's edge and remained very stealthy not moving anything but its eyes...soon, BAM!!! The catch of the day. Just look at the magnificent stretching of the neck to feast upon its prey, and STILL remain attached by its hind feet on the thin blades, nearly tripling its length!!







LEAST BITTERN
photos taken: Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat range: Least Bittern


Now, share your birding experiences:





49 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures and beautiful mosaics. And that place the Leona Turnbull Ctr is where I first saw this bird and so many others. I actually met Leona! Loved Port A ...you are lucky to live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that you got a chance to meet the lady for whom the center is named is awesome. thanks Sallie.

      Delete
  2. Hi Anni, cool captures of the Least Bittern! They are awesome birds to see. Great sighting.. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are just AWESOME shots! GREAT catch by you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You summed it up well Anni. That is hunting with a capital "H" and you did a fantastic job in capturing the stealth of the bittern.

    Thanks for the chance to join in today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome shots! I love the last one. Thanks for hosting, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some great shots. It looks like you were climbing along right with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Sharon...but really I was on 'dry dock'. lol

      Delete
  7. Wow! That stretch! Such an amazing bird! And your photos are like green and gold jewels, and just as clear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Marie. I like the reference to the green and gold jewels.

      Delete
  8. Oh Anni, what awesome shots! That's one handsome bird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni, splendid bird. Only saw one once and that was on the fly. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unbelievable skill is seen in this hunt.The photographer also shows great skill and patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Ruth. I was so enthralled with the bird's prowess I kept snapping.

      Delete
  11. Oh my GOSH, you got super pictures!! You must have been so quiet, as this bird is so secretive and hidden most of the time. This is a really rare find in my book. Most people will never see one, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Outstanding photos of this gorgeous bird Anni. What an amazing bird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Bittern has such long and unique beak; wow the neck in the last picture♪  Such great captures, Anni. And ï½”hank you very much for hosting.

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for stopping by today... we have been up since 3. we are early people and wake up at 4 drink coffee in bed until 5.. this is a beautiful bird. great shots to... i to am a senior and retired on gulf coast, but we are in Bradenton, below Tampa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...Thanks for dropping in today.

      BTW...I am Anni...aka Hootin' Anni

      Delete
  15. Brilliant images. well done on catching this bird on camera, amazing how it stretches out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a beauty....and a very interesting "reach"!!!! amazing captures, a very thrilling sighting i would imagine!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks Debbie. I'm glad you shared your link today!! Wonderful egret images.

      Delete
  17. I really liekd the last image. How on earth does it do that. Such a long neck and that angle. Amazing. Your shot is a winner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah, forgot, I love the two birds in your header. So cleverly done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very interesting bird and wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous shooting, Anni! Amazing how athletic and focused they are on catching their prey. Thank you so much for hosting the meme.

    ReplyDelete
  21. He's like that stretchy superhero, rubber man or something. Where does he hide that neck?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very neat photo of the bittern! He has such a long neck he could almost be a giraffe!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What SUPER shots and I bet that was super fun to watch and then see such great photos in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is for sure one of the most amazing birds you have ever posted! And I remember your first post about it. I love how you have done the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  25. stunning image's, very well presented in this lovely post, well done again Anni

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow.... is that ever a streeeeeetch..... !!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ohw wow !!!! An American bittern !!! What a moie bird and what cool that you saw this and could foot Cabling. The bittern see you almost never because he is so shy but you leave here a series prachgie see. What a beautiful colors, this bittern.

    I tried a blog post today emt birds and otherwise tomorrow.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents