Stopping to Rest...


please note: I may not be online to view your valued posts this week until later...I've explained it all on THIS POST.


The following images are not the best I've taken [but they're not the worst either...lol]. Bud and I stopped at a 'hot spot' in Brooks County Texas about a week ago...for a pit stop. Yes, a rest area on one of the busiest highways in south central Texas. And by busy, I can vouch for all the truck traffic zipping by at high speeds. Yet, this rest stop is a favorite for some migrating birds. And, yes, last Spring, the very vagrant bird, the Painted Redstart that I photographed and shared a few months back, returned this Fall! Same area...same rest stop. Altho, it was very elusive and very active, photos of the redstart were nigh on to impossible to get any good ones that day. And we were in a bit of a hurry to get back on the road, so not much time taken on this day. There were many, many sparrows, green jays, and woodpeckers. And just before we were getting ready to leave and drive on, a few bluebirds showed themselves. All I saw were three males; no females. With that little bit of background of our road trip, I share what few photos I took before heading down the road once again----


PAINTED REDSTART
EASTERN BLUEBIRD
GOLDEN FRONTED WOODPECKER
COMMON HOUSE SPARROW
photos taken: Brooks County Rest Area - outside of Falfurrias, Texas
habitat maps: Painted Redstart, Eastern Bluebird, Golden Fronted Woodpecker, House Sparrow

TRIVIA:  The oldest recorded Eastern Bluebird was 10 years 5 months old

Now share your birding experiences:




27 comments:

  1. Lovely collection of these beautiful birds !
    Anni, I wish you a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bluebirds!! Lets see, also a red belied woodpecker (WRONG), and a sparrow...I did not guess right on the others, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your new PC is up and running by now Anni. Give me a shout if yer struggling and I'll pop by and sort it out.

    Shame you couldn't hang about at the rest stop there's real nice birds there.

    Your Erik must be a lovely son buying you a new desktop like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cracking set of beautiful birds. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos! I hope you get your computer up and running soon. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess birds like a well timed rest stop as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very nice little rest area. I guess the redstart is moody. Sometimes he's very cooperative, but I'm hearing other times not. I hope he hangs around so I can visit him again on my next visit south.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so many fine birds in a little while. Almost too good to be true. And, good luck with the new desktop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always amazed when individual migrants turn up in the same location. Lovely selection of images Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a post about birds this week. :-( But I wanted to come by and see what you posted. Beautiful birds there are that rest stop. I wonder where you are headed and what great photos it will yield! :-) Thanks for your glowing comments on my house finch and Cassins kingbird post last week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is remarkable how such a mundane place can yield such a rarity as the Painted Redstart. Although I saw many when we took the Copper Canyon rail trip in Mexico, my only other sighting was in Madiera Canyon in Arizona. Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni, what a place to take a rest (for the birder and the bird). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love bluebirds..we've been spotting a few around here lately. It's been a good while since I've seen any until now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful birds to see, they are so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your birds. Port A and/or CC are the only places I've ever seen a redstart. Everyone else at the birding places took them for granted! Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful series of photos! - Great pit-stop sightings!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really nice collection of photos - I always enjoy seeing the birds you see!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have quite a nice collection of birds here! I'm a little jealous of the Redstart and Golden-fronted Woodpecker. Wow. Hope I can join in the linky this week. I can't seem to get my rear in gear!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Finally linked in! Hope you are coming along nicely with the new computer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lovely group of birds. I never see Bluebirds here.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents