 |
| Boardwalk incline to the elevated Observation Deck - Oso Bay |
A couple of days before Christmas Bud and I went for a 2 mile walk around the Oso Bay area [more like 3 miles since we took a few 'off the beaten path' trails also]. It was a mild day, but oh the fog!! I love fog. By the time we arrived at the parking area, the misty air was thinning out and drying up a bit. But it still lingered, and a gray gloom was cast over our morning. Not too much bird activity. As we hiked at a quick pace over the walkway, we spotted a hawk. I was not able to ID it since it flew through just above the brush and bushes at a speed I couldn't keep up with through the lens. We came to a fork in the route where one path goes into the chaparral --desert like with mesquite, cactus, and yucca. Anyway, over the few hours outdoors, we didn't add much too to our Christmas Count. I really enjoyed this trek...along the way, we only saw three other two legged souls with their best friends on a leash...the four legged kind. They were just as crazy as we were out in the foggy air... it was now getting mighty chilly as a cold front moved in all to quickly!! [By Christmas morn the low temperature was near freezing...36 degrees F/2.2 C] A beautiful, quiet, walk to be had.
 |
| JFK Causeway |
Now, share your birding experiences:
For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:
Anni, your shots are excellent !
ReplyDeleteGreetings
Love the thrasher!
ReplyDeleteLike a whole different world being in the peace and quiet and seeing all the hustle and bustle right across the way. Beautiful bird shots. Hope you have a super weekend!
ReplyDeleteThe crested Caracara is special, we have none around here, and they are a very impressive bird. I have only seen a thrasher once, they like to hide. But the Mockingbird I am only too familiar with. We have many, and one attacked me once outside a mall. LOVE the beautiful fog!!!
ReplyDeletelove the caracara. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, Anni! A wonderful outing and great bird sighting.. The Caracara is a cool bird. Great shots. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.. Have a happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteI really like the effect that the fog gives to these images.
ReplyDeleteBirding in the fog, beautiful photos.
ReplyDeleteEven with the fog you got some beautiful photographs Anni.
ReplyDeleteHi Anni. Now I'm not a great fan of fog or mist for birding but I would certainly have liked to join you and Bud on that hike and watched the Osprey through the mist.
ReplyDeleteI often do as you do also, set out on a fixed route and take so many side trails and detours that I end up doing double the intended distance. I reckon we have inquiring minds?
I'm pleased you're both back to "birding normality" so quickly. All Best Wishes for 2015 and thanks for all your id-rather-b-birdin during 2014.
Really enjoyed your foggy walk! We also had dense fog, yesterday morning here in south Florida. As with you, there were few birds out and I took some landscape photos that I thought might look great-- NOT. My lens was fogged up because the air conditioning had to be turned on, and I did not realize it! This week I myself have been in a "fog" keeping track of the days, with Christmas and lots of singing in our choir, so thanks for the invite, and thank you for hosting this site. Best wishes for a Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteAnni, the fog adds a surreal touch. Happy New Year. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYour blog is pretty in purple. Happy New Year Anni!
ReplyDeleteNice shots of the birds! I like fog as well--as long as it doesn't make travelling difficult.
ReplyDeleteNice shots! Have a great New Year.
ReplyDeleteWe spend a couple of days on Padre Island the first of December. It was foggy there, too!
ReplyDeleteSo fun seeing the cool birds you have down there. Not so much the traffic but so glad you got to go for a lovely walk anyway!
ReplyDeleteWonderful fog-soft photos! Good you enjoyed the walk as well!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great place for a bird walk, the White Ibis is an impressive bird, and the Caracara. It's cold here too, and the little birds are enjoying my bird seeds.
ReplyDeleteI discovered your site this morning through Eileen! It is always nice to meet other birders! Beautiful captures!
ReplyDeleteAll are wonderful, but I particularly loved the Thrasher. The Crested Caracara is on my wish list for 2015. I'm going to try to have a Big Year, beating last year's total of 119. Wishing you all the best for the coming year.
ReplyDeleteyou got some birds despite the fog :)
ReplyDelete