Reddish, Whitish and Blackish all over...


Note: American Birding Association has named the Green Heron the Bird of the Year for 2015


I'll begin this post with a little comedy relief while leaving a birding area a few weeks back. I'm also relying on my photo albums from long ago since I've not been out birding lately. This first bird, the Moorhen, had found some cattail root and was oh so curious...


COMMON MOORHEN
photos taken: Port Arnasas Birding Center - Port Aransas, Texas
habitat map: Common Moorhen



Then, from September of 2014, a rare Reddish Egret was spotted. Guide books state these as a species of concern since fewer by the year are reported. Luckily, here in South Texas they have been plentiful at times. This is the Reddish Egret....in 'red'. They do go through a white morph also. But in order to differentiate them from other 'more common' egrets pay attention to their dining behavior. They are known to go into a 'frenzied' dance routine while feeding. Twisting, turning, canopying [last photo will explain the reference to canopy], pulling an entire 360 degree turn, and all amok in motion. Altho, some birders from the Texas Birding Association have witnessed other egrets of the same dance routine and not being the Reddish Egret...there is some confusion. But, I also check the feeding frenzy THEN check the bill...if the bill is pinkish to black, it's a Reddish Egret!!! I watched a white morph Reddish Egret feeding a few months later, in December 'winter' garb [same species as above in the grey/reddish]...




This Behavior with outstretched wings is canopying

REDDISH EGRET
photos taken: Indian Point Park/Sunset Lakes - Portland, Texas
habitat map: Reddish Egret


Now, share your birding experiences:






For use of graphic link in your post, copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:




or use text linking only copy text in lavender text area below and paste into your blog post:

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful birds and great shots !
    Have a happy weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that you have photographed both color morphs of the Reddish Egret. I have only gotten the red in addition to an immature one that visited our local wetlands 18 miles inland. That moorhen certainly has looked at the cattail root every whcih way! I featured the Green Heron in my blog today to celebrate its ABA designation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Moorhen! That is special, I have never seen one. For some reason he reminds me of England. Maybe it is the reference to Moors. The series of Egret pictures are really something! He looks like he is running, or excited. Is he doing that dance routine? I love visiting and seeing all the pretty lavender, I can almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are feeling better, wonderful images, Anni! I have yet to see the Reddish Egret, so it is on my wish list.. Great birds! Thanks for hosting..Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. all birds i've not seen in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. I'm especially impressed by your egret photos. We have many egrets in the local area but it's impossible to approach within forty metres of them. They fly off even when they see us on the other side of the field. You've done great!!!

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos of the beautiful birds. I wish you a peaceful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic bird images. Love the last one, never see one doing that. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all a delightful set of bird images Anni. Have a great week~

    ReplyDelete
  10. i completely forgot to comment. oops. i am back too. such a graceful bird. i see you took away your photo - i miss seeing you. always fun to see my friend from Texas. take care. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Anni!:) Wonderful series of shots. I have yet to see the colourful.Morehen and would love to see the Egret dance.

    Sorry to learn you have not been well, hope you are feeling better.
    Warm Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful post, Anni. Beautiful photographs and so much to learn. I am coming back this evening to visit other bloggers. I hope you are out birding as I write :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni, colorful collage. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Moorhen. It is one of my favourite birds :) We had one pair in the pond 2 miles from my home last summer.Kept me busy even if I can´t get close enough to them

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning from Spain. Yes I'm in sunny Lanzarote for a while to escape the UK weather. I'm for a feeding frenzy now and again and maybe a drink or two of sangria.

    You and Bud take care Anni. Catch up with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful series of photos Anni but so sorry you haven't been feeling well. Hope by now that you are on the mend. Have a great week :)


    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful shots of the egrets, Anni! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post and I learned there is a moorhen that looks just like a red billed coot! Who knew! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome shots of the Reddish Egret! I did not know that there was a "white" variety. Wonderful images of the Moorhen. I finally saw one last spring. Don't think I'll ever see the Reddish. Hope you are feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Again, a blog full of beautiful birds. I am impressed by the heron in picture 4. Which I find really great to see.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great shots of the Moorhen. Neat seeing the canopying behavior of the lovely Egret.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How cool! I did not know that about the "reddish" egret- nor the white. I learn so much here- thanks Anni!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents